Retired # 5: Brent Stanton - Essendon VFL Head Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

The only opinions that really matter are the coaches who give out the votes based on their KPI's. The fact that Stanton finished 8th in B&F in a year where half the side was injured is pretty telling on what they thought of his game.

Getting cheap stats in the back half does not mean he is having a good year. Our midfield was ranked 16th for the year. Stanton was 4th best in midfield ranked last.

He's also been ousted from the leadership group. He should only be playing 10-12 games next year.
Still managed to have more inside 50s than all of Heppell, Merrett and Goddard. Not a bad tackle average of 4.3 a game too.
Heppell had a good year and had a truck load of cheap kicks in the back half. We played most of the year in the back half.

There are only three certainties in life.

Persistent questioning of Stants attributes as a footballer is one of them.

Can't for the life of me recall what the other two were.

He played midfield and got cheap stats across half back or behind the play. Pretty simple really. 8th in the B&F says a lot in a poor year with half the side out.

If getting the job done is being the 4th best mid in a bottom 4 side with a midfield that ranks last than so be it.

Every side needs a role player. That's what Stanton will be if we are to lift from those bottom rungs to the top teams.

Heppell, Zach Merrett and Goddard finished higher in the Crichton. Thats 3 that had better years according to the clubs rating.

The only other midfielder who played more than 12 games was Zarahakis. He had a better year than Zaka. The rest were injured.
All of Heppell, Merrett and Goddard had to fill the gap left by Watson, Myers and Hocking. My guess is the coaches rated their game differently because of that. That doesn't mean that Stanton was poor.

The role Stanton plays is thoroughly important to a team contending, but not so much where we were in 2015. Don't be mistaken into thinking that makes him a poor or average player.

Sure he may be no superstar, but he is a very good gut running outside role player. The player who gives you options when everyone else is too spent.

All of Heppell, Merrett and Goddard had to fill the gap left by Watson, Myers and Hocking. My guess is the coaches rated their game differently because of that. That doesn't mean that Stanton was poor.

The role Stanton plays is thoroughly important to a team contending, but not so much where we were in 2015. Don't be mistaken into thinking that makes him a poor or average player.

Sure he may be no superstar, but he is a very good gut running outside role player. The player who gives you options when everyone else is too spent.

Stanton was poor, Goddard was poor. In fact everybody in the midfield group except for Heppell and Merrett were poor.

We were the worst midfield and finished in the bottom 4.

Role player, blah, blah. We've been making these excuses for everyone the past 10 years. Lets be honest. They are good average players who aren't good enough.

Stanton was poor, Goddard was poor. In fact everybody in the midfield group except for Heppell and Merrett were poor.

Role player, blah, blah. We've been making these excuses for everyone the past 10 years. Lets be honest. They are good average players who aren't good enough.
You're entitled to that view, I just disagree.

Good enough to finish in the top 10 (again) of the Chrichton.

But hey, he had a poor year..

Either you don't know what you are talking about or the people who mater are. I know who I'm believing.

Good enough to finish in the top 10 (again) of the Chrichton.

But hey, he had a poor year..

Either you don't know what you are talking about or the people who mater are. I know who I'm believing.

Top 10 of a bottom 4 side with the worst midfield in the league is borderline good ordinary after playing every single game.

I've already stated multiple times that Stanton has struggled to finish in the top 10 of the B&F in the last 5 years based on average votes per game. He does ok'ish due to his durability and our inability to keep anyone on the park.

If that's satisfactory for a senior mid then so be it. I disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 10 of a bottom 4 side with the worst midfield in the league is borderline good ordinary after playing every single game.

I've already stated multiple times that Stanton has struggled to finish in the top 10 of the B&F in the last 5 years based on average votes per game. He does ok'ish due to his durability and our inability to keep anyone on the park.

You make it sound like any player outside the top 3 of bottom 4 clubs are crap.

Stanton would have an opportunity in any side in the comp (yeah, even bloody Hawthorn).

He has finished in the top 5 (?) of our B&F in every year bar 3 (?) in his career.

If we had a gut busting outside midfielder ready to replace Stanton, I could happily make a case for 'the future' but as it stands, Jackson isn't ready to be that player and Parish has been I diapers longer than he has been at the club.

I think the point that i really disagree with you on, is the idea that he is holding us back. He is not a star of the game, but his consistency and durability mean that he would hold his place in premiership team and at times be made to look bloody good. He doesn't take the game by the scruff of the neck, but if surrounded by quality players he will fit in seamlessly. While the opposition are busy shutting down more dangerous options, he is the type to gather 35 touches and dig the boot in. What team doesn't want those sort of players unless they have 22 superstars?

Yeah. The statistics lie in this case. Merrett had a better year than Stanton, was far more influential than him.

I don't agree that Goddard did, though.
I don't agree with that. I think their influence was about the same, but seeing as Stanton played 5 more games, he gets the nod overall.
My view from watching all year seems validated by the stats, how about yours?

Last edited:
Your opinion is that others' opinion is baseless if it's not based on statistics, though. Or at least it seems that way.

My opinion that Merrett had a better year than Stanton is based on my perception that Merrett used the ball better and is a superior tackler. It's not a knock on Stanton, it's just my perception.

Really couldn't care if you think it's baseless.

I'm no Stanton basher and my opinion is that he was our third best mid in 2015.

Stanton had a weird year for him. Down on his usual influence early on but stood up and played out the season well when the wheels were falling off. Spent more time sweeping deep in defence than usual and did that pretty well.

Merrett was more damaging in the games he played IMO, but probably had less responsibility than Stants.

No they're not, but hold more weight than baseless opinion.

So anyone who does not agree their opinion is baseless ?

Stanton was very good some weeks but like the team was poor other weeks. When the chips are down he reverts to his default
mode which is running past calling for the ball when he shouldn't.
I would not be saying much about any ones form this season, apart from Hurley and Hooker the rest where patchy.

We will see where he fits in in 2016 and beyond. The side has to change to move on and upwards, not that he alone in that boat. There are a few regulars
who will be under the pump.

So anyone who does not agree their opinion is baseless ?

Stanton was very good some weeks but like the team was poor other weeks. When the chips are down he reverts to his default
mode which is running past calling for the ball when he shouldn't.
I would not be saying much about any ones form this season, apart from Hurley and Hooker the rest where patchy.

We will see where he fits in in 2016 and beyond. The side has to change to move on and upwards, not that he alone in that boat. There are a few regulars
who will be under the pump.
I was saying an opinion that has evidence holds more weight than an opinion without.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back