Preview Trial game - Crows V Port - 5pm Friday 23 Feb at Alberton Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, well in that case

homer simpson episode 6 GIF
4 weekends off.

While it’s really just a matter of opinions, I think Port has a strong case for being a benchmark:
  • Rozee and Butters, both chosen in the AA last year, and either could be potential Brownlow medallists in the next few years.
  • Horne-Francis, still learning his craft after only 2 seasons, but from what I’ve seen of him, it’s not too ridiculous to think he may well win a Brownlow if he keeps this trajectory.
  • Wines, a prior Brownlow medallist. Likely to be on the decline, but he’s still no slouch with the bullocking work
  • Drew not attacking as the others but probably one of the best taggers in the game, I really rate his defensive work with the tackling.

The fact we can match it with Port’s mids in the recent trial match is a good sign of our improving midfield.
Proceed with caution my friend. I was glowing of Port’s midfield a few years ago and this board assumed I had to be a Port fan.

One of the problems with understanding key forward play is that most people significantly overestimate how many contested marks a good key forward takes.

Having said that, I don't want us trying to turn Thithorpe into the Kurt Tippett 'sit under the ball and try to outmark it when we bomb in' guy. He should be more Nick Reiwoldt- put someone on him big enough to stop him and they can't keep up, put someone who can keep up and he'll monster them. He's too good to abuse by just having him constantly crashed by defenders.
Agree with this. RT has such great speed and endurance which he should be using to his advantage. He is such a threat when leading up the wings and provides a great avenue when we are coming out of defence. I don't want him confined only to the forward 50. Let him roam up the ground and run his defender into the ground.

Powa deliberately taking the pi$$ on their official website match report? Or just typical Alberton IQ levels perhaps.

A couple of late goals to Ned McHenry and Josh Rechelle had the Crows back to within ten points at the second break.

The sides continued to trade goals, including a second for Burton from an identical position 55 metres out and a neat set shot by Jeremy Finlayson getting his first minutes of the pre-season after missing the intra club a week earlier with shin soreness.

A controversial late goal to Izaak Rankine,

Bit of passion from Brodie Smith

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure why they’d accuse me either.
That’s the nature of online, haters will say and accuse you of whatever. Sometimes they use dislikes and laughing emojis too.
Their posts will be a tangent to whatever you say, because they frankly won’t care what you say but interested in stirring drama. That’s my pro-tip on this forum. :)

There is no doubt SPP lined him up for the bump.

But the bump was made more severe with Rioli's sling tackle.

If SPP didn't bump Keane, Rioli would be looking at 3 to 4 weeks.

And yet, no free kick for either action.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
To be fair to Rioli, we don't know what he was going to do. Yes, he was slinging Keane to one side, but then SPP poleaxed Keane and basically knocked both players to the ground.

It does seem likely Rioli was trying to bring Keane to ground, and yes, that may have resulted in a sling tackle. Given Keane is a much taller player, it was foolhardy of Rioli to try to bring him to ground that way, because it certainly did risk being a sling tackle.

I've always said - best tackle technique is to wrap your arms around the player and drop your knees - try to bring him straight down. I think some players go the sling because they don't want to allow the other player - if they're strong enough - to stand in the tackle. But too bad, I guess; if the other player is a Crouch or Dangerfield, you don't get to negate their strength by slinging them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the problems with understanding key forward play is that most people significantly overestimate how many contested marks a good key forward takes.

Having said that, I don't want us trying to turn Thithorpe into the Kurt Tippett 'sit under the ball and try to outmark it when we bomb in' guy. He should be more Nick Reiwoldt- put someone on him big enough to stop him and they can't keep up, put someone who can keep up and he'll monster them. He's too good to abuse by just having him constantly crashed by defenders.

You've summed up my thoughts on him perfectly.

RT has so much more to offer than just stand under a pack and get absolutely crunches. The guy has a ton of skill and agility, let's play to his strengths.

Disagree. Keane had both his arms free and was spinning himself. Hard to tell what would have happened.

SPP had other options and chose to lean his shoulder in.
Even with Keane getting turned in the tackle, SPP still launched himself into the contest. He had full intention to hit him, it probably just changed where he connected due to him being turned. He wasn't trying to tackle his intentions was to bump.

Once he made the decision to bump he then has to face the consequences of the outcome, even if it wasn't his intentions to hit him how he did.

Even with Keane getting turned in the tackle, SPP still launched himself into the contest. He had full intention to hit him, it probably just changed where he connected due to him being turned. He wasn't trying to tackle his intentions was to bump.

Once he made the decision to bump he then has to face the consequences of the outcome, even if it wasn't his intentions to hit him how he did.
so what has actually happened with Foul -Pepper - has there been a ruling yet?

I ventured down to the PRPP* on Friday. After reading this thread I thought that I must have gone to the wrong match but after watching the Kayo propaganda replay, my impressions were unchanged.

1) Those (like me) hoping the Pear will plummet down the ladder are likely to be very disappointed.

2) The wind was tricky and I thought the pressure and overall standard was pretty good for a Scratchie.

3) Rob had the better of the new Ruck Dream Team. Soldo showed why a premiership ruckman was running around in the Twos last year. Sweet looked more promising but I don’t expect him to be dominant around the ground.

4) The Pear midfielders are seriously good and dominated in patches but our midfield is improving and also had periods of domination. Yes, Rankine can be a game changing midfielder

5) Our tall forwards looked too classy for the latest Pear missing pieces in defence.

6) Our defence looked shaky, particularly after Keane went down, but our talls held their own against Dixon, Finlayson and Lord.

7) Contrary to some views, I thought Chayce looked better than expected returning from a serious injury.

8) Amongst our fringe players; Sholl, Borlase, Burgess, McHenry, Berry, Dowling, Taylor and Nankervis had some good moments. Hamill, Parnell, Himmelberg, Cook and Gollant didn’t press their claim for a spot.

9) Unlike some poster, I am unwilling to judge the new lads based on a suburban oval Scratchie. I have not written off Curtin and even Edwards for Round 1.

*Peoples Republic of Poort Pear

There is one thing you don’t want to do early in any season - get reported.

The AFL likes to throw the book at you just like with McAdam last year even though the opposition player didn’t get concussed. And as the season progresses the penalties become less (ala Maynard).

I don’t think we won those 2 games from necessarily the better midfield, but more likely from a stronger forward threat, and our defenders had matched well with their forwards.
Maybe the first game but in the second game we had them well and truly covered all over the ground.

Maybe the first game but in the second game we had them well and truly covered all over the ground.
I honestly can’t remember the games in detail now. Overall it’s fair to say our forwards were dominant in 2023, except with some games of poor kicking. Our defense was quite sound, and I reckon our midfield was the weaker link. That’s just a gut feel reflection. This year I reckon our kids will do better in the midfield which will hopefully push us along the ladder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back