A different take on things

Remove this Banner Ad

afc9798

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2002
To the Left of the Right
AFL Club
Adelaide
I ask myself, what did we expect from this season? The most optimistic of us thought that maybe a top 8 finish was not out of reach, but the overwhelming majority seemed to be of the opinion that we would be somewhere around 10-12.

Has a little bit of early success artificially raised our expectations? I think so. When you analyse the year so far, what have we really done to make us believe that we are better than 10-12 on the ladder?

1. We have beaten a Port Adelaide who were massively undermanned and suffering from one of the greatest premiership hangovers in recent memory.
2. We beat Collingwood, who are currently bottom of the ladder and now firming as spoon favourites.
3. We beat the Kangaroos in a game that was so ugly and devoid of skill that the Flagstaff Hill C grade could have been competitive.
4. We beat Sydney convincingly after an ugly struggle for 3 quarters.

I personally can't see anything other than signs of an inconsistent team that is in a rebuilding mode and doesn't have the right cattle for the job. We have been competitive, which means that the attitude and the mindset is OK, but we still lack in confidence and class. i think many have been hoodwinked by the fact that we have won a few games and also by the fact that we aren't getting caned each week.

I would go as far as to say that the Crows are 8 quality players short of a threatening team ATM and that we are lucky that the comp. is currently full of sides playing terrible, un-natural football. To be competitive we need:
1. A CHF who can at the very least pick up a ball on the ground and who knows how to direct the play. We don't need a genius, just a Mark Stevens type with a healthy body. Maybe Fergus, but who really knows?
2. A second wingman (to Reilly) that can deliver the ball inside 50 with a kick that doesn't go 40 metres in the air. We need a wingman who understands that a forward can mark a ball out in front if it is delivered toward his chest.
3. We need a second roving ruckman(to Hudson). Too much is being asked of Hudson and to expect him to deliver with only Biglands for support is not realistic. Meesen hopefully will deliver, but who knows?
4. Another onballer that is willing to get under and dish out the hard ball. Again too much is expected of too few and another Thommo must be a priority.

In addition to this we need replacements for Roo, Goody, Macca, Edwards and Hart in the near future. I guess this is a long winded way of saying, have we been sucked into believeing that we are better than we are and are we expecting far too much from quality of cattle we have. There have been only 3 great revelations- Thommo, Mattner and Rutten. Some sporadic surprises-Skipworth, Doughty and then the cupboard is bare.

I hope my reality check is proven wrong, but I think we are seeing an inconsistent season from a team that doesn't yet have the capability to deliver any more. Prepare to be frustrated.

four and four is a good spot to be in after eight rounds as our draw gets better as the season goes on.

I think we will be 5 and 5 with 12 to go wich should see us win at least six which means we are on the verge of a finals berth, which I thought impossible at the start of the year. Still can finish anywehre between 7th and 12th.

A long way to go.

afc9798 said:

Very well said.

After the Kangaroos game when we were filing out I overheard the woman in front of me say "... and really, who have the Kangaroos beaten?". I felt like tapping her on the shoulder and asking her the same thing in relation to us.

IIRC I had us pegged for 12th or 13th before the season started and after the initial rush of hope I stupidly felt after the first handful of games I reckon we're a lock for that sort of finish. At this point we're just lucky Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood have really hit the skids or the situation could be a lot worse.

afc9798 said:
2. A second wingman (to Reilly) that can deliver the ball inside 50 with a kick that doesn't go 40 metres in the air. We need a wingman who understands that a forward can mark a ball out in front if it is delivered toward his chest.

I hope my reality check is proven wrong, but I think we are seeing an inconsistent season from a team that doesn't yet have the capability to deliver any more. Prepare to be frustrated.

I agree with the the gist of your post AFC9798......nicely written...just 2 points...

I reckon we already have a second wingman...in fact he has shown more than Reilly this year...I think Marty Mattner breaks the lines with his running....haven't had that since (Simon Tregenza).....and is a deadly long kick.....(Weidemann). Unfortunately the only page Reilly is taking out of Trigger's book is the nine-iron kicking style.... :rolleyes: ...hopefully Reilly stops reading the Pre-Season press clippings he pasted on his ceiling ....and rolls his sleeves up.

As for the reality check......I would have taken 4/4 at the beginning of the year....that doesn't make losing any more tolerable ...especially in the manner in which we've lost with inept skills from the usual suspects. I think some critics of the Club, and the Team should take a deep breathe and remember how much work there is still to do....

Excellent post by afc9798. Most of us would have gladly taken a 4-4 start before the first bounce. And, furthermore, even if we lose to the Saints this week we are still a more than realistic chance of making the 8 (if you look carefully at the draw).

Interestingly, though, I think the reason why our team is still frustrating the ******** out of us (aside from our style of play), is our unpredictability.

By my reckoning, we've won 3 games I didn't expect us to win (Port, Swans & Collingwood - we lost as expected to Melbourne), and lost 3 games I expected us to win (West Coast, Bulldogs & Brisbane - we beat as expected the Roos).

Now, either I'm a bad judge (which is very likely!) or the AFC plays better when least expected. Lets hope this trend continues on Friday night!

Top post afc9798.

After a couple of big wins people get carried away a bit. From my perspective absolutely nothing has changed since the start of the season, except that we have a better win-loss ratio than I expected.

Still a lot of pain to experience and still a LONG way to go before we can say we are a genuine finalist.

All very good posts above.

You cannot question our effort and desire, very frustrated that yet again we are s|_|cking converting our entries into 50. We just didn't seem to have any space up forward against Brisbane and it seemed that NC did very little to free up space up there.

As DT said earlier , who have we beaten this year. At this stage with no dis respect to the teams we have beaten but no one special. If we had beaten the Roos away I would have said a very good win but the teams we have beaten are not setting the world on fire this season.

Positives for the season so far has been Hudson, Mattner and Thompson and suprisingly Skippy but the season is still young and it is one thing to play well for a few games and another to play well for the whole season.

Next question is do we realise that we are only making up the numbers and is it time to play some of the so called promising younger players at the risk of loosing games that we should/could win?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back