Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Wish the team was better and he was playing full forward and kick 100 goals.
That’s interesting TDL if he was at GWS playing FF or even Melbourne with their mids would he kick 100? It actually hasn’t been done since 2008 and that was by a young Lance Franklin who never repeated the feat. It’s just something that doesn’t happen anymore with zoning and flooding, plus players are bigger and faster all over the ground now and they rarely give you the space on the ground or in the air. You have to be a contested mark beast and even Charlie Curnow still hasn’t done it. I’ve been waiting to see it happen again, but it’s just so hard.

That’s interesting TDL if he was at GWS playing FF or even Melbourne with their mids would he kick 100? It actually hasn’t been done since 2008 and that was by a young Lance Franklin who never repeated the feat. It’s just something that doesn’t happen anymore with zoning and flooding, plus players are bigger and faster all over the ground now and they rarely give you the space on the ground or in the air. You have to be a contested mark beast and even Charlie Curnow still hasn’t done it. I’ve been waiting to see it happen again, but it’s just so hard.
If they turn afl into aflx then 100 goals becomes much more likely …… there would be shoot outs happening very frequently …… just think about lynch having all that space to lead into! Would be amazing!

This man won us the 2020 flag. He literally kept us in it until half-time and played the single biggest hand in us gaining momentum in the second half. Without him we would not have won it IMO, and that's not to mention what he did for us in the years prior to that. Yes, he's nearing the end of a brilliant careet but he's far from done yet. I think he's playing injured at the moment or at least with restrictions (niggling injuries/soreness). If we weren't so decimated by injuries i believe he would have been 'managed' more by now. We just don't have that luxury to rest Dusty right now.

For those in here suggesting we don't offer him another contract, do me and yourself a favour, give yourself a firm uppercut. Yep that's right you deserve it, might knock some sense into you. Dusty decides if he wants to go on another year or two, the RFC don't make that decision for him. Case in point the basket case that is North Melbourne, they pushed Boomer, Firito and Petrie into early retirement, how did that work out for them?

That senior leadership, both off and on field, that a player like Dusty can bring to all these new draftees we bring into the club in the next few years cannot be understated. In fact I think it's crucial to our next tilt years up the track. If it were me, and Dusty wanted it, I'd give him two more years and the promise of a coaching/mentor role with our incoming newbies post playing days. We are going to hit the draft hard this year, next and probably one more after that, I want Dusty around the club for that. He's still easily best 22 for the foreseeable future even if his role became more forward and less midfield minutes in 2025 and 2026

Get him to 350 games and 400 goals. Then he can retire. 2 more seasons should do it.

TI that's gotta one of your best posts.

Hearing Dusty may not make it through to the end of the season. There's a possibility he'll get through his 300th and hang up the RFC boots immediately. He'll then do a season or two up north. He, like I and most others would be, needs a change after 15 years at the same place. If this is correct, he has, in my book, earned the right to go out on whatever terms he wants.

Hearing Dusty may not make it through to the end of the season. There's a possibility he'll get through his 300th and hang up the RFC boots immediately. He'll then do a season or two up north. He, like I and most others would be, needs a change after 15 years at the same place. If this is correct, he has, in my book, earned the right to go out on whatever terms he wants.
Agree wholeheartedly with this, only caveat though is we need to get something in return for him. Would hate a situation where he 'retires' only to then have a change of heart and get picked up for nothing (can that even happen?)

Agree wholeheartedly with this, only caveat though is we need to get something in return for him. Would hate a situation where he 'retires' only to then have a change of heart and get picked up for nothing (can that even happen?)
Didn't something like that happen with Hodge?

If it is 2 years he will trigger a FA compensation pick.

How would it work? He'd retire then come out of retirement or he will play 300 then take personal leave until the end of the year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty accurate source? Are they spot on?

Pretty good source and based on current information. He may be swayed to play out the season...might help if we started playing a bit better.

To me it looks like he isnt putting much effort in - not enjoying his footy. If that's the case then why? Doesn't get along with some players and/or coach? Other reasons? Who knows but maybe he is seeking a change of environment (new club) at some stage.

His 300 is what? half way through the season. in the $ 1.5 million year of his contract he is going to pull the pin on an injury ravaged, struggling team? The club has to pay the salary of players leaving mid year.

One more player short? nice one Dusty!!

Too late for the mid season draft .

Dusty retires game 300 ....there's the trade picks RFC lose if he goes on to play elsewhere Nice way to shyte on your legacy.

I think RFC have the right to get the year out of him if he's able.

A season or two up North? Swans on top of the ladder, GWS 3rd. It'd be backward step for the Suns. North Melbourne finally get Dusty !!

Last edited:
Sounding more and more likely he pulls the pin.
Motivation no longer there ,
Interest from other clubs dropping off ,
turning 33 and soft tissue injuries are restricting his ability to not only play but train too

He’d never shite on the club like some people are posting. He’s 34 next year he’s basically at the end of his career. If he wants to eke out another year or two then make it happen. But he’d never pull the pin mid year with a view to playing on next year.

where is all this mail coming from
Mail? Oh you mean people on an online forum who don't have a f**king clue so they just make s**t up in the hope it comes true so it will make them look less stupid than they actually are?

That kind of mail?

where is all this mail coming from
This was posted on OER today (herald sun) .

Read into it what you will.

Dustin Martin’s manager Ralph Carr has begun gauging interest in his player with rival clubs despite the likelihood the Richmond legend will retire or play out his career at Punt Rd.

Martin has expressed to teammates that while he is still enjoying his time at Richmond his motivation to train and play no longer reaches the heights of the club’s premiership years.

Martin can no longer train with the same intensity
as he battles soft-tissue complaints including the calf issues that have seen him miss two games this year.

Carr told the Herald Sun in March he and Martin would sit down at year’s end to consider the unrestricted free agent’s future.

Clubs are aware they would likely have to offer him a two-year deal on good money well above $500,000 a year and at this stage have reservations about that kind of contract.

They are aware Martin is mentally fatigued and wonder if he can find that fire in the belly as he turns 33 next month.

Last edited:
This was posted today on OER today (herald sun) .

Read into what you will.

Dustin Martin’s manager Ralph Carr has begun gauging interest in his player with rival clubs despite the likelihood the Richmond legend will retire or play out his career at Punt Rd.

Martin has expressed to teammates that while he is still enjoying his time at Richmond his motivation to train and play no longer reaches the heights of the club’s premiership years.

Martin can no longer train with the same intensity
as he battles soft-tissue complaints including the calf issues that have seen him miss two games this year.

Carr told the Herald Sun in March he and Martin would sit down at year’s end to consider the unrestricted free agent’s future.

Clubs are aware they would likely have to offer him a two-year deal on good money well above $500,000 a year and at this stage have reservations about that kind of contract.

They are aware Martin is mentally fatigued and wonder if he can find that fire in the belly as he turns 33 next month.

cheers for posting - seems consistent with what we are seeing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back