Difference between the atmosphere at a Port Power vs Pride of South Australias home games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Was the lack of sales reported Thursday night a media beat up

Or 10,000 or so people bought tickets Friday/Saturday.

I suspect the sales weren't that bad, and the AFL put out an edict to C7 to boost ticket sales Thursday night to get a couple thousand more. And let people know it is not a sell out.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I was there.

I was gobsmacked there were 45K+ when it was announced at the oval.

I guesstimated around 37K and I always get pretty close estimating AO crowd sizes. Where I was sitting in the eastern stand there were spare seats everywhere. Looking over to the members there were also spare seats all over.

I really think they were all out the back in their resurrected China tents.

Which would be the same for every game
Since Port games usually get lower numbers they actually hire fewer staff on those days. This reduction in Oval staff however is quite accurately offset by the amount of parole officers in attendance so the number would indeed remain much the same.

Since Port games usually get lower numbers they actually hire fewer staff on those days. This reduction in Oval staff however is quite accurately offset by the amount of parole officers in attendance so the number would indeed remain much the same.
The difference can be seen if you count families,
The crows have an average of 30000 families that go, port 3

I'm calling it the Steven Trigg Curse

Ever since he said Port were embarrassing the league it's been nothing but disaster

I actually think the year he said, the Tippett saga happened (don't fact check that, can't have a curse without dubious claims)
It's the Modra curse for me. 4 prelim final losses and 1 grand final loss since booting him.

Any Crom fan that thinks our home game experience is better than theirs is kidding themselves.

You can hear a pin drop for the first five minutes at our games. This will change when the apricot slice brigade move on.
I agree. Our pregame and match day experience is horrid. They keep promising something new and better but the same old routine gets rolled out each year. There is so much we could do but don't and it's a real shame.

I agree. Our pregame and match day experience is horrid. They keep promising something new and better but the same old routine gets rolled out each year. There is so much we could do but don't and it's a real shame.

What’s wrong with going to watch a game of footy?

I posted somewhere else that screeching banshee on the mike is horrid - who is she and why is she employed??

the infamous goal umpire game I was shocked by how quiet our crowd were but we were playing like poo until the last quarter

I was there.

I was gobsmacked there were 45K+ when it was announced at the oval.

I guesstimated around 37K and I always get pretty close estimating AO crowd sizes. Where I was sitting in the eastern stand there were spare seats everywhere. Looking over to the members there were also spare seats all over.

I really think they were all out the back in their resurrected China tents.

Especially when Ticketek were sending out messages for $50 family tickets to the game.

One of the few things the power did well 10 years back was rebrand themselves. Rather than harping on their successful magpie "history" in the SANFL they acted like the underdogs, the upstarts, the young and fresh working class against the old and stale chardonnay set. It appealed to younger fans who weren't there for, or don't know about, the backstabbing port adelaide who tried to shaft the SANFL and the SA clubs to jump ship to the VFL in the '90's. They also appealed to a lot of, weirdly enough, migrants from the UK.

I'm thinking that these fans from 10 years ago are now smart enough to see they've been played, that the port football club is just more of the same commercial tripe, and that the kool aid doesn't taste that good anymore. Now the branding is hurting them. A look at their boards will tell you how well "never tear us apart" is holding up. A team that "exists to win premierships", but can't even win finals, probably shouldn't exist.

Meanwhile, the Crows keep being the Crows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve been to my share of both Adelaide and power AFL games at AO. Always noticed that the power crowd seems to be louder, so one day I decided to watch the crowd and see why.

It didn’t take me long to see the answer. As the power players were running out, my attention was drawn to this middle aged power fan. You could probably picture him - bald head, grey goatee wearing a prison bar guernsey.

As the team ran out, he wasn’t watching them, he wasn’t clapping but he was just yelling. One long continual yell and when he’d run out of breath, he’d just yell again. Totally nonsensical, loud yelling of just “AAAAAAHHHHHHH”. I just don’t think you see that at Adelaide games bar maybe a hanger or miraculous goal.

Nothing. But the post was about the difference in atmosphere, and that's the post I was replying too.
The amazing part (aside from caring) is people thinking it's any different.

Apart from NTUA (which is lame) it's basically the same s**t.

The ground announcers talk some s**t, the players run out, the game starts.

The amazing part (aside from caring) is people thinking it's any different.

Apart from NTUA (which is lame) it's basically the same s**t.

The ground announcers talk some s**t, the players run out, the game starts.

Why can’t we get Cornes handing a ball to Trigg before every game. Nothing can beat that for meaning and/or sheer entertainment value. Crying was I.

I’ve been to my share of both Adelaide and power AFL games at AO. Always noticed that the power crowd seems to be louder, so one day I decided to watch the crowd and see why.

It didn’t take me long to see the answer. As the power players were running out, my attention was drawn to this middle aged power fan. You could probably picture him - bald head, grey goatee wearing a prison bar guernsey.

As the team ran out, he wasn’t watching them, he wasn’t clapping but he was just yelling. One long continual yell and when he’d run out of breath, he’d just yell again. Totally nonsensical, loud yelling of just “AAAAAAHHHHHHH”. I just don’t think you see that at Adelaide games bar maybe a hanger or miraculous goal.
Was there drool coming out of the side of his mouth?

Our match day experience improved this year dramatically because we started winning.

Has anyone actually encountered someone who doesn't attend our games because of the pie promotion or other similar reasons? Or someone that would start if we had a singalong?

They stopped doing that years ago.

afltables used to get the official totals (which was always 1000 or so less as you say) but after getting called out on it, the sma fixed that.
I work at Adelaide Oval and staff told me it was still happening. Perhaps they are wrong.

I go to watch the footy. Couldn't give a toss what happens before the game. The biggest negative for me is the insane noise level before the game and the sheilas screaming into microphones in the breaks.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back