Past #8: Daniel Wells - joins Collingwood as a FA - North get pick #32 as compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

* this s**t.. I havnt been this angry since we lost to Brisbane last year
how *in hard is it to get players you pay hundreds of thousands of dollars fit

*in shitcampaigners
Its like oh well invest in you but completely * up tryna ensure you stay healthy.. mmm great management

**** this s**t.. I havnt been this angry since we lost to Brisbane last year
how ****in hard is it to get players you pay hundreds of thousands of dollars fit

****in shitcampaigners
Its like oh well invest in you but completely **** up tryna ensure you stay healthy.. mmm great management

s**t happens. The human body breaks easily.
Hence every team having an injury list.

**** this s**t.. I havnt been this angry since we lost to Brisbane last year
how ****in hard is it to get players you pay hundreds of thousands of dollars fit

****in shitcampaigners
Its like oh well invest in you but completely **** up tryna ensure you stay healthy.. mmm great management

The issue with Well is, and has always has been, that he doesn't cope well with niggles. We all know it.
I am sure the coaching staff are as frustrated as us. Jack gets patched up and gets back out there every week, Wellsy is at the other end of the spectrum...

s**t happens. The human body breaks easily.
Hence every team having an injury list.
Its the fact that he missed so much footy last year but then this niggle is apparently a result of the increased pressure to manage his foot..
I mean we aint talking about Mullet or Harper.. Wells may have been the difference between us finishing top 4 last year and not.. And now hes out again and the team is hurting..
It was a freak accident that Drew stood on his foot.. But the strain on his Achilles, surely that cant be bad luck also.

The issue with Well is, and has always has been, that he doesn't cope well with niggles. We all know it.
I am sure the coaching staff are as frustrated as us. Jack gets patched up and gets back out there every week, Wellsy is at the other end of the spectrum...
Fair to say with this guy on the sidelines our chances of doing anything remotely threatening in 2015 are * all.. Its hard to take

Must say I'm a little relieved. Granted that's most likely because I read the original tweet as "Wells career in doubt." and had a mini heart attack o_O

Its the fact that he missed so much footy last year but then this niggle is apparently a result of the increased pressure to manage his foot..
I mean we aint talking about Mullet or Harper.. Wells may have been the difference between us finishing top 4 last year and not.. And now hes out again and the team is hurting..
It was a freak accident that Drew stood on his foot.. But the strain on his Achilles, surely that cant be bad luck also.

Sure it can be bad luck. Brent Reilly retired today because of bad luck. Nicky Dal played over 100 consecutive games because of hard work and good luck. Well's body has always had problems. Bad luck at training, bad luck when his genetics were handed out, s**t happens, and happens to some more than others.

He's finished.

Significant inflamation means he can't handle the type of workload he has been given and it's taking a long time to heal.

He will never string games together again and he will never hit elite AFL fitness or match conditioning again.

He will be able to cross train heaps but everyone knows that is not good enough for AFL fitness levels.

Give him 3 months off and trade.

Must say I'm a little relieved. Granted that's most likely because I read the original tweet as "Wells career in doubt." and had a mini heart attack o_O

Played a total of 10 weeks last year.

Given Scott's comments about 4 weeks that will be 8 weeks he'll have missed if he comes back at that time.

It depends what you mean by in doubt.

I don't think we will ever see a Wellss fit and firing for a whole season again. He's 30, he's missed a fair chunk of time through his career to injury.

We need to be finding a replacement, one who can play the week in week out without the potential that every game might be his last for months on end.

Played a total of 10 weeks last year.

Given Scott's comments about 4 weeks that will be 8 weeks he'll have missed if he comes back at that time.

It depends what you mean by in doubt.

I don't think we will ever see a Wellss fit and firing for a whole season again. He's 30, he's missed a fair chunk of time through his career to injury.

We need to be finding a replacement, one who can play the week in week out without the potential that every game might be his last for months on end.
I agree totally. If we can get him to play consistently at any stage this year or next I think it will be a win. I read on twitter earlier that by round 10 Wellsy would have missed 22 of the past 29 games. Pretty damming statistics.

On the point of a replacement, who you suggest we target? Still spewing that Geelong got their hands on Cockatoo before we did! :(

We have no run and no class.

The rest of the football world have been banging on about this for...ever. This board and all north fans have been up in arms declaring it as a falsity. (is that even a word) But the players that can take the field right now aren't exactly doing anything to dispel the myth.

looking at our drafts, we tried to inject some class with Bmac, hasnt worked to date, will it ever?
We fluked Wood at that pick, coming along nicely and vitally important.
Lmac was meant to be more offensively than he has been to date, will continue to improve no doubt.
I don't think Garner will add any noticeably lift in 'class' if he ever gets fit being the player that he is.
Dumont is an unkown, will be unbelievable if he can replicate ollie wines clinch moments and goals from stoppages, on the outside? i cant comment.
Mullet, at the very least, needs to be available for selection, has hiss flaws like the rest of them, but offers elite ball use and dangerous around goals. would be first picked if fit such is the current lack of run.

We have brought in dal and higgins, absolute necessities the both of em. Can't even imagine not anticipating having both at their best come finals.

We need another one two punch this draft or trade week, pace and skill, pace and skill. trade up players/picks/wristies, whatever it takes to get a top ten outside mid with pace and endurance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The rest of the football world have been banging on about this for...ever. This board and all north fans have been up in arms declaring it as a falsity. (is that even a word) But the players that can take the field right now aren't exactly doing anything to dispel the myth.

looking at our drafts, we tried to inject some class with Bmac, hasnt worked to date, will it ever?
We fluked Wood at that pick, coming along nicely and vitally important.
Lmac was meant to be more offensively than he has been to date, will continue to improve no doubt.
I don't think Garner will add any noticeably lift in 'class' if he ever gets fit being the player that he is.
Dumont is an unkown, will be unbelievable if he can replicate ollie wines clinch moments and goals from stoppages, on the outside? i cant comment.
Mullet, at the very least, needs to be available for selection, has hiss flaws like the rest of them, but offers elite ball use and dangerous around goals. would be first picked if fit such is the current lack of run.

We have brought in dal and higgins, absolute necessities the both of em. Can't even imagine not anticipating having both at their best come finals.

We need another one two punch this draft or trade week, pace and skill, pace and skill. trade up players/picks/wristies, whatever it takes to get a top ten outside mid with pace and endurance.
So what you're saying is we have a lack of polish?

Surely he isn't playing is because he physically can't, or will cause more damage. Not just because he can't handle niggles that Jack and co carry each week.

Last edited:
So what you're saying is we have a lack of polish?

despite recruiters best of intentions yes, a ground breaking revelations i know. :oops:

injuries have made it that little bit harder though. If Cam delaney was fit and firing, could we have gone with a mid out of one of 3 'defender' types last year?

He's finished.

Significant inflamation means he can't handle the type of workload he has been given and it's taking a long time to heal.

He will never string games together again and he will never hit elite AFL fitness or match conditioning again.

He will be able to cross train heaps but everyone knows that is not good enough for AFL fitness levels.

Love Wellsy, but there might be merit in trading him.

Our 1st rounder and Wellsy, would that be enough to get a Shiel or Treloar type to the club?

Love Wellsy, but there might be merit in trading him.

Our 1st rounder and Wellsy, would that be enough to get a Shiel or Treloar type to the club?
Don't think he has much currency to be honest. Other clubs would be well aware of his injury problems the last couple of years.

He's finished.

Sad thing is he has no value, if he can't get on the park who would take him?, not worth the risk what did he play 10 games last year? 1 so far this year , put a fork in him.....

I don't interpret this as negatively as some.

Jack plays a collision style of game where determination and smarts can get him through.

While Wells has a very good inside mid skillset, a large part of his game is based on smooth movement and evasion as well as outright pace. Jack's instinctive game is bash and crash, Wells' instinctive game is slide and glide.

Therefore it's a little simplistic to label him mentally weak (not so much in this post but some others around it) based on this.

despite recruiters best of intentions yes, a ground breaking revelations i know. :oops:

injuries have made it that little bit harder though. If Cam delaney was fit and firing, could we have gone with a mid out of one of 3 'defender' types last year?
Yeah I started a thread last week on our lack of polish so the point your making is just backing up my concerns OE :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back