Past #41: Corey Wagner - #43 '15 National Draft - 8 NM games - one Snapchat scandal - thanks Wags

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. I told the club to recruit Gibson and JMac so I think I've done well as far as recruiting goes Arjen.

Jmac is off my list these days.... Phillyroo spammed me so much that I had no choice but to change my mind.

I still haven't worked out who you really are, just yet.... but I will find out :)

Good to have you back anyway mate.

This write up from combine harvester add to first post if you like.

Corey Wagner (23/03/1997, 180cm, 71kg. Aspley/Lions Academy)

Medium midfielder

AFL biography: Medium midfielder with excellent speed and endurance and a good user of the ball. Smart player who is composed with the football in his hands. Impressive for Queensland in the TAC Cup matches this year with his 31 disposals against the Dandenong Stingrays outstanding. Averaged 18.7 possessions (78.6 percent efficiency) and four clearances at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Member of Brisbane Lions Academy.

"Corey's been in our program for two years now. We played him as an outsider winger last year and he did really well, and this year we've turned him into more of an inside mid and he's adjusted beautifully. He has the run and carry, he can break a tackle, he's put on a bit of size and he can use the ball well by foot. He's the sort of kid who will chase someone for 40 metres if that's what it takes. He never gives up and he wills himself to play well and help the team."

Adrian Fletcher, Queensland talent manager

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to assess this one. Purely on footage I'd have rated him a rookie prospect because of the queries on his size and ball handling and perhaps queries on his AFL versatility.

However -

He has a nice tendency to break and burst from traffic and his kicking looks neat. The ball handling errors could be tempered with the fact he appears to be trying to collect the ball at full tilt. Looks prepared to have a dip too.

Plus I wonder if AFL clubs factor some immediate scope for improvement for players who have come through without traditional footy school backgrounds and play in the NEAFL.

Well it is a little harder for the Vic Country lads to relocate to an AFL club back in their home town ;)
But they would rather be 2 hours drive from their parents farm, rather than a two hour flight followed by a two hour drive. ;)

Peter Schwab from the Lions has confirmed that they did NOT match our bid for Wagner because it would have dropped their next pick too much to be able to select Sam Skinner.

They apparently wanted to select Skinner earlier (with their remaining pick in the late 30s), but when Mathieson slid so far, they couldn't resist.

Got some tools.

Think his brother was taken in the rookie draft this morning, saw another Wagner name from Aspley. Can't remember which club got him.

Yep his older brother went to the dees. 3 years older. Might eliminate any homesickness which will be good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back