Past #4: Shaun Higgins - Higgo traded to Geelong for 2020 #30 - 2x Syds/108 NM gms/96 NM gls - thx Higgo

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll keep an eye out for those games as foxfooty does their repeats, thanks heaps.

I wish I could watch that 08 prelim again because I remember the game and can vaguely remember him having a good first quarter. When he burst on the scene he looked like he was going to be special, why do you think his career stalled so much since then? Would you put it down mostly to the injuries, has the the decline of the bulldogs as a team had an effect on him as a primarly outside player, or is he just not as good a player as we thought he was?
A bit of each, really. He still managed plenty of games across the latter half of his career at the Bulldogs, but injuries would occasionally interrupt any continuity he was building in his game, or even write off an entire season (2013). There's little doubt the Bulldogs' decline has had an effect on his game, as it does on most - his flaws were more evident in recent years, and it arguably left him without a position.

He has suffered from the weight of expectations, too. He was anointed our next captain and handed #7 very early in his career - it doesn't seem like much, but our supporters absolutely treasure that number and expect plenty of the player wearing it.

Seems to have a knack, from those snippets, of taking a fumbley broken play and applying a nice piece of polish to it.

What our forward line has lacked for some time has been a crumbing small and a player who can mark tall-ish and crumb small (besides Thomas who's crumbing comes and goes), and with LT, Sugar and Higgo (despite his causing planes to disappear, coaches to be sacked, Greenheads to migrate to the feral swamp etc) I think our forward line is a lot more balanced. Give me a genuine half forward over a resting midfielder playing forward any day, and his ability to slip up to the wings and run-and-carry the ball forward is a bonus.

IMO if fit and half in form he plays, primarily because he offers a point-of-difference that our 5th, 6th and 7th best midfielders don't.

Put it this way.

If Higgins plays well- the opposition will sit somebody on him with closer attention which is good for the next tier of players.

If Levi played well - not many teams paid to much attention to him

Higgins can hurt the opposition with his skills.

Good pick up north

Put it this way.

If Higgins plays well- the opposition will sit somebody on him with closer attention which is good for the next tier of players.

If Levi played well - not many teams paid to much attention to him

Higgins can hurt the opposition with his skills.

Good pick up north

very good point

Higgins is defiantly an upgrade on our list! He certainly is better than some of the blokes who were getting games for us this year.
We didn't lose greenwood thtough gaining Higgins for anyone who keeps saying that. North offered greenwood a decent offer in the end. Collingwood BIG offer was too much to refuse for a bloke who hasn't played much senior footy the last 3 years.

Anyways our half back line is already string. I think Higgins would be best suited being a medium forward swapping into the midfield for short periods. We haven't had a medium forward kicking regular snags for years.

Higgins is on less money than Greenwood and is an area we need not one we have plenty of. I know Levi was popular on here but getting Higgins (plus pick 25) for Greenwood could be a really good thing for North (though obviously not as good as keeping both)

Higgins is on less money than Greenwood and is an area we need not one we have plenty of. I know Levi was popular on here but getting Higgins (plus pick 25) for Greenwood could be a really good thing for North (though obviously not as good as keeping both)
You're talking about another club paying Green's wages now. I imagine, had he stayed, no he would not be.

You're talking about another club paying Green's wages now. I imagine, had he stayed, no he would not be.
From what we've heard C'Wood are paying Greenhead 100k a year more than we're paying Higgins. I don't know what our final offer was but I imagine we would have had to be at least Higgins level (if not more) for LG to stay

I'm currently struggling to fit Thomas, Petrie, Brown and Kanye into a full-forward line, and the likes of Ziebell, Black, Wood, Higgins and a host of 'resting' mids into our half-forward line. Can I blame that on Higgins too?

I thought so.

As for Greenhead vs Higgins, both are very good players, one in an important position in which we are seemingly well stocked, the other in a niche position in which we were lacking. More importantly, one wanted to be a Roo and the other didn't. Welcome aboard Shaun Higgins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B6j0S0WCQAALs3_.jpg

''I grabbed dem t***ies like dis''

Higgins: "I don't like it when opposition players push me, like this";
Cunners: "Just push you? I'd do a whole heap more than just push you!" (until you signed on as a Roo, of course).

Love Cunners tough-nut glare in that pic. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back