#47 - Jake Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's hard to get behind him because, unlike our other picks who did all address needs (even if we had some greater needs), Kelly seems to be a player in the only area on the field we don't have any needs at all.

Still, what it does clearly show is that Ogilvie follows the "best available" model rather than picking for needs, which I like.

we will end up loving this guy. Played against men for Collingwood and had very good games. He is not intimidated by reputation. Needs to work on kick but he has all of the other qualiites we would want - will be the running half back flanker we need to take over from Brodie Smith.

bigman, why has he slipped so far?

I assume his kicking wouldn't be the sole reason and why the Pies didn't take up two opportunities to list him.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2013-11-27/crows-recruiters-rate-rookies

Pick No.40 - Jake KellyPosition: Small defender
Height: 189cm
Weight: 84kg
Born: 21/1/95
Home club: Oakleigh Chargers
“Jake is a super-intelligent and diligent professional. He split his time between Scotch College and Oakleigh Chargers this year. He has an AFL-level of preparation now and understands what’s required. He also has elite endurance and ran extremely well in the 3km time-trial at the Draft Combine. Jake will give himself every chance to make it. If ever there was a snapshot of the rookie mentality, that’s what you need. Rookies have to work their bums off and Jake will. He’s in ripping shape and is a good size.
“The sealer for us was a VFL game he played for Collingwood against Werribee. He played on the wing and we really liked his game. We watched him a lot and he’s had a nice, gradual improvement. He needs to work on his kicking, but we think he has a big upside. He’s definitely worth a crack. The issue was whether Collingwood would pick him (as a Father-Son selection), but it didn’t eventuate and he chose to try his luck in the draft. He’s happy to come here and we’re pleased to get him.” – Hamish Ogilvie

Come on people get around this kid, pages and pages on the other 3, I'm tipping he will be the surprise packet of the 4 young guys we've rookied after looking at some of his highlights/footage, very tidy footballer and I can see why our recruiting team took a shine to him.

He has already played against men.

He could easily play AFL next year.

He is a good un.

bigman, why has he slipped so far?

I assume his kicking wouldn't be the sole reason and why the Pies didn't take up two opportunities to list him.

Big Gazoongas dont underestimate the importance of kicking particuarly for those rebounding defenders who need pin point accuracy for their passes.

Obviously Adelaide think they can work on his kick to make it a weapon.

Still, what it does clearly show is that Ogilvie follows the "best available" model rather than picking for needs, which I like.
I like it to a degree but I would have liked to have seen us pick a massive need with one of our later picks in a ruckman. We've got no depth in our ruck list with both Graham and McKernan likely to come off our list at the end of the season, by not developing a ruck now it means we'll probably have to look at a state league ruckman as a backup and then another to develop (unless we trade one in).

I like it to a degree but I would have liked to have seen us pick a massive need with one of our later picks in a ruckman. We've got no depth in our ruck list with both Graham and McKernan likely to come off our list at the end of the season, by not developing a ruck now it means we'll probably have to look at a state league ruckman as a backup and then another to develop (unless we trade one in).

I have a gut feeling our recruiters know something about someone being available next year for big bucks thrown their way. Just a hunch given the players we have drafted this year.

Reckon Lycett wants to head back to Adelaide from WC?

Hawthorn trading for McEvoy over the younger Billy Longer too.

Interesting that Collingwood didn't take him as a F&S selection considering it probably wouldn't have cost them big. Guess they didn't rate him at all.

Sure I read somewhere a while back his old man Craig and Eddie Mc don't get on since Kelly made it known publically he coveted Eddie's position [President] at the Pies.

Reminds me a lot of Michael Hibberd in the way that he plays. Can play on talls and smalls, is a raking left foot, and has a similar running style. If he comes on, it will spell the end for LT.

I see him being groomed as a utility, providing some rebound from defence and perhaps some rotation in the midfield.

I'll be keen to watch how he goes in the SANFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This Kelly family football story has gone full circle. Well sortof.

Craig Kelly started at Norwood, went to Collingwood. Made a name for himself before having a family and settling down. Had a kid who plays football and has now been drafted by the Crows. Only thing would have made it go full circle, if we didn't have a reserves side and Jake went and played for Norwood.

Hope this kid can make it. A good football name with string ties to both Victoria and Norwood. Hope he doesn't like to pinch anyone.

Interesting that Collingwood didn't take him as a F&S selection considering it probably wouldn't have cost them big. Guess they didn't rate him at all.

We had indicated prior to the national draft that if he wasn't picked we would rookie him under that rule someone mentioned earlier in the thread. because we ended up taking 4 players in the ND after a couple of guys hine didn't expect to be there at our picks unexpectedly were, our senior list ended up at 39. We already had 4 rookies and list sizes are capped at 44 in total that left us with one rookie spot. we had already committed that spot to a guy we delisted from the senior list a couple of weeks before the ND. Basically we ended up not having a spare spot available for him otherwise we would have taken him.

Collingwood twice passed up on the chance to get this guy for free. Wonder if that says anything.

Seems to get plenty of the ball for a guy his size, though.
Perhaps because they have quite a few other mid-size types.

Haven't got a twitter a/c so can't link to it but seems Emma Quayle likes the lad..in fact she likes all our rookie picks, given she's one of the better "media" judges that's very heartening.:thumbsu:

Scpaige's post rookie draft comments for those interested...

Kelly2.jpg

Jake Kelly
Club: Oakleigh Chargers
DOB: 21.1.1995
Height: 188cms
Weight: 83kgs
Position: Medium Defender/Midfielder
Plays Like: Steven Morris
Jake Kelly – son of Collingwood’s 1990 premiership player, Craig had a decent year for the Chargers, but really made a name for himself when he stepped up to play a few games for Collingwood’s VFL side this year. Playing predominately off half back and on a wing where his speed and composure with the ball and vision stand out, Kelly is strong bodied, and is rarely brought to ground – standing up in tackles and bullocking through would-be tacklers, he’s a very physical player. On the Private School Football front, Jake Kelly has regularly notched up 30+ disposals, and is within the elite bracket of APS players in 2013. At TAC Cup level, Kelly has averaged 20 disposals per game at TAC Cup level, including 4 marks, 3 tackles and just under 1 goal per game for the Chargers. His strengths certainly are in his running – he came third in the 3km at the National Combine – of which he was a late call up to. He offers plenty of mongrel and physicality – absolutely loves to fly the flag for his teammates and the jumper, is super quick, very agile, and has good athletic qualities. He’s not afraid to take intercept marks, and likes to push onto a wing. A strong tackler, Kelly loves to lay massive hip-and-shoulders and you could argue that there is plenty of rascal about him. Although he is still is a little patchy in areas, he needs to work on his decision making and his disposal under pressure a little bit and develop that consistency in his game.

This rubbish about Collingwood just running out of room is just that - rubbish. If they had wanted him they would have found a spot - so just say "we didn't want him" everything else is just spin to ease the situation with an ex player.

I couldn't care less if they overlooked him and didn't want him - players are overlooked all the time.

He's with us now and has a point to prove - play on.

This rubbish about Collingwood just running out of room is just that - rubbish. If they had wanted him they would have found a spot - so just say "we didn't want him" everything else is just spin to ease the situation with an ex player.

I couldn't care less if they overlooked him and didn't want him - players are overlooked all the time.

Collingwood's crammed rookie list has forced the club to overlook Jake Kelly, the teenage son of 1990 premiership defender and potential future president Craig Kelly

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/magpies-pass-over-jake-kelly-in-rookie-draft-20131126-2y874.html

Well obviously they didn't want to delist any of their existing rookies and Gault was apparently still under contract and they wanted to reduce their senior list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back