Past #43: Sam Gibson - #63 '12 RD - 130 consec. NM games (club record) - NM --> ADL for pk91 '17 ND

Remove this Banner Ad

Sammy G is a modern day Shane Clayton IMO. You'll know we have a quality side when he starts to find himself in and out of the side. His running is great but his disposal by foot is a worry.
He'll probably finish in our top 10 for the B&F which is a great effort by him but shows how down some of our guys have been this year.

The same Shane Clayton who won a premiership? That managed to be a reasonable quality side with a spot for a Shane Clayton.

A couple of you posters talk about Gibsons endless amount of clanger kicks, but when asked to name some examples you either say nothing or can only give an example of 1 or 2. Maybe his disposal isn't all that bad and you all just wish for him to fail.

There is too much morose delectation amongst a certain group of posters and it is exposing them for what they truly stand for.

A couple of you posters talk about Gibsons endless amount of clanger kicks, but when asked to name some examples you either say nothing or can only give an example of 1 or 2. Maybe his disposal isn't all that bad and you all just wish for him to fail.

There is too much morose delectation amongst a certain group of posters and it is exposing them for what they truly stand for.

I don't wish him to fail I wish for him to execute his disposals better, watch the replay of the first qtr. When you are a team in our position you can't afford turn overs from basic skill errors especially from our senior players, the shift in momentum hurts because we are chasing the opp in our defense and working twice as hard

Excuse me.

I am THE GIBBOIST, I drive the bus and everyone else is a Johhny Come Lately.

And if the Doggies are such a terrible team, then why were so many people worried about this being a danger game.

BF logic at its best.

Pre-game-----> Danger Will Robinson.

Post-game-----> They were s**t.

Perhaps if the same people who thought it was a danger game, were to say post game that they were s**t, then you'd be right... But alas, I never said it was a danger game, so technically it's well within my right to say that they were s**t. Which they are and have been for 80+ years of their miserable existence.

And yes you are a gibboist. Congratulations. It's been tough for you since the Freo game, but finally after 14 weeks he was back to his best.

The fact remains he deserved criticism, should have had a spell/ was carrying an injury (who knows with our club) but he has been good the last few weeks admittedly against GWS/dogs sans McRae (who he would have played on)

But yeah, well done for keeping the faith Brad.

I don't wish him to fail I wish for him to execute his disposals better, watch the replay of the first qtr. When you are a team in our position you can't afford turn overs from basic skill errors especially from our senior players, the shift in momentum hurts because we are chasing the opp in our defense and working twice as hard
I saw 1 poor kick on the back flank in the first 1/4 amongst several very tidy disposals from Gibson. Surely you are not saying that was the reason for the momentum swing in the second. Are you?

I saw 1 poor kick on the back flank in the first 1/4 amongst several very tidy disposals from Gibson. Surely you are not saying that was the reason for the momentum swing in the second. Are you?

Not at all, one player isn't capable of that, but you would have seen how hard they were working throughout the first qtr, they almost looked out of it by half time.
Your workload doesn't have to be harder from trying to rectify what is supposed to be your basic bread and butter.

That kick over boomers head? Was that Levi or Gibbo? Going inside 50 kick straight over drews head. Again Levi or Gibbo? Both can't kick!

Grubbed one in short for Petrie in the 3rd from 20 meters when Dish had Roughead beat, ball ends up out of bounds. From 50 on the last chose to try hit Petrie on the lead in front of him fro about 20 meters as he had Roughead beat again, but forgot about Murphy who was 3 feet to the right of the flight of the ball. Turn over. He should have had a shot on goal.

They are just two examples of his poor decision making and execution, both of which, imo, have deteriorated as the season has gone3 on.

I reckon I could find about 5 more examples from yesterday but would have to watch again. I love what he brings, great defensive and attacking running and strong tackling but he does have issues.

not sure if anyone has told him that when he kicks the ball he doesn't guide it to his foot he tends to drop it out of his hand onto his foot. Watch closely bc when he drops it the ball is not straight hence his kicks are average.

Clayton had bad BO. I'm convinced of it.

To be fair, we had a few other players the opposition had to worry about before him.

Like 21!

The young Arj was not a fan.

not sure if anyone has told him that when he kicks the ball he doesn't guide it to his foot he tends to drop it out of his hand onto his foot. Watch closely bc when he drops it the ball is not straight hence his kicks are average.

I said this exact same thing 2 months ago. That the time it takes from hand to foot is an eternity.

I think he is better when he has less time. Like most smart people they tend to work/play better on instinct.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grubbed one in short for Petrie in the 3rd from 20 meters when Dish had Roughead beat, ball ends up out of bounds. From 50 on the last chose to try hit Petrie on the lead in front of him fro about 20 meters as he had Roughead beat again, but forgot about Murphy who was 3 feet to the right of the flight of the ball. Turn over. He should have had a shot on goal.

They are just two examples of his poor decision making and execution, both of which, imo, have deteriorated as the season has gone3 on.

I reckon I could find about 5 more examples from yesterday but would have to watch again. I love what he brings, great defensive and attacking running and strong tackling but he does have issues.
So 7 ineffective disposals out of 31 equals a disposal efficiency of 77.4%. Not bad I would have thought, especially when you add what else he brings to the team (hard running, tackling, leadership, etc).

The haters (and I'm not calling you one) are just going to have to get used to seeing Gibson in the team. Maybe they need to take the blinkers off and watch a game without picking apart every error he makes.

Guys, FFS, he ain't Ablett or Pendelbury.

What he is, is a hard working, honest gut runner of which he has no equal in our team. Get over it and accept him for what he is and you'll enjoy the footy a lot more. There is a reason he didn't play his first game of AFL til in his mid 20s.

There was a moment in the last quarter when Grima had beaten his opponent, turned to the bondary in the back pocket under pressure and had to kick hurriedly up the line. Now there was a one on one about 80 meters away but he was never gonna kick it that far. Gibbo sprinted from the other flank, into the space and made it a 2 on 1. We coasted up the other end and Cunners goaled. No one else in our team has the ability to run that hard late in the game and effect plays.

No he ain't the worlds best kick. Yes he has flaws like everyone. But he is a real asset and his consistent stats over the last 18 months prove it.

The last two posts are spot on in regards to Gibson imo and illustrates why he divides supporters' opinions on him. Is an above average/good player at the moment who could be so much more damaging if he could just hit those targets going inside fwd 50 on a regular basis.

What he is, is a hard working, honest gut runner of which he has no equal in our team. Get over it and accept him for what he is and you'll enjoy the footy a lot more. There is a reason he didn't play his first game of AFL til in his mid 20s.

There was a moment in the last quarter when Grima had beaten his opponent, turned to the bondary in the back pocket under pressure and had to kick hurriedly up the line. Now there was a one on one about 80 meters away but he was never gonna kick it that far. Gibbo sprinted from the other flank, into the space and made it a 2 on 1. We coasted up the other end and Cunners goaled. No one else in our team has the ability to run that hard late in the game and effect plays.

No he ain't the worlds best kick. Yes he has flaws like everyone. But he is a real asset and his consistent stats over the last 18 months prove it.
Spot on mate. Not sure why some posters expect him to play "perfect" football yet will excuse the same mistakes from others.

11 final quarter possessions and an equal team high 8 score involvements. He's a running machine!

Clean up that kicking, and it has definitely improved out of sight for the most part since he arrived, and we'll have ourselves a very damaging link up man and supplier of opportunities for the forwards. He only registered 2 clangers, and a DE of 77%, but he could and should do even better. If he can improve again he'll attract a tag and help free up another of our midfielders. Right now I just accept that he'll slightly stuff up the odd disposal. Without his run and carry we'd be virtually bereft of players on the outside.

That kick over boomers head? Was that Levi or Gibbo? Going inside 50 kick straight over drews head. Again Levi or Gibbo? Both can't kick!

I don't think anyone really is out defending Greenhead's disposal though, that being said, Greenhead brings a lot to the team other than just his outside work.

thought Gibbos disposal was good v Dogs, extremely good for him

re Naming names, well Thomsons disposal was appalling quite often
as mentioned Levi seems to be drifting back into panic disposals more often than needed
but the Glaringly Obvious culprit is Petries goalkicking, his passing is usually ok
the shots he misses are mostly so gettable
must have been 3 0r 4 on sunday that he just wasted

Where's his contract at? Re-signing Gibbo and Levi needs to be done before the finals IMO. Not after, when the rust has settled.

I may be biased as he's one of my favourite players but he was superb. All night. Never stopped running and is just built for finals football where repeat efforts are golden.

Obviously his footskills aren't silky, but there was some amazing passages during the 3rd and 4th quarters where he just kept going, had two or 3 disposals in the chain and in one case finished off with a brilliant goal.

Hopefully the next time he has one shonky kick, or turns it over once, and everyone is baying for blood - we just remember the importance of the man, because there is legitimately nobody on our list that can do what he does.

1 <3 Gibbo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back