Past #38: Josh Gibson - officially traded to Hawthorn for picks 25 & 41 in the 2009 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

What's more interesting is why stoja would dig it up r_boy, as he beat Hodgepodge to the punch.

before the start of the season i thought that our backline would be our stronger area in the ground. now im not so sure and just seeing how hawthorn used gibson tonight he would be a very handy inclusion atm

Have any media experts linked it to the 'punch' from the cheersquad member yet? :rolleyes:

I'm sure Caro will slip it into her next Ricky Nixon article, and blame us for his situation as well. We ARE tenants of "Cash Down the Drain Dome", where his office is located, after all.

Hes too much like Pratt and McMahon. Solid against weaker sides. Average against the top teams.
Thats why Spud got Archers number. Cause he actually takes the game on, provides run and takes it up to quality sides. Can use the ball well too.
Pratty i loved in 07 and 08 cause his toughness was like Archers but the **** ups and holding the balls are too costly and have always been against top 6 oppoisition.
Its why McMahon frustrate the hell out of me cause he has skill but he doesnt use it to his best ability.
Gibbo the same. All are good defenders but all are poor men Glen Archers.
You can spoil and be effective and play the boundary but the monumental **** ups by these guys is a joke cause they play AFL.
Im potting Dean again here but JYD and Glens type of footy was excellent in the 90s and early 00s. In recent times its a failure. And it showed. The coaching dished out was not good enough. And it reaks of it. Take our defence in 2006 when Brown, Watt, Gibson, Pratt, Perry and Hay was our backline. That defence there would make anyone ill. Makepeace too. It smells of not quite there is good enough.
The names Grima Tarrant Macmillan Firrito Pederson will scream to us one thing in the next few years. RELIABILITY.

Hes too much like Pratt and McMahon. Solid against weaker sides. Average against the top teams.
Thats why Spud got Archers number. Cause he actually takes the game on, provides run and takes it up to quality sides. Can use the ball well too.
Pratty i loved in 07 and 08 cause his toughness was like Archers but the **** ups and holding the balls are too costly and have always been against top 6 oppoisition.
Its why McMahon frustrate the hell out of me cause he has skill but he doesnt use it to his best ability.
Gibbo the same. All are good defenders but all are poor men Glen Archers.
You can spoil and be effective and play the boundary but the monumental **** ups by these guys is a joke cause they play AFL.
Im potting Dean again here but JYD and Glens type of footy was excellent in the 90s and early 00s. In recent times its a failure. And it showed. The coaching dished out was not good enough. And it reaks of it. Take our defence in 2006 when Brown, Watt, Gibson, Pratt, Perry and Hay was our backline. That defence there would make anyone ill. Makepeace too. It smells of not quite there is good enough.
The names Grima Tarrant Macmillan Firrito Pederson will scream to us one thing in the next few years. RELIABILITY.

Throw in Jesse Smith who would have solved our kick in problems had he been fit.

trollface_small.jpg

Just wait till the heat cranks up at the business end of the year.

Well, assuming Hawthorn are around there this year...he'll be exposed as always when it matters, i.e '08 EF vs Sydney.

We are obv the winners of the trade, wouldn't give up Basti for Franklin.

Gibbo > Thompson ainec. Gibbo > McMahon ainec.

Gibbo beat pretty much everyone that weighed less than 97kg that didn't have a 30 centimetre reach advantage. He also soul crushed Pav in the midfield at Telstra Dome one time!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would he get a game? No doubt

Would I rather have a 19yo running machine and 19yo 6ft4 untapped athelete on my list or another 27yo 'tweener' defender of average ability when we have another three who fit the discription?

He'll provide value for Hawthorn as will Hale as they are the types they need at this point in time.

In 4 years when Gibson and Hale are retired or running around in local footy, Bastinac, Black, Harper and hopefully Kennedy will be entering the peak years of their careers.

basti for franklin ofcourse you would!!!!

in relation to gibson yeah he would get a game in our defense... would'nt be the 1st 2nd 3rd or 4th picked though..... handy player we all know that.......very limited though.... noticed his kicking action is somewhat strange now... seemes to be scared to kick the ball with some grunt..... what hamstring did he injure??? the left?

He would get a game ahead of just about anyone except Firrito. Our backline is a rabble at the moment. He would actually add some poise and skill in terms of his kicking ability. He isnt one who will just gift the ball to the opposition like many of our guys have this year.

He would get a game ahead of just about anyone except Firrito. Our backline is a rabble at the moment. He would actually add some poise and skill in terms of his kicking ability. He isnt one who will just gift the ball to the opposition like many of our guys have this year.
Yep I would play him ahead of Thompson and Pratt, mind you there isnt much in it and the draft picks we got were far ahead of anything he could offer us at the moment.

We might be - but from memory the inclusions we got for him will make us a top 4 team for a sustained period.

Gib$on was injured for much of last year and appears to have been injured again (vs Carlton last weekend) on the eve of the finals. I am not sure we would be much further advanced with him.

Gib$on got us Basti, and he no longer wanted to be at the Roos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back