Retired #8: Jason Winderlich

Remove this Banner Ad

What if he injures himself in Perth? That's just a silly hypothetical. I just can't see him playing one VFL game after not playing all year and then travelling to Perth.
if he injures himself in Perth atleast we'd get something out of him , but we arent the club so i guess we'll have to findout through nextweek if he's in the senior side or not

Hird: "Hopefully we'll bring Licka in after the bye. He's a very important player for us."

Hirdy just said that in his Presser just now

Winderlich is less likely to get injured playing the lower intensity VFL and we can manage his minutes better in VFL given the afl result is more important than VFL. Hence why all things being well he will play 2-3 weeks of VFL and hopefully be available for selection in afl after the bye. That is a common sense approach.

Winderlich is less likely to get injured playing the lower intensity VFL and we can manage his minutes better in VFL given the afl result is more important than VFL. Hence why all things being well he will play 2-3 weeks of VFL and hopefully be available for selection in afl after the bye. That is a common sense approach.
We don't take too kindly to that around Bigfooty:cool:

I hope we bring him in this week. His class around the forward line has been sorely missed. Playing him at full forward would be a better option than Carlisle forward IMO

No. Give him a another week in the VFL to get his touch back and the bye to get his body right after a couple of games. He should be right to go against Hawthorn. But yes we are dying for his class and smarts in the forward line.

we are dying for his class and smarts in the forward line.

It's sad that a 30 year old with a body that has constantly failed him is still easily (in my opinion) our best forward. We have Daniher who will potentially be our best forward but is still a way off, but there's daylight between he and Winderlich as our best forward. Nobody else seems to be a beacon of hope for us forward of centre.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for Winderlich to return as he will make a massive difference in terms of his footy smarts and being able to instruct on the ground. It's just a depressing thought that we need him so much at his age and with his frail body.

Played half back in VFL.
Surely that's just while he's coming back, it's an easier position to play and allows you to get your hands on the ball more. He'd have to play forward when he plays in the seniors, surely.

Surely that's just while he's coming back, it's an easier position to play and allows you to get your hands on the ball more. He'd have to play forward when he plays in the seniors, surely.

Could be easier on his body playing hbf as you run more straight lines than you do playing forward. I'd suggest he will probably end up playing both roles like he did last year

Licka should play predominantly forward in the AFL. We need him there more than we need him off half back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch us play him on a back flank and then question why we don't kick any goals for halves of football.

Could be worthwhile chucking Joey on a back flank too.

poor guy has been through hell..... and i fear for his welfare in the future

"As soon as I got a sore back again I was like 'Geez, what have I done?'. That was the whole reason why I didn't really want to put my body through it again," Winderlich told SEN.
"I've had the two back operations when I was 22-23 and I know I'm always going to have a bad back for the rest of my life, but it was just quality of living.
"I actually injured my back again right around the time when we had our second daughter, so I could only stand up for two minutes and hold her before it felt like I was going to have a massive back spasm.
"So that was the thing that worried me the most, quality of living."
Back, knee and hamstring issues have restricted Winderlich to 128 senior games since he was drafted with pick 11 in 2002.
Three times during his career he's been told he would never play again, so when he felt soreness in his back during pre-season he tried to push through it – but then he ruptured a disc when running in for a shot at goal.
"I felt something let go in my lower back again, and within half-an-hour I couldn't walk properly and couldn't even drive my car home," he said.
In the past, he has struggled to put socks on his feet and he's felt "stabbing pain" in his back pushing the clutch down in his car.
"I get referred pain all the way down my left leg – I've had that for eight years," Winderlich said.
"I've got a straight leg raise, which is how they test your hammy, of about 30 degrees off the bench which 'Reidy' (club doctor Bruce Reid) always laughs about. He doesn't understand how I've been able to keep playing with that."
After his latest setback, Winderlich was forced to rest in bed at home for close to a month, but when the injury was slow to heal he made the tough call to go onto the long-term injury list.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-06-12/winderlich-admits-questioning-his-decision-to-play-on

best of luck on your return Jase! but dont push too far, you have to live life after this...

some of these guys bleed for us and we just fire barbs over the fence.

I really hope his career can end on something other than injuries. He just seems to be one of those cursed players. If he wasn't so talented he would have retired years ago with his injury run.

When he's out there he makes a really big difference. I know they will play him on the half back flank (which i'm not that keen on) but i am confident even down back he will make a fair difference and give us lots of rebound and attacking play that we've been lacking. Also with Fletcher out his leadership down back will be handy and may allow us to use Goddard in other roles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back