50m penalty for "abuse" - AKA, the umpire has a sook

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm with the OP.

Not a fan of any rule in any sport where it's open to such vague and differing interpretations. Especially when such interpretations are ruled upon right in the heat of battle. Unlike most rules in this sport there is generally a right or wrong call, especially once you check the replay... But "demonstrative abuse" really just comes down to the umpires vibe at the time.

Gotta have respect for the umpire and if a player wants to go over the top in his abuse send him to the tribunal where a ruling can be made with with logic and process (at least that is the theory) and hit them in the back pocket. if it's a bad enough incident or they are a continued repeat offender put them on the sidelines.

The point isn't just in the AFL itself, it's about the example it sets. If kids see their heroes abusing the umpires and arguing constantly, what do you think they'd do when they play footy?

Perhaps this is something the AFL could look at, given it is prevalent at local levels already and other codes.

Send-off for 10/15 minutes - and no player to replace the sent off player.

Would send the message pretty clearly that such abuse would not be tolerated. And i'm quite sure the coaches wouldn't want to be a man short at any time.

What's more ridiculous is the way players get away with behaving like brats to umpires in sports like soccer and tennis.

It is about self-discipline. Compared to other free kicks it is actually pretty easy to not give this one away.

And as others have said the main purpose is to set a good culture. Umpires not continuing at junior levels due to abuse simply has to stop. I was once witness to the 'ugly parent' at an U12s (?) game on a Sunday in Sydney of all places and anything the AFL can do to breed that out of the game's culture the better.

Understand the sentiment behind fining players, etc - but I think it is too much effort and would not work as well. In-game punishment effects the player immediately, he has immediately let his teammates down and it gives the umpire the power to stop the behaviour immediately, rather than let it build up and up and have to be dealt with later in the week.

Of course there still is scope under the current rules for fining a player afterward if the abuse is bad enough.

Perhaps this is something the AFL could look at, given it is prevalent at local levels already and other codes.

Send-off for 10/15 minutes - and no player to replace the sent off player.

Would send the message pretty clearly that such abuse would not be tolerated. And i'm quite sure the coaches wouldn't want to be a man short at any time.
In general I prefer the idea of short term send offs to 50m penalties. A lot of times a 50m means a likely or certain goal and with scores as low as they are these days it's too big of a penalty in most cases.

One thing that I hate in sport is players abusing officials. I have always liked the rugby union method of only the captain being allowed to approach the ref and only in a respectful manner.

I was watching an NRL game recently, when a team was defending about 10 metres out and one of the players abused the ref. He gave a penalty right in front of the posts, told the captain, I am not putting up with that from pointed out who the player was and the player got a bullocking for giving away points.

There should be immediate consequences for abusing an official. Just get on with the game.

I also completely disagree with the OP here. Abuse to umpires in sport is a terrible thing especially with the example it sets to the lower levels. Seeing the abuse in things like tennis is shocking.

I really like the idea of respect to the umpire in the rugby with only the captain meant to be able to address the ref (and talk to him professionally), but I understand the captain might be at the other end of the ground in AFL so it cant work completely the same way.

Free kicks and 50's are a perfect way to punish umpire abuse in AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are obviously a hell of a lot of posters in this thread who have never seen a sport called soccer... Charging at the referee, jostling them, pushing them, screaming in their faces, threatening them, spitting at them, etc. This problem in soccer was never addressed adequately over the years, which allowed it to grow steadily worse and has now become cultural and endemic to the code.

Our code on the other hand has historically been tough on the various forms of umpire abuse. The early rule-makers must have realised that the characteristics of our game (a high level of physical contact, fast-paced, played aggressively and at times brutally) might easily lead the players towards losing control with the officials. However, with few exceptions the highest levels of the game has nearly always kept on top of these types of problems. It has a tradition of being simply not the done thing. Remember the penalty Greg Williams was served for brushing an umpire, which in soccer is simply a weekly occurrence? :confused:

I truly hope they keep legislating properly and keep on top of this scourge.

Yeah I was gonna post this clip.

People calling umpires sooks have clearly never played sport.

Respect for the umpires is the first thing you should learn. You must respect the laws of the game, and you must respect the umpires who ensure those laws are followed.

Obviously umpires are human and make mistakes, but sportsmen must learn to play to the whistle.

I think most umpires to tolerate a fair amount of backtalk... as long as it stays within a certain tone, and isn't over the top, but once a player goes over a certain line, it must be called.
And a lot of times where pick something out that looks soft from the umpires, there has been a lot said in the build-up to it, and it is just that last event that was the straw that broke the camels back.

I have always liked the rugby union method of only the captain being allowed to approach the ref and only in a respectful manner.

I'm pretty sure that's actually the rule in a lot of sports (I think it is in soccer) it just isn't policed very often, particularly at the highest levels, when all these star players think they have a right to talk back to the ref.

The sport that has this most right is Rugby Union. And it all boils down to respect.

Completely disagree with the OP. And I would think teams/coaches would want players to keep a controlled calm too - if you're going off your nut at the umpire, then you mind is in the wrong place.

I'm a bit old school but definately agree with the rule although have rarely had to apply it. It's actually the players who are the sooks by going off their nut and chucking the toys out of the cot. These guys luckily are the minority as most players know how to control themselves. Seems to be a symptom of the world blaming everyone else though - a player can't control his mouth yet it becomes the umpire at fault. Biggest issue faced by umpiring over the years has been recruitment and the 50m rule is actually part of the measures instigated by the AFL to make umpiring a slightly more attractive option for some kids. The rule isn't in place to make sure that Razor Ray is protected from copping a gobful every second weekend, it's to make sure down the track you've got someone turning up to umpire your under 14's instead of a few dads having to fill in.

I believe umpires should be shown the upmost respect- without them, we wouldn't have a game- however, if you do have a problem with the umpire, why don't you take it up with him after a game? just say 'look mate, can we have a chat after the game, i think there were a few calls you made which were bad'. Bang, no 50m penalty and a happy ump

Remove this Banner Ad

Back