Mod. Notice A couple of changes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd only just gotten into the club too :( Back to Facebook statuses for me, I guess.

But I'm happy to see the change. Dylan knows my view on the recent quality of the board and hopefully this will get the right balance back.

I'd only just gotten into the club too :( Back to Facebook statuses for me, I guess.

But I'm happy to see the change. Dylan knows my view on the recent quality of the board and hopefully this will get the right balance back.
69 more likes St Mark. I can feel your desperation to get to that magical number grow.

I agree with everything except the closing of the RCT. It's really he only thread which I'm in touch with in this board. This could see the end of Gattsby on this board.

But it's up to the mods and I trust your judgement.

I've spoken extensively to Dylan about this already and I am fully supportive of everything that's going on. Closing the RCT is an extreme move but it's necessary.

As Dylan has touched on, the idea of a general thread to "keep off topic posting in one place" sounds good in theory, but in general it leads to trash posting. That trash posting then becomes the accepted standard and spreads throughout the board.

You can tell very quickly when you deal with an SFA or Bay 13 regular outside of those areas. The posting style is obvious.

That's probably happened a bit here with the RCT. Not to the level that it does with the SFA or the bay, but it's there.

We need to get back to the point where anyone with an interest in design can show up here and not be scared off by the young, boys club vibe.

Some off topic posting should be tolerated, but we don't want to see tangent after tangent. We want the discussion to focus on a topic.

If you have an off topic thing to post about, sometimes if it's particularly interesting it might be worth a thread. But that thread should be it. The topic shouldn't get out of control.

I agree with everything except the closing of the RCT. It's really he only thread which I'm in touch with in this board. This could see the end of Gattsby on this board.

But it's up to the mods and I trust your judgement.
Post in other threads, Gatts.

Post in other threads, Gatts.
I'm just not interested anymore.

Whilst I'm still passionate about footy graphic design, I don't have the time to enter competitions anymore. With this board comprising of way too many competitions, I can take a week off, come back and there's a new comp that I'm out of touch with. The comps are more or less all the same. It's bland. Same old. I just counted 13 threads for competitions on the first page of this board. If that isn't overkill then I'm out of touch.

There aren't many workshops, but the create a Guernsey thread is littered with a few posters just copying a few of us older poster's designs on a new template and not give any credit or reference. I can see when lmach 's designs have been copied, it's unique - his own style. If people lack creativity so much that they have to copy other's work and hope nobody notices, then I'm going to start calling people out on it. Again it's bland.

Discussion threads are probably the biggest issue. People with alternative views on graphic design often get canned by more than a few others for being different. I understand that some have views which differ from the mainstream opinions of those on this board, but what's the point in having a go at them about it..? It's killing creativity and scaring off potential new posters. I can deal with the toxic behaviour of a few, which isn't really an issue until it destroys meaningful threads, but it has been a cancer which has slowly spread.

At the moment, the board in general is bland, boring and something needs to be done. I'm glad Gibbsy and Dylan8 are taking some action.

This is my opinion, I'm happy to explain it further if need be.

I'm just not interested anymore.

Whilst I'm still passionate about footy graphic design, I don't have the time to enter competitions anymore. With this board comprising of way too many competitions, I can take a week off, come back and there's a new comp that I'm out of touch with. The comps are more or less all the same. It's bland. Same old. I just counted 13 threads for competitions on the first page of this board. If that isn't overkill then I'm out of touch.

There aren't many workshops, but the create a Guernsey thread is littered with a few posters just copying a few of us older poster's designs on a new template and not give any credit or reference. I can see when lmach 's designs have been copied, it's unique - his own style. If people lack creativity so much that they have to copy other's work and hope nobody notices, then I'm going to start calling people out on it. Again it's bland.

Discussion threads are probably the biggest issue. People with alternative views on graphic design often get canned by more than a few others for being different. I understand that some have views which differ from the mainstream opinions of those on this board, but what's the point in having a go at them about it..? It's killing creativity and scaring off potential new posters. I can deal with the toxic behaviour of a few, which isn't really an issue until it destroys meaningful threads, but it has been a cancer which has slowly spread.

At the moment, the board in general is bland, boring and something needs to be done. I'm glad Gibbsy and Dylan8 are taking some action.

This is my opinion, I'm happy to explain it further if need be.

As the board rights itself, you'll suddenly find a lot more places to post.

In terms of having alternative graphic design views, just post them. Who here is going to shout you down now?

Post them. A bit of interesting discussion about what is better than what is what this board should be about. There would be nothing worse than this forum being like the sportslogos forum where any design that wouldn't have fit right in in 1975 is a gobsmackingly awful break from tradition.

Post.

If you feel what the posters have come up with competitions and workshops is 'bland' then feel free to post your own. You've been around longer than me even, so you should be leading the pack and setting the standard, calling out bad posting and making interesting threads.

This goes for everybody. It's up to the whole to make this board a better experience for everyone, be it newcomers, lurkers or regulars.

As the board rights itself, you'll suddenly find a lot more places to post.

In terms of having alternative graphic design views, just post them. Who here is going to shout you down now?

Post them. A bit of interesting discussion about what is better than what is what this board should be about. There would be nothing worse than this forum being like the sportslogos forum where any design that wouldn't have fit right in in 1975 is a gobsmackingly awful break from tradition.

Post.
Yeah that's what I'm hoping for, looking forwards to it.

I've never had this issue, but I've witnessed it many times.

Yep, 100% agree.

If you feel what the posters have come up with competitions and workshops is 'bland' then feel free to post your own. You've been around longer than me even, so you should be leading the pack and setting the standard, calling out bad posting and making interesting threads.

This goes for everybody. It's up to the whole to make this board a better experience for everyone, be it newcomers, lurkers or regulars.
Yeah I wish I could but I simply don't have the time to run competitions, maintain a thread, finish a portfolio... It's a harsh reality. I agree, I have been here long enough and perhaps I should know better. One thing I pride myself on though is helping people who are new to the board - whether they're asking for help on where to go to find things or just want to know a few basic things, I'm very happy to put my hand up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the RCT was just getting tired and became too off-topic, and became sort of a "boys club", so from that perspective I can see why it's being closed.
I agree with the boys club bit.

There would be a time where I'd like to comment my thoughts on something in the RCT, be worried about the same for group of posters shutting me down, and therefore keeping my mouth shut.

That isn't too say the mentioned posters are bad people, they're more than few to disagree and offer points why they agree or disagree. But when it becomes a usual thing then like Gatsby said. Is very off-putting. Is one reason why I haven't been motivated to design anything as of late.

I'm glad the RCT and Haro are gone.

Suggest away, what's up?
I've got an idea for a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly workshop thing where a poster could host a tutorial on how to complete a specific skill in Photoshop/illustrator/whatever. This tutorial thread could- for instance focus on tricky stuff beginners don't get, or it could cover commonly asked things on the board. It would probably be hard what with many users not using Photoshop or illustrator, but I figured it could probably help develop some up and coming designers, thus improving posting quality. Could also be a gateway for existing BF members to join, rather than being chucked in the deep end.

Again just an idea. Probably needs tweaking. But I thought it was worth a mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back