Preview Trial game - Crows V Port - 5pm Friday 23 Feb at Alberton Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

If Butters and Horne Francis remain fit for most of the season, I can see Port doing pretty well. Should make the 8, and could even go top 4. They do have some pretty reasonable depth elsewhere also. I wouldn't mind a utility like Houston on a flank or wing for us.

I also think some people don't understand what a contested mark is

It doesn't have to be a huge pack crashing Jonathan Brown mark over 10 defenders. Winning a 1-on-1 then taking the mark is all it takes

And yet 2 a game is still league elite territory as a kpf

One of the problems with understanding key forward play is that most people significantly overestimate how many contested marks a good key forward takes.

Having said that, I don't want us trying to turn Thithorpe into the Kurt Tippett 'sit under the ball and try to outmark it when we bomb in' guy. He should be more Nick Reiwoldt- put someone on him big enough to stop him and they can't keep up, put someone who can keep up and he'll monster them. He's too good to abuse by just having him constantly crashed by defenders.
Buddy Franklin type as well?

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d have Brisbane, GWS, Melbourne (even without Brayshaw) and Collingwood ahead of Ports mids.

And Carlton and Bulldogs have a right to stake a top 4 claim too.

Ports midfield is good but it’s not out of the box elite that it can cover for an average forward and Defence line.

They also rely far too much on Butters and Rozee. Every single play runs through them (and Houston at times). I’d expect clubs to be better prepared this year after Butters break out year especially.
While it’s really just a matter of opinions, I think Port has a strong case for being a benchmark:
  • Rozee and Butters, both chosen in the AA last year, and either could be potential Brownlow medallists in the next few years.
  • Horne-Francis, still learning his craft after only 2 seasons, but from what I’ve seen of him, it’s not too ridiculous to think he may well win a Brownlow if he keeps this trajectory.
  • Wines, a prior Brownlow medallist. Likely to be on the decline, but he’s still no slouch with the bullocking work
  • Drew not attacking as the others but probably one of the best taggers in the game, I really rate his defensive work with the tackling.

The fact we can match it with Port’s mids in the recent trial match is a good sign of our improving midfield.

There is no doubt SPP lined him up for the bump.

But the bump was made more severe with Rioli's sling tackle.

If SPP didn't bump Keane, Rioli would be looking at 3 to 4 weeks.

And yet, no free kick for either action.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Disagree. Keane had both his arms free and was spinning himself. Hard to tell what would have happened.

SPP had other options and chose to lean his shoulder in.

I’d have Brisbane, GWS, Melbourne (even without Brayshaw) and Collingwood ahead of Ports mids.

And Carlton and Bulldogs have a right to stake a top 4 claim too.

Ports midfield is good but it’s not out of the box elite that it can cover for an average forward and Defence line.

They also rely far too much on Butters and Rozee. Every single play runs through them (and Houston at times). I’d expect clubs to be better prepared this year after Butters break out year especially.
Both butters and Rozee still not at their peak last year remember. Look at butters on the weekend. He's a freak who almost just does whatever he likes.

I'm confident they will have the best midfield in the comp by the end of the year with Horne's improvement. That's a midfield we can only dream of having.

Both butters and Rozee still not at their peak last year remember. Look at butters on the weekend. He's a freak who almost just does whatever he likes.

I'm confident they will have the best midfield in the comp by the end of the year with Horne's improvement. That's a midfield we can only dream of having.

This is underrating their 2023. Butters was already playing like that last year.

Butters already was clearly BOG in many games, Rozee not far behind. Both were All-Australian.

How much better do you expect them to get?

And yet our midfield will beat their midfield when we play them this year, just like we did last year? Yes?

And yet our midfield will beat their midfield when we play them this year, just like we did last year? Yes?
I don’t think we won those 2 games from necessarily the better midfield, but more likely from a stronger forward threat, and our defenders had matched well with their forwards.

Butters was awesome last season.

For much of it he was one of the best players in the competition.

Imo, we have more midfield depth.

Given our respective forward lines, we just need similar forward entries & we should score more.

This is underrating their 2023. Butters was already playing like that last year.

Butters already was clearly BOG in many games, Rozee not far behind. Both were All-Australian.

How much better do you expect them to get?
Probably not much better, relatively speaking. But we gotta look at how long they both can sustain their peak, and at this stage, it could easily be the next 5 years or more.

Apparently SPP has said he got it wrong (obvious)

Oh, well in that case

homer simpson episode 6 GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back