Past #8: Daniel Wells - joins Collingwood as a FA - North get pick #32 as compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

He's no leader, he lacks motivation as shown by the first 3 quarters. That's a closer representation of Wells' mental state then the once in the blue moon 4th quarter. We won't be seeing that again anytime soon.

Im putting it down to being tired of being a senior player in a team that relies so heavily on him. If guys like Bastinac, Cunnington, Ziebell and Atley were performing week in week out like they should be at this stage I recon Wellsy would be a better player. It's time players around him stood up. There were no excuses for that effort. In my opinion it looked worse on t.v because of the angle, but the worrying thing for me is that effort may typify were Wellsy is at with his footy and I can't see it changing to be honest.

Stupid call. There's more to dropping a player then 1 act. That would do nothing but shatter his confidence and unnecessarily embarrass him, he's already been embarrassed with his effort. He clearly recognised how poor that effort was along with the rest of his game and did something about it.

Yeah I get, if he did it for the whole game blah blah etc. - I agree. But he was exposed and responded. Dropping him would do no good.
Its about changing the defensive mindset of these players, if you continue to gift guys games then you will not change the culture and thus not fix the problem.

The only stupid call is to continue to play these guys, this is why we are in this sh** in the first place.

You have obviously never played a game of football in your life

We would never lose again.

After his gutless, pissweak effort at tackling Tuohy, he put in harder than anyone else bar Ziebell did all night.

He would win Brownlow if he sustained the effort he put in.

We've been put under the pump media wise about our on field leadership and he does that....... mind blowing.
And embarrassing!!

Its about changing the defensive mindset of these players, if you continue to gift guys games then you will not change the culture and thus not fix the problem.

The only stupid call is to continue to play these guys, this is why we are in this sh** in the first place.

I agree mate, but unfortuantely this should have been done in year 1 and 2. Not 4 and maybe 5. Look at Malthouse. Been at Carton for 2 minutes and already getting a pretty average side talent wise to do the hard things regularly. I think It's all to little to late, but maybe worth dropping a few more big names. Better now than next year.

No I actually I have, I played A grade for several years - i dont see how this is relevant in any way. You don't drop one of your best players, embarrass him in the process and kill his confidence when he clearly recognised how crap his effort was and went harder then anyone else (bar Ziebell maybe) after it.

No I actually I have, I played A grade for several years - i dont see how this is relevant in any way. You don't drop one of your best players, embarrass him in the process and kill his confidence when he clearly recognised how crap his effort was and went harder then anyone else (bar Ziebell maybe) after it.
Doing those efforts in one quarter doesnt help you long term. We have to look to the future while we are young and change their defensive mindset and if we dont do it now then well will miss the boat while Boomer and Petrie are still around.

He's no leader, he lacks motivation as shown by the first 3 quarters. That's a closer representation of Wells' mental state then the once in the blue moon 4th quarter. We won't be seeing that again anytime soon.

Hows Goldy's mental state?? He gets a write up in the paper regarding him being buggered, then when everyone is watching him closely he gives a performance like that.

I will state this with no hesitations , Goldy is mentally frail.

Hilarious!

Whenever you post a comment about football tactics, you should include how many games of AFL you have played, in which league they were played and where you finished in your club's B&F.

If the post concerns the club, you should include in your post details concerning how long you've been a member, how many player badges you wore on your duffle coat as a kid and the number of actual North Melbourne clothing items you own. (Items of clothing owned by your children can be included)

Doing those efforts in one quarter doesnt help you long term. We have to look to the future while we are young and change their defensive mindset and if we dont do it now then well will miss the boat while Boomer and Petrie are still around.

What did you think of Wells' defensive efforts after that? His desire to chase/tackle defensively? And do you not think he would be the first one to admit it was a pathetic effort? He clearly responded and stepped up. Yes - he had a pathetic game until then, without a doubt, but you can't fault the way he responded after that.

We've been put under the pump media wise about our on field leadership and he does that.......fooking mind blowing.
And embarrassing!!

Also got an email from him during the week saying to stick by the team and nobody is more gutted about the teams losses then the players themselves or something along those lines. Really hate those emails. Of course we'll stick by you guys and our club but stop writing and telling us and start showing us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did you think of Wells' defensive efforts after that? His desire to chase/tackle defensively? And do you not think he would be the first one to admit it was a pathetic effort? He clearly responded and stepped up. Yes - he had a pathetic game until then, without a doubt, but you can't fault the way he responded after that.
There is the problem though. Yes he responded well in the last quarter, but this is top level professional sport and turning it on for one quarter is not acceptable and I will not accept this low level of competitiveness. I am sure he did feel bad but its about improving. If you want to accept that sort of sh** then go barrack for Richmond.

How good are Boomers defensive efforts honestly? The game has somewhat changed significantly since Boomer, Wellsy and Drewey were drafted thanks to that nunskull that coaches Fremantle and that bigger numskull that coached Sydney Swans.

Boomer is and always will be a champion of this club, the crap from tags that he cops, most would have given it away long ago.

He's an enigma is Daniel. I often wonder when the papers do their "Greatest indigenous Players in History" etc pieces how much it actually bothers him that he's never in these lists. Doesn't ever even seem to get mentioned.
He could be a devastating player, but just kinda doesn't appear.......ah whatever.

The fact that he gave 2 piss weak defensive efforts in the last quarter after putting in a crap first three quarters epitomises the issues that we face as a club. I can understand the variations in form, but variations in effort? From one of our leaders??

F*** OFF!!

But he will never be dropped because we think we need him to win.

He's an enigma is Daniel. I often wonder when the papers do their "Greatest indigenous Players in History" etc pieces how much it actually bothers him that he's never in these lists. Doesn't ever even seem to get mentioned.
He could be a devastating player, but just kinda doesn't appear.......ah whatever.
Couldn't agree more. He would have to be the most frustrating player to ever play the game as far as I am concerned. He has more talent in his little finger that most blokes but only turns it on when Daniel "feels" like it.
I have been on his case for years and have copped plenty for it but he is a lazy lazy footballer who needs to have a GOOD HARD LOOK at himself

How good are Boomers defensive efforts honestly? The game has somewhat changed significantly since Boomer, Wellsy and Drewey were drafted thanks to that nunskull that coaches Fremantle and that bigger numskull that coached Sydney Swans.
Seriously???????????Boomer is 35years old give the bloke a break

Boomer's defensive efforts were very good tonight. He was as hard at it as anyone.

I think that Brad Scott doesn't have a shot at Wellsy because he is afraid he may hurt his feelings. :stern look

Seriously 14 touches is just rot. Yeah sure he pulled his finger out in the last but the last time I checked football was a 4 quarter game. :stern look

Remove this Banner Ad

Back