Difference between the atmosphere at a Port Power vs Pride of South Australias home games?

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean, it it possible people aren't satisfied with the same dead cat bounce beating bad teams routine they've pulled at the end of each season since 2020?
STO, what team has performed better against the top 4? (We ain’t talking beating up bad teams)

Look forward to your response mate

Fair point mate. But these variables are constants over the whole competition aren’t they? And crowds are doing well for many clubs. I had hoped and expected a bounce when our formline trended up like this year.

SA is the least advantaged mainland state from a financial perspective (lowest incomes, highest unemployment etc) which may explain part of it but the older generations (which I believe the crows are disproportionately represented by) are more immune to many of the structural household fiscal pressures being felt around the nation (as they generally have lower or no household debt, higher asset levels etc). It’s the “younger” demographics (20-50’s) that are loaded up with surging interest payments on massive mortgages or facing decade high increases in rents for those that can’t afford to purchase properties
In another thread I also speculated that an older crowd may still be hesitant to hang around crowded public transport and stadiums, due to covid-19. In addition (and I don't have the figures at hand - they're on Wikipedia) the Crows bandwagoner effect seems to lag. Our crowds seem to stick around after the team's fortunes start declining, and they seem to take a while to come back when the side starts doing well.

Thank you. I really would love to know the answers. It seems a bit pedantic but I feel like we have dropped the ball on some of the fan engagement. The club has made great progress in other areas but now it is time to improve this aspect. I know circumstances are completely different but scroll to 17 minutes in this video and remember how spine tingling this used to be. The music running up the race was more rousing, the banner was bigger, the club song was longer and louder, and the players ran out second to an electric atmosphere and then warmed up in front of the cheer squad. I reckon even with a 40,000 crowd we could still get close to replicating that atmosphere but at the moment there is nothing to entice fans to get to their seats early.

Jeez that was a great game to be at, the Sloane/Dangerfield bump was the icing.

Hope this hasn't been covered but haven't read the whole thread......on this theme of crowds, reckon a far more important questions is, why are our crowds constantly in the 35,000 range this year?
Food/drink cost and general cost of living struggles?
Never seen our crowds so low. Apart for the showdown which was 50,000.

Hope this hasn't been covered but haven't read the whole thread......on this theme of crowds, reckon a far more important questions is, why are our crowds constantly in the 35,000 range this year?
Poor timeslots and pricey when you have to consider the increase in cost of living

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much better is prime time might footy
Do we ever do this any more? I haven’t attended many night games in recent years in person. Looks awesome IMO but 5 years or so old.

These days clearly a lack of night home games but good to see the clubs already now lobbying AFL for better timeslots next year, more night games and marquee games. Less “satellite” games. Discussed all this with club mths ago and all very rational and logical progression of our teams success, attractiveness to watch and ability to match it with the big 4 teams (despite ridiculous ill-informed clerical level analysis contradicting this).

Last edited:
Do we ever do this any more? I haven’t attended many night games in recent years in person. Looks awesome IMO but 5 years or so old.

These days clearly a lack of night home games but good to see the clubs already now lobbying AFL for better timeslots next year, more night games and marquee games. Less “satellite” games. Discussed all this with club mths ago and all very rational and logical progression of our teams success, attractiveness to watch and ability to match it with the big 4 teams (despite ridiculous ill-informed clerical level analysis contradicting this).
no we dont but in that period its been a mix of covid and us being really bad.

Im not sure but feels like Port had a fair few this year?
Next year I think we should get a few more plus a few less off broadway grounds in our away trips and then its up to us to keep building. I cant see why we cant get a reasonable share if we become solidified top 8 team

The price of seated tickets is too much in my opinion. I've mentioned this a few times, but the southern stand is like $90 a ticket. My silver membership is a touch over $500 a year, which is about $45 a game for a better seat (in my opinion).

If every ticket was say $50, I reckon we'd crack 45k most weeks. My evidence for this is the hill is always full, as they're the cheapest tickets.

I actually think it's 11 game members who have paid for their tickets already that don't go, people are putting their own life first, play Football or Netball or umpire yourself or miss the game and sell your friends and teammates up the river to go watch professionals play instead.

I didn't go to the gold coast game and I'm a silver member because it was at a time slot that clashed with my own sport.

The price of seated tickets is too much in my opinion. I've mentioned this a few times, but the southern stand is like $90 a ticket. My silver membership is a touch over $500 a year, which is about $45 a game for a better seat (in my opinion).

If every ticket was say $50, I reckon we'd crack 45k most weeks. My evidence for this is the hill is always full, as they're the cheapest tickets.
I can't make heaps of games because of Daughter's sporting commitments. But if I go, I go to the hill. $90 is too much for a 1 off. Can't justify it with other commitments.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its remarkable isn't it. Could have knocked me down with a feather when I learnt the price of a good seat.

I actually think it's 11 game members who have paid for their tickets already that don't go, people are putting their own life first, play Football or Netball or umpire yourself or miss the game and sell your friends and teammates up the river to go watch professionals play instead.

I didn't go to the gold coast game and I'm a silver member because it was at a time slot that clashed with my own sport.

Adelaide Oval members stands are also half empty. Are they all in the bars or people choosing only to go to Crows or Port that maybe used to go to both

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Average is up 7.5k from last year
People stopped going due to covid, taking a while to get used to going again
People also stopped going because we were s**t, getting used to us being good again (at home anyway)
Cost of living

Remove this Banner Ad

Back