Review #36: Matthew McDonough

Remove this Banner Ad

Not based on yesterday's game. However, I'd rather him playing forward than Morris or Gordon.... He's still young. I have said plenty about my doubts on McDonough making it and he didn't set the world on fire but I do think he's a better option than those I mentioned. Took a couple of marks where he was likely to get smashed. Saved a goal earlier when he got in the way of Nick Riewoldt (and got cleaned up for his trouble). I just want to see him hit the scoreboard. I'd keep playing him in the short term. However with Griff, Titch, TV, Conca, C.Ellis and Knights to come back, he may well struggle to hold his spot...
fairly accurate post...Mcdo is better than Gordon for sure but thats it...will not hold spot when the real players come back into the side..

I haven't seen the game as I am overseas but those stats are basically the same as those that players like Newman and Lambert (when he first came in) put up - and they have less upside, so I can't see why we wouldn't persevere with McDonough for at least another week.

needs to be given a few weeks in the seniors but I see him as sub this week or back to the vfl. offers more then newman,Gordon,morris. but has a lot of reece conca about him doesn't have the body of an afl player

Why not give him a second game?

Gordon was putrid when he came on. McDonough at least looks capable just needs to get more involved which will come with time playing the same role. He also has learnt to put his body on the line which he did when he saved a shot on goal against N.Riewoldt.

I'd be dropping Gordon. Bringing in Griffiths if fit or McBean, and making Newman sub.

would give him until round 20 in the seniors give him time and reassess him then.think he will be better for the run and playing freo,hawksand the crows in the next 3 weeks will show him what he needs to do to make it at this level he has upside were Gordon is a proven spud

Interesting thread

Apparently a fit young small/mid sized player needs three pre seasons just to be fit enough to play afl. Are we a football club or a fat camp?

Development I get, but three years just to get fit?

Happy to see him get a few games in a row, he deserves a crack after a strong year in the 2's. But I'm not sure he'll ever be in our best 22. Edwards, Ty, Griff, Conca and Cellis all have claims so that's who'll be squeezing your Gordon's, Newman's, Hunts out, not Matty.

That being the case, play him against Adelaide in Adelaide and hope he has a blinder to get his currency up! :p

If we play Knights this week we will be rushing his recovery and risking him breaking down again. Is that what you really want?
and how do u know that..do u work at the club....are u a doctor...the point is if he is ready to play this week ones at the club who actually know what there doin in regard to Knights ...will make that call..not some bf person who has got no idea...if he comes back in he wil replace the duds we have in the current team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting thread

Apparently a fit young small/mid sized player needs three pre seasons just to be fit enough to play afl. Are we a football club or a fat camp?

No one can go from a chubby junior to AFL level fitness in just one preseason legally

and how do u know that..do u work at the club....are u a doctor...the point is if he is ready to play this week ones at the club who actually know what there doin in regard to Knights ...will make that call..not some bf person who has got no idea...if he comes back in he wil replace the duds we have in the current team
Because his workload has been pretty clearly managed at VFL level by the fact he STILL HASN'T PLAYED A FULL GAME AT VFL LEVEL!!!
Did the asylum have a breakout tonight?

No one can go from a chubby junior to AFL level fitness in just one preseason legally

One, don't disagree, but three?!?

Has his weight and body shape improved at all, because it doesn't look like it has to me.

How many extra sessions is he doing to trim down? How much training in his own time?

Plenty of players have overcome weight issues by dipping into their own time and pocket, and busting a gut.

Has McDonough?

Before we give him all these free passes people want to throw at him, I'd be wanting to be certain he's doing off field what is needed to justify it.

Because his workload has been pretty clearly managed at VFL level by the fact he STILL HASN'T PLAYED A FULL GAME AT VFL LEVEL!!!
Did the asylum have a breakout tonight?
If you havnt noticed sometimes senior players returning from injury spend little time in the vfl coming back...whether this is the case with Knights i dont know...but as soon as he is ready by the club ..he will come straight back in..

One, don't disagree, but three?!?

Has his weight and body shape improved at all, because it doesn't look like it has to me.

How many extra sessions is he doing to trim down? How much training in his own time?

Plenty of players have overcome weight issues by dipping into their own time and pocket, and busting a gut.

Has McDonough?

Before we give him all these free passes people want to throw at him, I'd be wanting to be certain he's doing off field what is needed to justify it.
Three is pretty common for most players to really adjust to full time AFL if they don't have the right body type out of the draft

If you havnt noticed sometimes senior players returning from injury spend little time in the vfl coming back...whether this is the case with Knights i dont know...but as soon as he is ready by the club ..he will come straight back in..
With the same injury history that Knights has had? Pretty special case there.

Three is pretty common for most players to really adjust to full time AFL if they don't have the right body type out of the draft

That's not what you said though. Adjusting to the game is one thing, you are talking about him simply being fit enough to play the game.

The latter comes well before the former. How many more years do you think it will take him to get his required fitness (he's had two already), and how long after that before he's adjusted to the speed and tempo of the modern game?

Interesting thread

I get different people have different body types...........but for n AFL footballer he is fat. Just like Conca.....not good enough.

Having stated that I think he can play. Just seems a bit nervous at the moment from inexperience. A few games in a row would help. Playing him ahead of list clogger Newman would help him!!:mad:

Would have been great for his confidence to nab that goal.

I was actually hoping we'd sub off one of our better players (to give them an extra bit of rest for the 2 massive games to come) and see McDonough run out the game but wasn't to be.

Think he showed some signs but also got lost at times too with the pace and positioning of AFL. Hopefully will get a few more games this season but with a few players coming back into the frame, might be hard.

McDonough is the most overated player on this board..by a long way! So much talk..yet people dont realise how different VFL is from the seniors

I think they are saying give him a few games to assess....up to now he has basically had half a game then dropped...can't get up to AFL speed.instantly ..takes a couple of games

No one is suggesting he is Jesus ( that's Ty)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back