Delisted #37: Sean Gregory

Remove this Banner Ad

Enough of this "my boy" rubbish.

Unless a poster has gone out of their way to denounce a player (see: rines and myself with Gumby, The House with Slattery, NAB with Melksham, plenty with Myers and Hooker)...

then every single player is generally every supporter's "boy".

Hibbo has and always will be 'my boy' Kong..

Enough of this "my boy" rubbish.

Unless a poster has gone out of their way to denounce a player (see: rines and myself with Gumby, The House with Slattery, NAB with Melksham, plenty with Myers and Hooker)...

then every single player is generally every supporter's "boy".

You're my boy Kong.

Red and Black Preview, #37, Sean Gregory

Sean takes flight over the old man

Height: 196cms

Weight: 75kgs

Games: 0

Position: Defender

Fantasy Relevance: No

Look Out For: Dustin Fletcher references, Closing speed, Jokes about Dustin Fletcher, Timely fists

Sean Gregory came to Essendon with the worst kind of pressure on him… ‘replace Dustin Fletcher’, but the skinny 20 year old showed enough glimpses in 2013 to suggest that he might have a big future ahead of him.

At 75 kilos, Gregory lands on the extremely light side for an AFL key defender, but what he currently lacks in bulk and strength, he makes up for with some pretty incredible closing speed for someone of his height. Several times in the VFL he looked comfortably beaten while grappling with larger opponents, only to track them down and get a fist in at the last moment.

What to expect in 2014: While 2013 was more of a learning year, expect Sean to spend this year holding down a key defensive post in the VFL. He’ll still get beaten at times because of his lack of size, but look for him to try and use his athleticism to provide some run and rebound out of defence, because the majority of his opponents will simply not be able to go with him.

He was also thrown into the forward line at times last year to decent effect, so watch out for that to happen again at times in the future, especially with the number of versatile key position players Essendon will have playing in the reserves.

Gregsy not getting a lot of love, he's got the least active player thread

Always was an ultra long term prospect because of his size and because we've got an abundence of KPDs.

He is a very appealing prospect because of his speed. It could be the ability to go with smalls that see him get his initial chances and I'd certainly not be against that.

It woudl be good to get some idea of his progress and the current level of expectation from within the club.

Always was an ultra long term prospect because of his size and because we've got an abundence of KPDs.

He is a very appealing prospect because of his speed. It could be the ability to go with smalls that see him get his initial chances and I'd certainly not be against that.

It woudl be good to get some idea of his progress and the current level of expectation from within the club.

he definitely has the toe to do it. If he can get some sort of bulk on him he'll be a fantastic prospect because if he's not the quickest key defender in the country he's damn close

Was listening to someone, maybe Dermie, talking about the difficulty of matching up on Jeremy Cameron. Got me thinking just what a boon Gregory could be. You look at the monster forwardline GWS is building but when you've got a combination of Hurley, Carlisle, Hooker and a Gregory good enough to push for best 22 selection to throw at them it doesn't seem so bad.

There's obviously a lot of water to pass udner the bridge before we're faced with that prospect if it even becomes a possibility.

Gregsy not getting a lot of love, he's got the least active player thread
I keep forgetting he's on our list, I keep seeing #37 and seeing -EXPLETIVE DELETED-

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I keep forgetting he's on our list, I keep seeing #37 and seeing -EXPLETIVE DELETED-

I've blocked it out completely, Marc Bullen for the win

I've blocked it out completely, Marc Bullen for the win
Still remember his picture being in my 2004 (?) Essendon calender. Good times.

Anyway, woo Sticks!

Oh **** off you clown. Are my memories of U14's shame glory to be forever tainted?

I love that he averaged a monster 13 possessions a game in the WAFL!!

Watching this kid with a bit of interest.

Still a long way short of the required level for AFL level. But there's something about him.

Certainly, he has very noticeable toe off the mark. Especially for a bloke that tall.

Was listening to someone, maybe Dermie, talking about the difficulty of matching up on Jeremy Cameron. Got me thinking just what a boon Gregory could be. You look at the monster forwardline GWS is building but when you've got a combination of Hurley, Carlisle, Hooker and a Gregory good enough to push for best 22 selection to throw at them it doesn't seem so bad.

There's obviously a lot of water to pass udner the bridge before we're faced with that prospect if it even becomes a possibility.

Watching this kid with a bit of interest.

Still a long way short of the required level for AFL level. But there's something about him.

Certainly, he has very noticeable toe off the mark. Especially for a bloke that tall.

I think Doss summed it up perfectly.

He has something about him. Was probably the most active and involved I have seen him in any game thus far and certainly looks to be more confident now.

The Fletcher trademarks are scarily similar, the timely fist, the loping running style, the gangly legs. The kicking isn't nearly as good as Fletch but gets the job done.

Looks to have put on quite a bit of weight which is good.

First time I've seen him, I think, against Casey and he seemed solid enough without doing anything spectacular.

He looks a footballer which is a good thing. Going to have to continue to bulk up and work on his positioning but 18 months into a long term project it seems that things are going to plan. Will watch with a lot of interest for the rest of the year.

Looks to have put on quite a bit of weight which is good.

He looks a footballer which is a good thing. Going to have to continue to bulk up and work on his positioning but 18 months into a long term project it seems that things are going to plan. Will watch with a lot of interest for the rest of the year.

Come on Bruno. Bulk is over rated, just ask Fletch !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back