Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of talent ?
We have one unproven rookie small forward . One who may be okay and the rest not even drafted yet.
Our genuine small forward depth is minimal.
On top of that we could also play him back.
it is a no-brainer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats the difference between this and the Liam Jones case that means Carlton get compensation and we wouldnt?

Whats the difference between this and the Liam Jones case that means Carlton get compensation and we wouldnt?
The main differences are:
  • Both left with a year remaining on their contracts, but Connor's contract would have ended last year.
  • Both made a choice due to Covid (not taking the vaccination, reacting to closing borders) but some don't see Jones's decision as a choice.
However, there are definitely enough similarities that we should be asking the AFL the question. Especially given that Conor will (presumably) sign a bigger contract than Jones, and we (should) be happy to take him back and let him fulfill the last year of his contract with us.

Irish star Conor McKenna is only interested in a return to the AFL via a Victorian club, reports SEN’s Sam Edmund.

It was revealed last month that the former Bomber was quitting his Gaelic club Tyrone to return to the AFL in 2023, with Geelong, Brisbane and Port Adelaide linked to the 26-year old.

However according to Edmund, McKenna is currently only eyeing a return to Victoria, which would rule the Lions and Power out of the mix.

“I’ve spoken to Brisbane about this, the Lions’ information about this is Conor McKenna wants to come back to Australia, but he doesn’t want to come back to any state, in fact, he wants to come back to Victoria. So that’s the initial feedback from them,” he said on SEN.

“They do have an interest and they have had an interest before, whether they’re playing it down or not, they don’t expect to be a factor when it comes to Connor McKenna.”

Irish star Conor McKenna is only interested in a return to the AFL via a Victorian club, reports SEN’s Sam Edmund.

It was revealed last month that the former Bomber was quitting his Gaelic club Tyrone to return to the AFL in 2023, with Geelong, Brisbane and Port Adelaide linked to the 26-year old.

However according to Edmund, McKenna is currently only eyeing a return to Victoria, which would rule the Lions and Power out of the mix.

“I’ve spoken to Brisbane about this, the Lions’ information about this is Conor McKenna wants to come back to Australia, but he doesn’t want to come back to any state, in fact, he wants to come back to Victoria. So that’s the initial feedback from them,” he said on SEN.

“They do have an interest and they have had an interest before, whether they’re playing it down or not, they don’t expect to be a factor when it comes to Connor McKenna.”

He probably wants a club that's run well and has a chance at success, while also getting the best payday. So which of the Vic clubs in the top half of the ladder are best placed to pay him what he wants? I wouldn't have thought Geelong would have the money but they always seem to be able to find it from somewhere.

There's an 18 month rule from memory; Jones is inside it and requires special dispensation from Carlton / AFL to be picked up by another side. McKenna is outside it.

He probably wants a club that's run well and has a chance at success, while also getting the best payday. So which of the Vic clubs in the top half of the ladder are best placed to pay him what he wants? I wouldn't have thought Geelong would have the money but they always seem to be able to find it from somewhere.
You would have to think all of Dees, Pies, Tigers & Cats would struggle to fit him in for good $$. Tigers recruiting a couple of big names already, Pies will want to keep list intact and DeGoey will be getting huge contract now, Cats will have some big contracts to keep and Dees also.

We are well placed with $$ but on the nose.

There isn’t an 18 month rule to my knowledge.

As far as Liam Jones is concerned:

AFL sources said Jones would be deemed a free agent because he had been on Carlton’s list for eight seasons, the minimum period necessary to qualify for free agency. While he retired from the game before this season, due to his stance on vaccination against COVID-19, Jones remained on Carlton’s playing list.

McKenna was not on our list long enough to be a free agent, and wouldn’t have been even if he’d seen through the contract he was on when he retired, which would’ve finished at the end of 2021 and therefore 7 years service (needs 8 to be a free agent).

There isn’t an 18 month rule to my knowledge.

As far as Liam Jones is concerned:

McKenna was not on our list long enough to be a free agent, and wouldn’t have been even if he’d seen through the contract he was on when he retired, which would’ve finished at the end of 2021 and therefore 7 years service (needs 8 to be a free agent).

I was going off this scenario, and it's been mentioned previously on BigFooty somewhere as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back