Votes: 89 41.8%
  • Forward Pocket

Votes: 124 58.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_8225.jpg

As the season draws to a close, I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on how they think Jack had gone officially leading the club for the first time this season.

Positives?
Negatives?
Things he has done that epitomise what it's is to be a leader & things he needs to do better?

His last quarter against Melbourne was a highlight for me. Real captains quarter.

I feel it's been overall a pretty positive season, especially from an off-field point of view.

Hopefully the move forward isn't a one off because the times when he takes big grabs / kicks goals are the ones that seem to fire the lads up - those 'captains moments' if you will.

On-field rating C+
Off-field rating A

Thought Jack spoke extremely well.

Doubt his older-fashioned contact views (like mine) align with AFL, but good on him for being honest.

Hopefully after solid pre-season and we get something like a best 22 running around we will rebound very quickly.

View attachment 401417

As the season draws to a close, I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on how they think Jack had gone officially leading the club for the first time this season.

Positives?
Negatives?
Things he has done that epitomise what it's is to be a leader & things he needs to do better?

His last quarter against Melbourne was a highlight for me. Real captains quarter.

I feel it's been overall a pretty positive season, especially from an off-field point of view.

Hopefully the move forward isn't a one off because the times when he takes big grabs / kicks goals are the ones that seem to fire the lads up - those 'captains moments' if you will.

On-field rating C+
Off-field rating A
I think he is a tremendous Captain in the traditional sense of leading by example, doing the hard yards, going when its his turn or not, sacrificing everything to help the team. It that sense i see him right up there with the great AFL captains.

The grading around his on field contribution however needs to be lower, much lower. At 150 games, 8 years in the system JZ should be a dominant mid fielder - an A grader - winning us games in the mould of Kennedy, Martin etc. He is miles off that and the probability is he will never get there - hence people are suggesting he become a forward. Trying to find a role for your Captain at the age of 26 is not a good outcome for JZ or the club.

He is still capable of great cameo's - like last week - but these need to be regular consistent performances and that just doesn't happen with JZ.

I think he is a tremendous Captain in the traditional sense of leading by example, doing the hard yards, going when its his turn or not, sacrificing everything to help the team. It that sense i see him right up there with the great AFL captains.

The grading around his on field contribution however needs to be lower, much lower. At 150 games, 8 years in the system JZ should be a dominant mid fielder - an A grader - winning us games in the mould of Kennedy, Martin etc. He is miles off that and the probability is he will never get there - hence people are suggesting he become a forward. Trying to find a role for your Captain at the age of 26 is not a good outcome for JZ or the club.

He is still capable of great cameo's - like last week - but these need to be regular consistent performances and that just doesn't happen with JZ.

Just wait until the season is done and goes into surgery for any lil niggles and injuries

Everyone quickly forgets how good he was before he cracked his ribs earlier in the year. Ever since then he kept getting battered and beaten up

Zeebs would be filthy that he couldn't be the leader he reallllly wanted to be in 2017

Watch out 2018

His leadership "talk" and courageous actions on the field can't be questioned but if he wants to take his leadership to another level he needs to work bloody hard on his defensive running and consistency.

It's still disappointing that he doesn't have the tank to run out games in the midfield. A shift to a more permanent role in the forward line would be best for his body, and will allow him to Impact more games.

His start was not as good as he probably hoped but I think he's improved over the season.

Apparently his figures are career best for the year.

Last quarter v Melbourne and last half v Collingwood were excellent performances.

So if nothing else the trends are good. He has definitely improved and I'm hoping he keeps growing into the role over the rest of this season (and probably the first half of next year.)

Like that the media is running with the idea. Time to change it up!
I can see him in that Robbie Gray mold, if not better as he has great defensive pressure and better at winning the contested ball.

Hopefully we recruit some mids who can allow JZ to focus more forward.

We don't have any medium forwards who can take a grab.
I actually miss the days where we could throw him forward and watch him tear it up.
2014-15 seems like a long long time ago now doesn't it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets hope Brad plays him more fwd than midfield even though he prefers to play midfield. Anytime I see him play fwd he looks so natural there.

Like Brad said last week...sometimes you have to protect players from themselves. This is how you do it Brad.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I actually miss the days where we could throw him forward and watch him tear it up.

Wood and Garner?

I think we could still play Ziebs forward more often, it's just that we choose not to.

Wood and Garner?

I think we could still play Ziebs forward more often, it's just that we choose not to.
Wood I see more of a tall and Taylor does his best work up the ground not inside 50.

Why can't we?

Why do we refuse to start LMac or Atley in the square? They could play first ruck and still start on the wing.

Wood I see more of a tall and Taylor does his best work up the ground not inside 50.
I think they need to stop babying wood, and get him in the contest, not so much outside wing - might be good for his calves too, unless we want him to become permanently like wells. Previous years wood has had awesome contested ball win percentages, so I think the ability is there in spades.

I could see a future of ziebs and cunners playing more time in the 50, with the younger crew taking on more load. Cunners especially I think is a dead-eye, almost never misses, not sure if he has the range of ziebs though.

I definitely like the role garner plays, you are 100 percent correct he definitely does some great work up the field. We need to have more from these guys as far as flexibility in rotations.

MODS: can we please have a (C) or something in this thread title since his is our current captain.

A small thing but surely deserving.

Yeah, why not eh?

Speaking of this thread, this marks the 10,000th post (the limit on threads these days), so #7: Jack Ziebell (C) version II thread is nigh (like later today unless another mod wishes to do the honours as I CBF'd at 3am with the alarm going off before 7am).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back