Past #5: Ben Jacobs - delisted after 64 NM games/10 NM goals - thanks Benny

Remove this Banner Ad

Jacobs' game was good enough that I know I'm reassessing how he might fit into the side now.

Like Tarrant, the caveat is that Geelong may a tad more disorganised and well, worse than the side we've come to know in recent years so these performances will need to be considered accordingly.

No, said he was happy to come to either Geelong or North, he let the clubs fight it out for his services. GC just wanted Geelong's compo pick more than our live pick.
He didn't commit to us though. Things get done when players nominate and commit.

0 tackles as a small defender worries me... he's the only non- KP player without tackles in his stats. (except dumont who only played 15 min).
It is odd a little, but tends to have a few tackles, as long as there's a one-percent, negates his opponent and rebounds effectively and quickly like he did, l have no problem with him.

It is odd a little, but tends to have a few tackles, as long as there's a one-percent, negates his opponent and rebounds effectively and quickly like he did, l have no problem with him.
For a small defender he really plays a very uncontested game, but so do our other small running defenders in Wright and LMac. Out of all of them he is least likely to tackle or apply pressure statistically speaking. He is however more likely to rebound he ball and bring it inside 50. But really, there is very little between all three, other than Wright being better in the air (contested marking) and LMac better in harassing opponents.

For a small defender he really plays a very uncontested game, but so do our other small running defenders in Wright and LMac. Out of all of them he is least likely to tackle or apply pressure statistically speaking. He is however more likely to rebound he ball and bring it inside 50. But really, there is very little between all three, other than Wright being better in the air (contested marking) and LMac better in harassing opponents.
I am surprised by that as they all defensively capable and the attributes to be effective tacklers.

I was just looking at last week's stats, teams who kept opponent to low score all seem to have a defender who got a lot of tackles (Toovey, Garland, Hurn) yet we don't have anyone getting that kind of tackle count.
This might be due to our midfield doing a good job ensuring opposition's inside50's are from long kicks, where we have good KPD to mitigate that.
But what happens if our midfield's don't perform on the day, or opposition's small fwds get those loose balls inside 50?
I'm afraid with those tackle numbers from our defenders we won't be able to handle it.

I was just looking at last week's stats, teams who kept opponent to low score all seem to have a defender who got a lot of tackles (Toovey, Garland, Hurn) yet we don't have anyone getting that kind of tackle count.
This might be due to our midfield doing a good job ensuring opposition's inside50's are from long kicks, where we have good KPD to mitigate that.
But what happens if our midfield's don't perform on the day, or opposition's small fwds get those loose balls inside 50?
I'm afraid with those tackle numbers from our defenders we won't be able to handle it.
This was costly against Port.

Be very interesting if he holds his spot this week.

Will be the first time (iirc) he will stay in based on performance, not just as cover for injury/suspension gaps.

Is a step forward for him if he does to force someone else out for a change, and deserved also.

0 tackles as a small defender worries me... he's the only non- KP player without tackles in his stats. (except dumont who only played 15 min).

IIRC, Dumont tackled Selwood as a second effort after a missed tackle on Duncan with about 6 min left on the clock in the last 1/4, so if he is not credited with a tackle they are wrong

I don't really rate Jacobs, but he had strung a couple of good games together to his credit.

Omitted anyway after his next average/poor game. Very harsh and unlucky as others have been/were worse but they get continual reprieves....

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very stiff. Had more disposals than most of our midfielders over the last three weeks...

I know he has his faults and decision making (especially selling teammates into trouble) is always a worry, but I didn't think he deserved to be dropped.

Quite a few are very lucky and I personally would have liked a more senior player to get omitted rather than have their form continually excused.

I don't really rate Jacobs, but he had strung a couple of good games together to his credit.

Omitted anyway after his next average/poor game. Very harsh and unlucky as others have been/were worse but they get continual reprieves....

I hate to bring up our usual disagreement but why did you have to preface your post with "I don't really rate Jacobs"?

It's ok if you think he's been good.

I hate to bring up our usual disagreement but why did you have to preface your post with "I don't really rate Jacobs"?

It's ok if you think he's been good.

Because I don't rate him highly (as an elite talent like people suggest) that's why.

But in saying that I feel he deserved another game considering other players (I also don't rate highly) were picked in preference and are in poorer form.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back