Past #8: Daniel Wells - joins Collingwood as a FA - North get pick #32 as compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Inflammation, cortisone, weight gain?
Followed by intensified training, form peak, re-injury.

Really feel for Wellsy. He would be pretty shattered I'd imagine, although I think after nearly dying just a couple of years ago, he'd be quite philosophical about this latest set back.

Would be a tragedy if it was to end like this, for him & us. He's the smoothest thing in blue n white stripes since Keith Greig brought new meaning to the word grace.

Last edited:
The sack Scott stuff on Saturday night after a win was right up there for mine.

Nah mate this is worse.

I hold some fear for his career but to say 'you're broken so we'll f*** you off for all we can get'
Is just shitful.

Nah mate this is worse.

I hold some fear for his career but to say 'you're broken so we'll f*** you off for all we can get'
Is just shitful.
Oh I agree, talk of binning a club champion (multiple) when he has been so loyal to our club is disgraceful!!! Just pointing out that there are crazy dudes, posting crazy s**t all over the place.

224 games. Entitled to a bit more respect imo.
Agreed.
My personal angst was that for someone so valuable to our chances of doing anything this year the club could not afford to lose him again. We saw what happened when he came back last year. Devastating form he was in.
And now its 2014 all over again. Im shitty we couldnt keep him fit.

Anything remotely threatening happens in the second half of the season. If we just stay in touch and ahead of the win/loss ledger until the bye, Wells and Dal come back and we can really make our move.
Im not expecting either back till July. If we are in the top 6 by then, pwoah look out. Hope Hawthorn, Port Sydney and Adelaide keep dropping games.

Im not expecting either back till July. If we are in the top 6 by then, pwoah look out. Hope Hawthorn, Port Sydney and Adelaide keep dropping games.

Agree. I'd have no problem if he returns in about round 18 absolutely cherry ripe in time for finals (so long as the boys have got the job done along the way).

Worst case scenario is if we can't manage to win enough games and we feel we need to bring him back a little early and risk it to bolster the team, and he goes down even worse.

Just listened to AFL exchange. Drew Lowther said he had heard Wells might be out 6-8 weeks, while Petrie said he would be extremely surprised if Wells wasn't back in the team within about 4 weeks.

Lowther also mentioned something we've all suspected, that we don't have a great record with how long injured players are out for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure what value an injured 30 year old has on the trade table, but I'd rather we stick by him in case he comes good.

Watching a fit Daniel Wells play is better than sex.
In case he comes good?

IN CASE HE COMES GOOD?

How about BECAUSE HE IS DANIEL FREAKING WELLS AND HE AND THE CLUB HAVE STUCK BY EACH OTHER THROUGH WORSE THAN THIS!?!?!?!?!

Trading Wellsy is nearly the most outrageous thing I have read on here.

When he chooses too, he will retire a club legend. May be sooner rather than later, but that doesn't mean he should be treated with contempt.

Bar Boomer, he has provided more highlights during his career than anyone on our list.
Because I can only like this once I am also quoting it.

Just listened to AFL exchange. Drew Lowther said he had heard Wells might be out 6-8 weeks, while Petrie said he would be extremely surprised if Wells wasn't back in the team within about 4 weeks.

Lowther also mentioned something we've all suspected, that we don't have a great record with how long injured players are out for.

I would take 8 weeks if it was guaranteed that he would come back in good nick.

I don't like waiting, but I'll wait quietly for Wellsy's return.

PS to the Club - please stop bull shitting to the members about the injuries. I'd prefer no injury reports at all instead of misleading ones. You're not fooling the opposition, you're only fooling your best supporters.
You have got to be joking. I don't know how many times I and others have said on here but injury rehabilitation is as far as you can get from an exact science. Injury reports are most likely the best information that they have at the time; they can't help if injury situations deteriorate or don't come along as expected. It is a joke that anyone can think that they're purely used as a way to fool the opposition; it's a fluid situation and the medical staff would be giving the players the best treatment and advice they can otherwise they would be out of a job.

You have got to be joking. I don't know how many times I and others have said on here but injury rehabilitation is as far as you can get from an exact science. Injury reports are most likely the best information that they have at the time; they can't help if injury situations deteriorate or don't come along as expected. It is a joke that anyone can think that they're purely used as a way to fool the opposition; it's a fluid situation and the medical staff would be giving the players the best treatment and advice they can otherwise they would be out of a job.

You have got to be joking.

I think the keyword there was exact. Everyone heals at a different rate, and setbacks are known to happen; sometimes things are the old 'wait and see' kind of deal. Sure you can give time-frames based on typical cases of the injury, or even off of that particular athlete's history, but it's generally a guesstimate at best.

You can't seriously think that the club can give exact time frames on injuries, particularly hamstrings (Garner) and achilles when they are so temperamental, unpredictable and can severely deteriorate over the space of a couple of days..

I think the keyword there was exact. Everyone heals at a different rate, and setbacks are known to happen; sometimes things are the old 'wait and see' kind of deal. Sure you can give time-frames based on typical cases of the injury, or even off of that particular athlete's history, but it's generally a guesstimate at best.

Apologies for reading the whole sentence and not one word. ''As far as you can get from an exact science'' is what was said. That = witch doctors.

Jump to the club's defence if you want. That's fine with me. I love the club too. I just want a little bit more accurate information about the injuries.

I hope with all my heart that we haven't seen the last of wellsy. Do everything you can medical team, if we can have him fit and firing towards the end of the year then we'll have some serious X factor, let's hope.

Problem is over use. You don't even feel it coming and then all of a sudden it's there. At its worst, if I kept it still, like for example driving for a couple of hours I would find that I could barely walk on it it was so sore. A podiatrist looked at my achilles and said you can feel the scar tissue from when it happened. Nothing happened. It just appeared.

Apologies for reading the whole sentence and not one word. ''As far as you can get from an exact science'' is what was said. That = witch doctors.

Jump to the club's defence if you want. That's fine with me. I love the club too. I just want a little bit more accurate information about the injuries.
Semantics, and perhaps some hyperbole from me. The point still stands however, it's a fluid situation that changes day to day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back