AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Your ANZAC Day Medallist - 25/4

Remove this Banner Ad

It'd be close between him, Winders and Chapman. As a forward I'd take him but he doesn't have the same flexibility of the other two.
He's not clearly better than either of them, and as you said our 2 are more flexible.
Once again I can't tell if you're serious or not. Although being predominantly a midfielder he spends a lot of time in the forward line. We have enough players that can spend a few more minutes in the midfield to allow Palmer to become that 35 goal high forward flanker. In case you didn't catch my comment before, I never said he would replace either of that trio.

Still haven't said why he couldn't fill Zach's shoes. I would say Rhys is marginally better at the moment although Zach will be the better player by a fair way.
What? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. First of all Melksham rarely spends time forward, Zaharakis, Watson, Goddard, Stanton off the top of my head spent more time inside forward 50 than him last year. In case you didn't notice, Palmer plays the same role as those 3, ergo he would have to displace one of the three to be in the best 22 at Essendon. Your comments are far from the mark, as far from the mark about how Smith was much better than Birchall when that clearly wasn't the case and it isn't the case here either.

Zach's faster, a better kick and plays more midfield minutes.

It also depends
He's not clearly better than either of them, and as you said our 2 are more flexible.

What? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. First of all Melksham rarely spends time forward, Zaharakis, Watson, Goddard, Stanton off the top of my head spent more time inside forward 50 than him last year. In case you didn't notice, Palmer plays the same role as those 3, ergo he would have to displace one of the three to be in the best 22 at Essendon. Your comments are far from the mark, as far from the mark about how Smith was much better than Birchall when that clearly wasn't the case and it isn't the case here either.

Zach's faster, a better kick and plays more midfield minutes.
Better? No. Provides more of a scoreboard impact which we desperately need? Yes.

Melksham regularly plays off a forward flank, more than Watson does! Palmer has the ability to push into the midfield more often, it's just the quality that GWS have running through the centre that stops him. If he was with us I can guarantee you he would rotate through the midfield much more often than he does at GWS. I maintain that Brodie Smith's rebounding ability which sets up many attacks for Adelaide, ability to hit long range goals and his tackling + spoiling is more valuable off a back flank than Birchall's intercept marking and more disposals. Not sure why you brought that up, perhaps you enjoy arguing?

Zach has better acceleration, top speed is in Rhys' favour. He's a more consistent kick than Palmer but doesn't have the scoreboard impact that Rhys has, thus why I'd expect Rhys to seriously challenge Zach for his spot in the 22.

please don't turn lil Zacs thread to s**t.
I intend on reading it all again one day and don't want to be reading about Rhys Palmer, start comparing him to Chapman now (to early I know) and by career end it could be very close between the 2 of them, Palmer is very average.

Not sure that second year blues is really a thing. It's viewed as this physical limitation when in reality it is more to do with a changing role or different attention from teams.

Someone who has actual knowledge may want to weigh in but I doubt that there is any physiological reason why a second year player would not be physically more capable than he was in his first year in almost every circumstance excluding a disaster pre-season.

It could be that the gains made in year two might not be substantial enough to cope with increased attention/expectation which is why there might be a little lag but then the blues are really just fan perception rather than a reflection of actual output. Take Heppell, for example, in year two he was a much more significant player even if he wasn't as noticeably prolific because he played midfield minutes rather than just racking up numbers behind the ball. Given that we had a pretty stodgy midfield in 2012 it was really significant thing for him to be thrown in there and basically become the second inside midfielder.

I can't really think of a recent case where really good first year has not been backed up (excluding injury).
Toby Greene.

I had a bit of a think about this recently and came up with three explanations:
- Increased coaching demands, no more gifted games and being asked to do more than just run at the ball.
- Opposition attention.
- Doing more of the second pre-season than the first and not quite coping.

Toby Greene.

I had a bit of a think about this recently and came up with three explanations:
- Increased coaching demands, no more gifted games and being asked to do more than just run at the ball.
- Opposition attention.
- Doing more of the second pre-season than the first and not quite coping.
He was asked to expand his outside game and got moved out of position to HB, which was a bad move for both him and GWS. He's a right footed Matt Priddis.

Not sure that second year blues is really a thing. It's viewed as this physical limitation when in reality it is more to do with a changing role or different attention from teams.

As fodzilla mentioned, there are a few things that are likely to make things look like second year blues, but I think it is less a case of the player going backwards and more increased expectations.

You covered it in your question I'd say. Public expectation to wow as much as they did initially, plus the increased attention they get from opposition and also often being given a more accountable role in the team.

Similar to Brownlow blues. It rarely hits a player that has been at his peak for a while, like a Swan, Judd or Jnr, but a Brownlow out of the blue like Cooney, Woewodin and possibly Priddis often lead to the above happening.

Even if he doesnt its no biggie. Its a very good first year to back up and as stated increased attention will come especially to a guy who is so good with his decision making and foot skills. Allowing this guy to get 20 touches a game is dangerous for opposition especially when more of them are in the middle or offensive half of the ground.

Ive read the last page of this thread and have no idea what people are talking about
tumblr_mvfbyiQz8k1somw7ho1_r1_1280.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Breakout game maybe?
Can't tell because he plays with high intensity every game. Today he played in the middle a lot more and for a second year player against them, it was a very very good performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back