AFL Player #38: Archie Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

Just checking in on the draft stuff now and saw this thread…

Um ok, we’ve done very well in this draft. Good swan song Adrian.

Any close watchers know why he slid so far after being touted as a possible first-rounder?
Haven’t watched him closely but

STRENGTHS:

• Intercept game
  • Kicking
  • Reading the play
  • Rebounding
  • Run-and-carry
  • Speed-endurance mix

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Defensive craft
  • Strength
Off that it definitely reads like a Massimo replacement/upgrade.

Seems like he will have to get stronger and become a little bit more accountable, but he reads it nicely, can run like the clappers and is neat by foot.

Best case scenario Jack Sinclair?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ESPN had Archie going pick 1 of night two:

NIGHT TWO​

30. West Coast - Archie Roberts

Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro DEF, 184cm, 77kg

ESPN draft rank: 23

Archie Roberts has speed, class and the leadership attributes to make an immediate impact off halfback for West Coast. He's won premierships with the Dragons and in the APS with Haileybury, and has demonstrated elite professionalism in his junior career.

If not Roberts? Key defensive depth is a need for the Eagles and Ollie Murphy will appeal if still available. Other names linked include Ashton Moir, Koen Sanchez and Clay Hall, but the big name that West Coast will hope can fall to this mark is Lance Collard. Clubs have some concerns about his willingness to move interstate which may help him slide to this selection.

The challenge will be to get his defending up to an AFL standard. He'll probably start the year in the VFL but if he performs defensively then I really think he's a good chance to play early next season.

As strange as it may sound, I hope his lack of defense is more laziness than getting lost. It's easier to fix.

"We actually had Archie much higher on our draft board than this, so we're quite happy... no, legit... we really did... no joke, didn't we Rob? We actually did."
Yeah maybe 1 or 2 picks higher than 54.

Obviously not rated higher than Luamon at 39.

Wouldn't have been expensive to trade straight back up to 40 if we though we was that good.

Yeah maybe 1 or 2 picks higher than 54.

Obviously not rated higher than Luamon at 39.

Wouldn't have been expensive to trade straight back up to 40 if we though we was that good.
I think we were willing to see how cheap we could get before pouncing.

The challenge will be to get his defending up to an AFL standard. He'll probably start the year in the VFL but if he performs defensively then I really think he's a good chance to play early next season.

As strange as it may sound, I hope his lack of defense is more laziness than getting lost. It's easier to fix.
That was Massimo's issue, wasn't it?

Reckon Pidgeon McGrath might take him under his wing, could learn a lot from his defensive work.

He can play wing or half back and he's a great user, left footer and (possesses) a really high footy IQ as well

Sounds like change is in the air at bomberland.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back