Delisted #45: Johnny Rayner

Remove this Banner Ad

Sanctions or no sanctions this is exactly what the club should be doing with the rookie lists. I see no value in the continued recruitment of limited, mature aged second tier recruits whose development is largely complete.

Rayner is a bit different because he can, or at least could, play but selecting athletes and guys with other elite attributes is what we should be doing because development is clearly now good enough that players can be taught the game.

Hopefully Forrester is still on the radar too.

Both this and mature age recruits are all just tools we have for getting the most complete list possible. I was wondering why we didn't have any alternate background rookies on our list because it seems like it cold be a pretty fertile hunting ground for guys with the right kind of attributes to play AFL.

Nice Pick up on the Rookie B list.. a guy that played great underage footy.. then has been successful in athletics.. and has developed the body etc etc.. now comes back to footy to the club of his preference..

TBH.. I think it is an ideal situation.. like the NFL does by forcing all kids to go through the college system (many reasons for that I know) but basically gives them 3-4 years to get their bodies right, studies right, life on track and then launch into a career.

Very shrewd move and yet another Bombers fan on the list!!

Both this and mature age recruits are all just tools we have for getting the most complete list possible. I was wondering why we didn't have any alternate background rookies on our list because it seems like it cold be a pretty fertile hunting ground for guys with the right kind of attributes to play AFL.

And especially fertile ground if you pick up a guy that has already shown he can play Aussie Rules to a decent level...

And especially fertile ground if you pick up a guy that has already shown he can play Aussie Rules to a decent level...

Yeah. I mean there must be a heap of people out there who loved footy and were really good at it but gave it away for something else.

Sanctions or no sanctions this is exactly what the club should be doing with the rookie lists. I see no value in the continued recruitment of limited, mature aged second tier recruits whose development is largely complete.

Rayner is a bit different because he can, or at least could, play but selecting athletes and guys with other elite attributes is what we should be doing because development is clearly now good enough that players can be taught the game.

Hopefully Forrester is still on the radar too.

God forbid we get another Hibberd, Crameri Howlett or Baguley. Bloody limited mature age recruits.

Yeah. I mean there must be a heap of people out there who loved footy and were really good at it but gave it away for something else.

Yeah exactly.. however I also see the potential for it to be exploited.. if a club sees a kid that is clearly undersize or immature or whatever.. let him go off and study, keep tabs on him and then pick him up in 3 years time ready to make a huge impact...

Geelong basically did that with Blicavs..

I'm thinking of a kid that got a scholarship to go to the US for Baseball.. but was good at Aussie Rules too.. perhaps something like that.. you then wait for him to finish college, have the benefit of their training systems etc.. then if they don't make majors (which most don't).. offer them a contract..

God forbid we get another Hibberd, Crameri Howlett or Baguley. Bloody limited mature age recruits.

For a start, we're in a very different phase of development now. We no longer have the experience vacuum of players between 23 and 27. The rookie list ought no longer be about cover.

I was thinking more about the other suggested mature aged recruits being thrown about in the List Management thread more than our guys. Hibberd, Crameri and Howlett in particular have been inspired choices (was looking at Howlett's numbers from the start of his career on footywire and it quickly clarified that this year something was wrong with him).

Obviously Rayner, at 22, is a mature aged recruit. The major point of difference his athleticism sets him apart from almost anything out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting revelation that HE approached the club for a trial last year after seeing how well Mark Blicavs (whose one of his best mates) had done at Geelong.

He had hoped to be rookied by Essendon after missing the draft in 2009 where he expected to go to St Kilda.

Bold move seeing he is 90% through Medicine at Melb Uni and had a fair chance to make it to the Commonwealth Games next year. Best of luck Johnny.

May 2009

Id include Tobin - all class - and Purcell handy to come into the mid field. Backline and probably team overall lacks speed. Id definitely keep Rayner in perhaps in backline on the back flank or on resting forward smalls. Alternatievly Rayner on wing and Melsham on half forward where Melsham can be more damaging. Rayner beat Melsham on the wing last round and has matched it with NSW and GC(QLD) wingman. Prefer Talia as CHB. Fitzpatrick CHF and Temel FF. This is not to say that this team is as I would pick it but simply commenting on the structure. Also need another rucking option. I believe Hill is injured but would he be the obvious choice to come into the team, perhaps at the expense of Tighe?

Also agree with Footyman that there is not too many walk up draftees amongst this team. Even AIS VIC-cohort not that strong this year and don't offer this team much. Wouldn't probably have Toy in but Hardigan is a cert.

What happend to the strong Vic U16 team of 2 years ago. Were the best of that group picked up in last years draft or simply haven't come on?

just watched the video on the efc website, did anyone else get the impression from disco that he's not the last alternative talent?

he basically worded it as 'This is our first foray into the alt. talent pathway, We are allowed 3 category B rookies, and Johnny is the first of those'

I'd like us to use our HPC to identify individuals with strong athletics backgrounds and use that as a hunting ground.invite people to use the facilities, keep tabs on them. If they don't make it in their chosen sport, get in their ear. Having athletes around the club would also rub off on the group training standards wise.

With the change to the interchange and the way the sport is becoming all about fitness we should use the draft to identify footballers. Free agency to top up the list, hird academy to identify father sons and the rookie drafts and others to identify super athletes to then turn into footballers.

Hell the b list is Basicaly a free shot at making a footballer. They will have the fitness just have to learn the skills.

Welcome aboard Johnny.

Back in Year 12, for some reason I gravitated towards his name as it sounded cool.
Likewise David Zaharakis a couple of years earlier.

Helps that, like myself, Rayner was born in 1991.

Dodoro, GO YOU GOOD THING!

One last thing, .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back