Past #4: Liam Anthony - delisted by NM end '14 - 4th in 2016 Sandover Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Ehh... Subbing him on was the matchwinning move, but only in the sense that it opened up our forward line and offered more run. I would still give Jacobs a game ahead of him... killed it in the VFL today again, and imo, just a better disposer of the ball.

Ehh... Subbing him on was the matchwinning move, but only in the sense that it opened up our forward line and offered more run. I would still give Jacobs a game ahead of him... killed it in the VFL today again, and imo, just a better disposer of the ball.

At VFL level, yes. Yet to prove that at AFL level though.

Once Wells and Thomas are fit, LA and Wright are out IMO. Wright is not up to it. LA has earned his spot but isn't best 22.

I really don't care if he's dropped. Very much a player on the periphery of the team.
Especially with Wells, McMillan and Lt to come back over the next three weeks. Moreover Jacobs dominating at VFL level.
But I suppose if he gets another game and goes well it's good for our depth.

Once Wells and Thomas are fit, LA and Wright are out IMO. Wright is not up to it. LA has earned his spot but isn't best 22.
I wonder what it is about him that he gets games at all. I'm not saying he's a crap AFL player, just wondering what are the good things about him.

Anthony was solid, his pressure was excellent. At stages he was running with coach around the ground and wearing him like a glove.

that kick was a howler, but the rest of his possessions were solid.

Saw the best and worst of him last night.

The worst was obviously his poor decision and poorly executed kick across goal in the 3rd.

Then in the last quarter (I can't remember exactly) he won the footy in the defensive 50 and cleared it, then got involved in the play again across half forward only a few seconds later. His gut running is up there with Gibson and Bastinac.

I wonder what it is about him that he gets games at all. I'm not saying he's a crap AFL player, just wondering what are the good things about him.

nothing. his marking overhead, kicking and creativity were the reasons why he was drafted. None of these things have been evident at AFL level for a few years now.

Anthony was solid, his pressure was excellent. At stages he was running with coach around the ground and wearing him like a glove.

that kick was a howler, but the rest of his possessions were solid.

The spin and delivery to Black which resulted in Petrie's ludicrous miss was quality.

The spin and delivery to Black which resulted in Petrie's ludicrous miss was quality.

Thats the sort of kicking he displayed consistently before his shoulder deco can't help but think that reconstruction changed his ball drop in some way.

Before that big injury he was by no means polished but he was considerably better skill wise than what he was once he came back from the injury.

Anyone got footage of the play?

He's a mystery to me too. I rated him massively a couple years back, great hands, terrific composure with the ball, picks it up off the deck as well as anyone, bit of mongrel.......What's really odd is that all those things are still there, minus the composure, and he looks completely ordinary. I'm keeping the faith though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nothing. his marking overhead, kicking and creativity were the reasons why he was drafted. None of these things have been evident at AFL level for a few years now.
He's shown all of those things in games this year but never in the one game...Took some good marks against Brissy but his kicking was shite. Thought he made some very nice passes last night but nothing else stood out. He's not strong or fast enough to play down back, you only really need one of those attributes, ****ed if you don't have either.

Saw the best and worst of him last night.

The worst was obviously his poor decision and poorly executed kick across goal in the 3rd.

Then in the last quarter (I can't remember exactly) he won the footy in the defensive 50 and cleared it, then got involved in the play again across half forward only a few seconds later. His gut running is up there with Gibson and Bastinac.

Yes and yes. That last qtr play was excellent. Definitely saved a goal when the game was still to be iced.

I'm about to watch a replay of the second half. Giving the 2nd qtr a miss.

#4 Liam Anthony

ANTHONY%20Liam.png

Games: 4
Goals: 1

Summary:
All in all, it was a disappointing year for Liam Anthony at the senior level. The hard-running midfielder broke into the team for three consecutive games between Rounds 11 and 13, before heading back to the VFL for another short stint. Had a small impact coming on as the sub against the West Coast Eagles, kicking a goal on the run, while he collected a season-high 14 possessions against Richmond a week later. Was brought back in following the nightmare loss to Brisbane to play Hawthorn, but was subbed out following a poor effort by disposal, and wasn't seen again at the AFL level.

He was a star performer for North Ballarat, narrowly missing out on the JJ Liston Medal by three votes to Hawthorn's Alex Woodward. With just nine senior games from the past two seasons, Anthony looks to be at the crossroads, and is likely to be delisted. However, the North Melbourne Football Club is better for having his services.

Liam Anthony has narrowly missed out on winning the VFL’s best and fairest after being pipped at the post in the final round.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-09-02/anthony-almost-steals-show

It's been more than 11 months since Liam Anthony’s last game in North Melbourne colours, so you can understand why he’s so keen to impress.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-05-31/anthonys-resurrection

450279766-liam-anthony-of-the-kangaroos-handballs-gettyimages.jpg

330297-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

Liam+Anthony+AFL+Rd+12+North+Melbourne+v+Richmond+WWnHgp5XoeZl.jpg

I remember his first few games - racked up heaps of touches but then broke down with a foot injury i think. Remember thinking at the time, "We've found a player here."
But as time went by............

I remember his first few games - racked up heaps of touches but then broke down with a foot injury i think. Remember thinking at the time, "We've found a player here."
But as time went by............

Hurt his foot prior to Rd 1. The late inclusion was none other than Andrew Swallow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back