Retired # 5: Brent Stanton - Essendon VFL Head Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok - club clearly disagrees but it's subjective I guess...can't be proved or disproved
I think the club would be looking at building a midfield with the next flag window in mind. Stantons age dictates he wont be a part of it, so while he was one of our top mids this year, his contract has to fit where the team is placed/directed. And time has to be put in the young mids.
I can't be bothered but i'm sure Stantons stats would back up my belief that he was in the top couple of mids this year.

Last edited:
removed from leadership group?? harsh seeing he recently captained the team

Nothing wrong with passing the baton on to the future leaders of the club, or should Hurley and Baguley have been left out despite the fact they are clearly leaders among the playing group and will do so well after Staton has retired? Senior players can still play a leadership role despite not being in a designated group. It's not a snub, it's the club doing what's best for the team both now and into the future. Brent has been around for long enough to realise that.

Zaka on the other hand is a completely different kettle of fish.

Could it be a sign he may not be an automatic selection?
Not sure we can draw that bow.

I mean, we've seen vice-captains dropped from Grand Final sides in relatively recent years.

I think it's more a matter of passing the baton on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perfect world and all sure. In reality some players are undroppable.

I actually think Worsfold would be prepared to drop anyone if they put in a shocking month and/or consistently ignored team rules. It's just the best players are unlikely to put themselves in that situation so we'll probably never know.

Still our equal best this year.

Heppell, Zach Merrett and Goddard finished higher in the Crichton. Thats 3 that had better years according to the clubs rating.

The only other midfielder who played more than 12 games was Zarahakis. He had a better year than Zaka. The rest were injured.

Heppell, Zach Merrett and Goddard finished higher in the Crichton. Thats 3 that had better years according to the clubs rating.

The only other midfielder who played more than 12 games was Zarahakis. He had a better year than Zaka. The rest were injured.
Stanton had a better year than Goddard and Merrett, and the stats are there to prove it.
The rest being injured means nothing when we analyse who our best midfielders of 2015 were.

Stanton had a better year than Goddard and Merrett, and the stats are there to prove it.
The rest being injured means nothing when we analyse who our best midfielders of 2015 were.

The only opinions that really matter are the coaches who give out the votes based on their KPI's. The fact that Stanton finished 8th in B&F in a year where half the side was injured is pretty telling on what they thought of his game.

Getting cheap stats in the back half does not mean he is having a good year. Our midfield was ranked 16th for the year. Stanton was 4th best in midfield ranked last.

He's also been ousted from the leadership group. He should only be playing 10-12 games next year.

The only opinions that really matter are the coaches who give out the votes based on their KPI's. The fact that Stanton finished 8th in B&F in a year where half the side was injured is pretty telling on what they thought of his game.

Getting cheap stats in the back half does not mean he is having a good year. Our midfield was ranked 16th for the year. Stanton was 4th best in midfield ranked last.

He's also been ousted from the leadership group. He should only be playing 10-12 games next year.

Give it a break for FFS.

You need to still go out there and get the job done. He did that. Time to accept he is better than a run of the mill AFL footballer.

So, he played in the midfield or got cheap stats across half back?

So, he played in the midfield or got cheap stats across half back?

He played midfield and got cheap stats across half back or behind the play. Pretty simple really. 8th in the B&F says a lot in a poor year with half the side out.

Give it a break for FFS.

You need to still go out there and get the job done. He did that. Time to accept he is better than a run of the mill AFL footballer.

If getting the job done is being the 4th best mid in a bottom 4 side with a midfield that ranks last than so be it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back