Player Watch #4: Judd McVee – Round 18 Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

Serviceable player capable of some good footy. I also think he's young enough to improve some more, particularly the mental side of things like his decision making. There are plenty of serviceable-to-good players that wouldn't make a top 4 team (we've been one for 45 rounds on the fly now) but could carve out a good career elsewhere.

Blake Acres is a good comparison for Jordon. The ultimate steak knives player when he was traded to Freo, who need someone for the role with Hill going the other way. Played a good couple of years there, nothing special mind, and landed a three year deal at Carlton. Would he get a game at us, Geelong, Brisbane, Sydney etc at full strength? Nope, but he'll play til he's in his 30s.

He's got more tools in his locker than a Billy Hartung type who was a genuine liability with the ball but looked ok for a few years running up and down the wing at Hawthorn.

That first paragraph is a generic statement you can use on any young player. Oskar bakers young he can improve his decision making. Other than being young I don't see anything. He's got no athletic difference except for an engine. Sparrow has more scope for improvement in every single way and even he's gonna be lucky to stay in the side

Would be hard for a winger to break into the side now. With Hunter coming in to run with Langdon that's pushed Jordan out who you'd think would be the replacement if either those first two get injured
I guess at the appropriate time, he (Howes) might make it onto the bench.
Maybe he could play wing/half-forward, if warranted. But his form has to show up.

We seem to have a number of junior players starting to mature together. Which will be interesting. A couple of games here and there; I think is enough to keep the young players interested in continuing with us, and helps them to be highly enthused about the possibilities.

Jordan is a conundrum to me. Lacks weapons. Is regular/reliable but... Similarly Harmes, who I think is struggling right now; in last weeks team. Harmes looked out of sync with the game, and teammates.

AN-B/Sparrow/Jordan/Harmes, and now Chandler/Spargo/Pickett.... around the Half-Forward line.?

IMO, we need to get some games into this new tier of junior players 2nd/3rd Yr players, to keep them interested. And the first-half of the season is the right time to do this... as we have to settle the side back into our most senior regulars for the back-end of season.

We will need to build our momentum from just before the Kings birthday round. Heading towards the coming Spring season.

Last edited:

Salem was best on ground in the grand final in the first quarter. He has the runs on the board. McVee doesn't pass Salem because he had 14 touches against a team with 4 giraffes in their forward line. Salem has stood up on the big stage and he's had a rough go with injuries the last 12 months. I'm backing him in to play great footy this year. And I liked what I saw in McVee.
Now is the right time to hold Salem back a bit, Re his disease, and get at least a couple of games into McVee, at this time of year.

In my backline for the main-part of season, I have both Salem, and Hibbo in our best 22. But Salem is quickly being rounded up, IMO. Hibbo is in his last season, I'm sure, as is Melk.

I think we will see a lot of list change, end of this year.

I personally prefer Sparrow. He's stronger over the ball, he's quicker, more powerful and has kicked some big goals. He's also a really straight kick for goal. But I do agree that I would've liked him to develop further and he hasn't progressed as much as I'd like.

And I agree, some more mids are high priority in the next draft/trade period.
Sparrow is better offensively than Jordan, by a lot.
But Jordan is more adept at quelling opponents.

Both IMO, are future leaders, and time will deliver their best.

Hi, sorry to intrude but I’m looking to bring McVee into my Fantasy team this week.

With Salem ruled out indefinitely, do you think McVee will have a good run at it?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hi, sorry to intrude but I’m looking to bring McVee into my Fantasy team this week.

With Salem ruled out indefinitely, do you think McVee will have a good run at it?

I'd hold fire until after tonight's game - If Cameron towels him up then Hibberd could come in next week potentially.

I put the kibosh on Salem by demanding this headline. I SugarP0w3R did it.

Best Friends GIF by The Bachelorette

Yes add him to all your fantasy sides. Consider him for captain each week

And this is why it was premature to say Judd McVee is better than Salem. Judd shows a lot of promise but if Salem got 8 possessions and 1 rebound 50m we'd be calling for his head. I feel sorry for our defenders though. Our midfielders did them a disservice by getting owned in the clearances.

Better than Salem back on the agenda after SOME of you people (look at the post above) doubted Judd after last week. smh. Should be ashamed of yourselves.

Ridiculous find out of the rookie draft. So composed, his disposal rivals Bowey, might even be better, better in the air (marking and spoiling) than you think also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He does give me some crazy frosty vibes at times when he goes through traffic, but more always seems to find a way out

Seems to get out of trouble easily, and makes very good decisions.

he moves and uses the ball like a guy who is never under pressure. A seasoned vet. Extraordinary for a rookie draft pick in his third game.

He does give me some crazy frosty vibes at times when he goes through traffic, but more always seems to find a way out
Will have to see if his judgement on this gets better, is only game 3. Great find.

Better than Salem back on the agenda after SOME of you people (look at the post above) doubted Judd after last week. smh. Should be ashamed of yourselves.

Ridiculous find out of the rookie draft. So composed, his disposal rivals Bowey, might even be better, better in the air (marking and spoiling) than you think also.
I was a hold on this kid but I'm sold now. He was so good for a third game. Plays way beyond his experience levels. Been a long time since we pulled a rookie this good.

McVee is a perfect example of why when you play a kid and he shows a little bit you have to keep playing him. Can't get nervous and go back to what you know.

I love the way he stays composed and steps through traffic when he can see the ground ahead of him. A couple of nervy moments when he was facing the swans goal but even seasoned players are liable to have them.

Contested marks, drilling kicks, directing the play, super composed and doesn't second guess himself. Clip at 0:40 he evades tackles like Pendlebury.

Kid just has it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back