VFL Past #75: Kurt Aylett

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to school with Kurt. He's a good kid with a decent head on his shoulders. Can run all day and has good pace. Played good off half back with plenty of run. Could also put him on a wing

Hey Kurt,
Happy to have you on board mate :)

This guy is "coming off an ACL" in the same way that Dempsey is "coming off an ACL" - he's not. He's played a season and a half since returning ffs.

95.gif

very for me

I hate to be a negative nancy, but I don't think he'll make it. Happy to be proven wrong.

I think GWS have just managed to recruit more mature aged players this trade period than they expected, still talk they want Everitt as well as Lamb and getting pick 20 from Melbourne has given them an extra pick that's too good to not use.

I hate to be a negative nancy, but I don't think he'll make it. Happy to be proven wrong.

Any statement like this is nothing more than a guess at this stage. At his age, GWS is the hardest midfield to break into in the country, add in an ACL (he doesn't have dodgy knees any more than Brendon Goddard does) and he was coming from a fair way back, and was never going to overtake established kids, no matter how well he played really.

He's done with his rehab and all that, so we should be able to get a decent indication of what he can do straight away

I believe (to the best of my understanding) we got the two players so cheap because:
GWS has to trim list back to the standard 40 spots down from 55 (allowed to the expansion clubs to start up).. so they are pruning any guys they don't feel are likely to be in their best 22.

The list doesn't have to be trimmed this year,the cuts start next year and it only gets reduced by 2 spots a year until 2019.

Aylett is very much a light, outside, running machine. I think he is so cheap a trade because that is his value. Like most wingers who don't win their own footy he has more bad days than good.

Edwards is the one. He oozes class but is lazy. If things click for him he could be a big success.

The list doesn't have to be trimmed this year,the cuts start next year and it only gets reduced by 2 spots a year until 2019.

Aylett is very much a light, outside, running machine. I think he is so cheap a trade because that is his value. Like most wingers who don't win their own footy he has more bad days than good.

Edwards is the one. He oozes class but is lazy. If things click for him he could be a big success.

I understand it doesn't have to be trimmed this year.. I was indicating that over the next 5 years they have to start pruning.. and they do need to trim the list this year.. to make room for the next 4 top 20 picks you guys have!

You would have to agree that you will have high list turnover this year and probably the next three years as you find the right balance..

Guys like Aylett that haven't hit their straps.. or are fringe/below fringe have to be culled.. to get the next big thing in and the older guys that you desperately needed this year..

I think you are on track for around 14 list changes?? That is a high number.. so I stand by the sentiment of my post which was "just cause we got him cheap doesn't make him crap.. but nor is he likely to be a superstar"

Hopefully guys like Jobe, BJ and Chappy can fix the laziness.

This this and this.. strong culture.. strong leadership.. a team that is winning and not getting its butt kicked every week..

A chance of actually getting a game.. and spending time with development coaches.. instead of being 1 of 30 young players all vying for attention..

Plus the strong indigenous programs we have.. and mentors and community links.. (GWS didn't have any 'elder' indigenous players), not saying GWS did anything wrong.. but I've had two great chats with younger EFC indigenous players who spoke about the importance of guys like Nat Rat etc in helping them become 'professional' etc etc.. so I think it does make a difference..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People said this about Lovett & Ryder, sometimes I think it is because the things they do they can just make it look so easy, but have patches where they just seem to go missing.

just some follow up info on Aylett, some tidbits off blitz from really good sources.

Basically Aylett was someone we liked from the outset of trade period, and we were going hard at him just as much as we were at Edwards.

Long story short is we really rate him, he's not a throw in at all.

Apparently a hard worker, has got decent pace and solid but unspectacular skills. Would be looking at a Ben Howlett type but a bit quicker (would have been a lot quicker w/o the dicky knee)

zone selection.

is from the riverina area but got a scholarship to do vce in ballarat, and therefore played tac for the rebels
Was he a zone selection or was he one of the Giants 17 year old selections?, same as Dylan Shiel, Jeremy Cameron etc

Was he a zone selection or was he one of the Giants 17 year old selections?, same as Dylan Shiel, Jeremy Cameron etc

Actually yeah you're right, signed as a 17 year old.

Was very highly regarded at that age, just hasn't come on yet

I don't know a great deal about him but his combine tests look awesome and if he was signed as a 17 year old he must have had big wraps on him. GWS were able to sign 12? or so 17 year olds born between JAN and APR of whatever year they were born.

Lets just hope we can get his potential out of him

It's certainly promising but you can't tell with a great deal of accuracy what kind of footballer someone is going to turn into while they're just 17.

Just out of interest, what would be the prognosis long term for his ACL? Dempsey and Winderlich both had knee recos didn't they? They're both still pretty quick across the turf.

It's certainly promising but you can't tell with a great deal of accuracy what kind of footballer someone is going to turn into while they're just 17.

Just out of interest, what would be the prognosis long term for his ACL? Dempsey and Winderlich both had knee recos didn't they? They're both still pretty quick across the turf.
depends on his confidence in his knee, once rehab is done a player shouldn't lose to much pace/acceleration but its whether they can trust it.
I did my hamstring for the first time at the start of this year, came back and played the last 4 games but i'm still not 100% on it yet, have that feeling in the back of my mind that its ready to go again any time soon.

Once you do it its never 100% again, gotta feel for that hawk whos name slips my mind, 3 recos so far in his career

Remove this Banner Ad

Back