Past #36: Shannon Watt - drafted at #14 in '97 ND - 155 games - 0 Brownlow votes - original whipping boy

Do you agree with the 'Watt' decision?

• Yes

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 46.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not before time.

All of these outstanding tall timber youngsters have been disappointing for us, including him.

Granted he is only young, but he was a priority selection and our record on those has been poor.

And his performances over three years in my opinion have not measured up to the potentioal touted.

Compare him with the likes of Leigh Brown etc at Fremantle who performed just one year out and you realise how imperative it is that he performs.

I hope he does, but I was a greater believer in the likes of Hewitt and Hay.

Would like to hear how he is going though also.

I hoping Shannon Watt and Adam Lange have big years nest season. Adam showed a lot of potential last season and hopefully Shannon can make the same improvement.

Why do we have so many guys in our team with the name Shannon, isn't it a girls name. My sister's name is Shannon and I'm pretty sure she's a girl, although she supports Carlton, so maybe further research is needed before I commit to that comment.

DEVO
the mean spirited Roo

Sorry sis

Lange will be an absolute cracker next season.

Smarter, harder, he has wonderful vision and scope for improvement.

As for Watt the jury is well and truly out for me.

Make or break

I agree with kimhodgmansmo on Lange. He started 2000 pretty well with some very good games in defence, before his form took a downturn midyear. But when he played forward, I liked the way he threw himself into pack situations....maybe if Pagan guarantees him 3 or 4 games in a row, he'll get the confidence to be a consistent performer in our side.

To me, Lange is a classic case of a young player not being given adequate opportunity in a position, and therefore is becoming uncertain of his own capabilities. This would be my chief concern with Denis's coaching, great coach though he is.
Lange looks like a real prospect for CHF, if only he is given some opportunities.

------------------
Trample the Weak,
Hurdle the Dead.

Agreed, and I think his efforts down back have proven he will be a more effective forward - they were ordinary to say the least.

But the guy has a big heart and plays like Archer, but with more size.

He looks a given for Centre Half Forward or that second forward option ala Schwarz.

Pagan needs to run with him and I did read in the HUN that he has already added 4-5kg bulk to his frame.

The boy is keen, talented, and could be a poor man's Carey, as the King goes further down forward to kick a ton or become the greatest centre half back in history.

I think Langey was a bit overawed on some occassions. He looked a bit Carey wary and didn't attack the ball as hard when the Duck was in the area.

Maybe plonk him down at CHF when the Duck moves down back and tell him to cut loose!! - all it would take would be one good game for the confidence and he'd be away!!

I still remember that game where he ran back into and crashed a pack, coming up with the mark - bought a smile to my face and a slight sense of deja vu!!!
wink.gif

Cheers

Gonzo

Lange,
A bit to short.
Way to slow.
Maybe his strength, courage and good hands are good enough to make-up for his shortcomings.
Good luck to him!

Watt,
Has not shown one sign that he will make the grade.
But good luck to him anyway!

I must confess, I would have called him for 192cm or thereabouts, but I see from the AFL player info that he is 186cm. I am very surprised by that, but I must agree that is too short for CHF. Slow is not so important, as there are few slower than Whitnall and he is talked of as a future champion CHF.
So where to play Lange ?

------------------
Trample the Weak,
Hurdle the Dead.

Shannon Watt was a brilliant junior footballer, so he obviously has the talent. I'd like to see him develop as perhaps a replacement for Micky Martyn when he retires. He has the height, and just needs to bulk up a bit (from all reports he is doing that anyway). Definitely a make or break year for him in 2001.

Adam Lange - play him up forward, beautiful long kick and a strong mark, the opportunity is there for him to be our 3rd marking forward (now that Sholly has retired.

What about Brady Rawlings?? Does anyone think he will get a game next year?? Like Lange, he needs the opportunity of putting a couple together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must say, I have never seen even a glimmer of talent in Rawlings and I do not understand why he is still on the list. Obviously better judges than me see something.

------------------
Trample the Weak,
Hurdle the Dead.

Shannon Watt has the opportunity of a lifetime to grab a spot in the backline of the Seniors.If he cannot do this within 11 games ,and hold his position ,he is not up to AFL football and should be given the flick!!!

warrior

How did the young fella pull up after the match? Didn't know he convulsed 'til i saw the tape this morning. Looked awful, hope the young bloke's OK.

where's wally?

When I asked one of the guys from Nth he said that he was awake and they were happy about that as he was ourt for quiet awhile, there was some thought that he had broken his collarbone, but there is nothing about that in the paper this morning.

Interesting question.

Hilts, do they keep these stats in the VFL records this year?

I can't think of where else you'd find it or whether someone close to the reserves coach might be able to find out.

Best bet would be to consult the official AFL book issued every year. I have AFL 2000 (covering season 1999).

Shannon Watt played 20 reserves games in 1999. Don't have any info for other years.

Originally posted by 35eye:
Interesting question.

Hilts, do they keep these stats in the VFL records this year?

I can't think of where else you'd find it or whether someone close to the reserves coach might be able to find out.

I had a look through this year's VFL records and there are no stats again which is a shame. I will see what I can find out.
biggrin.gif

------------------
MARK HILTON FOR THE SENIOR LIST!

Back