Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

McKercher is easily ready to sit off LDU/Wardlaw/Powell and provide damaging run in transition through the middle on turnover.

He got drafted doing it.

Which is what Clarko is asking of Laz.
There are some big boys in AFL midfields. He would probably get pretty banged up if he played a lot of the season in there.

I think it’s the right move to ease him in from half back and build up towards it next year.

Zurhaar is perfect for the role and even though it didn’t show on the scoreboard, we looked infinitely better when he replaced Lazz.

Powell at least positioned himself well to receive and got it on the boot to a 50:50.

Laz unfortunately just coughed it up in the contest. He did look okay on the burst but that only happened once.

I'm usually the first campaigner to rip in but I'm genuinely happy to give him one more week.
Yesterday was a hot track against a slick GWS midfield.
If he gets it less than 20 times and has 0 clearances from 18 centre bounce attendances again, then we pull the pin and draw a line through his name. Wont get a better opportunity or time than in March to stake a claim.

There are some big boys in AFL midfields. He would probably get pretty banged up if he played a lot of the season in there.

I think it’s the right move to ease him in from half back and build up towards it next year.

Zurhaar is perfect for the role and even though it didn’t show on the scoreboard, we looked infinitely better when he replaced Lazz.

Did we though? Our best quarter was our second and Cam was nowhere near the midfield then.

Only had it 13 times. Fumbled alot, missed targets.
18 centre bounce attendances, didn't manage a clearance for the game.

He wasn’t great, but he covered the ground more responsively for four quarters than I’ve ever seen Phillips do.

I’m fine with giving him another game, even with the so-so skills he brings. (And let’s face it, he’s not at Howe levels)

If and when he gets dropped, Simpkin would be a much better replacement than Phillips in the role I saw Laz play yesterday.

Perhaps someone has to figure out if his bloke got it
He is a defensive midfielder
The GWS midfield group as a whole found it plenty.

Green 37, Coniglio 30, Kelly 24, Callaghan 24, O'Halloran 16 (55% TOG)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm usually the first campaigner to rip in but I'm genuinely happy to give him one more week.
Yesterday was a hot track against a slick GWS midfield.
If he gets it less than 20 times and has 0 clearances from 18 centre bounce attendances again, then we pull the pin and draw a line through his name. Wont get a better opportunity or time than in March to stake a claim.

Agree. Massive over reactions here.

Not that it’s Lazzaro alone.

As I said previously he did more than any other game he played at the level other than final round last year.

Agree. Massive over reactions here.

Not that it’s Lazzaro alone.

As I said previously he did more than any other game he played at the level other than final round last year.
Against Geelong last year he had more touches and made 10 tackles.

I wasn’t overly impressed with Charlie yesterday however having impressed those who matter over the preseason he deserves a block of games, if we’re still having this conversation after we’ve played Brisbane then maybe it’s time to reconsider.

And as much as I’d prefer Will Phillips in the side, not necessarily at the expense of Charlie, he needs to put together a block of VFL games that forces the selectors to pick him for the seniors.

I thought the effort was obvious, but equally obvious were the limitations. If he was 186/88 he’d potentially be a good option as a hard running defensive mid (no taggers these days). As it is, I don’t see a role as anything other than break glass in case of an emergency.

I thought the effort was obvious, but equally obvious were the limitations. If he was 186/88 he’d potentially be a good option as a hard running defensive mid (no taggers these days). As it is, I don’t see a role as anything other than break glass in case of an emergency.
Simply just not good enough. Limited AFL footballer. Ok VFL & that’s the reality. Great trainer , attitude & hard worker but unfortunately this does not mean u will make it.

Massive over reactions here.

In general over the entire board about a single game.

It is almost as if because we got fit people expected we’d go from 17th to contender in a single f***ing preseason.

His effort over the preseason earned him a spot for what will likely be multiple weeks.

For him if he’s ever going to step up it has to be right now.

Want him to make it

But the multiple i50 that went no where or straight to GWS after all the hard work in the middle would be so deflating for the forwards (and the team overall)

Just happened too many times. Do we persist? Idk but W Phil could come in instead or change his role to a tagger

Just one play, of a few that drove me mad, about 2 minutes till 3/4 time, he receives a downfield free, just inside the 50m, after considering all his options, kicks it to the top of the goalsquare, for you guessed it, Sam Taylor to take another intercept mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back