A-League Men Round 5 - The Melbourne Derby!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great Atmosphere at the Derby tonight from both sets of fans! A great advertisement for the game. Hopefully it might bring some of those lost fans back. I always thought that the one thing the A-league can differentiate from the other codes is the atmosphere at matches to suck the fans in just like it did in the early days. The football can than take care of itself! Steps are being made in the right direction.

Great Atmosphere at the Derby tonight from both sets of fans! A great advertisement for the game. Hopefully it might bring some of those lost fans back. I always thought that the one thing the A-league can differentiate from the other codes is the atmosphere at matches to suck the fans in just like it did in the early days. The football can than take care of itself! Steps are being made in the right direction.

They botched the ticketing massively. Myself x 3 & at least 10 other Victory fans I know personally didnt go because when trying to buy tickets without a City supporters code only platinum tickets were available to purchase ($90 ea). Would have got tickets if $27 catergory was available.

The MVFC allocation was exhausted mid week and obviously not big enough.

There must have been thousands of Victory fans trying to get $27 tickets in the same boat.

They botched the ticketing massively. Myself x 3 & at least 10 other Victory fans I know personally didnt go because when trying to buy tickets without a City supporters code only platinum tickets were available to purchase ($90 ea). Would have got tickets if $27 catergory was available.

The MVFC allocation was exhausted mid week and obviously not big enough.

There must have been thousands of Victory fans trying to get $27 tickets in the same boat.

That's a pity! Yet at the ground both top deck stands on the wings were half full! and City couldn't even fill their active end.

That's a pity! Yet at the ground both top deck stands on the wings were half full! and City couldn't even fill their active end.

$27 tickets were not available to the general punlic; guess they were reserved for City members. Should have been ticketed for City members and open up the whole ground for anyone to buy tickets.

I reckon it's cost up to 5k in ticket sales. What's with the low Victory allocation? Exhausted mid week.

$27 tickets were not available to the general punlic; guess they were reserved for City members. Should have been ticketed for City members and open up the whole ground for anyone to buy tickets.

I reckon it's cost up to 5k in ticket sales. What's with the low Victory allocation? Exhausted mid week.

City/Heart have always done this to every Christmas derby. They give Victory fans the smallest of allocated general admissions seats so as not to look outnumbered but it never stops the noise and atmosphere we create! Our allocation and active support last night was full the whole north terrace was rocking! yet they couldn't even fill their end for a home game kinda pathetic being champions and all.

If you're puzzled by crowd sizes, take a look at the cricket. Ashes tests that are barely half full on days you'd expect close to a full house.

The pandemic has throttled live sport and attendance.

Thankfully for the league, it's fortunes aren't directly tied to crowd numbers for it's viability

Can't see any wanderers games as being winnable. Adelaide, Perth and maybe nix are the only chances you would give them. I think they may stick unless they can find a good replacement, or think of whether one of the assistants has the capability.

Feb may be the month if it goes down hill.

Newcastle are playing scintillating football, great to watch.

Carl Robinson has to go now, how can you butcher so many once good a league stars.

Nah let him stay on, the rest of the league are enjoying The current malaise of the Wanderers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

out of line with that comparison, think before you post next time
They cant outnumber Victory at a Christmas derby after winning 14-1 on aggregate last season and winning the title.

Time for them to build the Dandenong Team 11 stadium and become a Sth East Melbourne team exclusively. Not working for them as a Victory alternative.

Get over yourself ya Vic-T**d nuffies.

The Tailban outweigh the current number of decent law Abiding citizens in the Afghan Govt , doesn't mean the Tailban are the right people to sign up for does it?

Get over yourself ya Vic-T**d nuffies.

The Tailban outweigh the current number of decent law Abiding citizens in the Afghan Govt , doesn't mean the Tailban are the right people to sign up for does it?

What a bizarre analogy. I want a second team to thrive in Melbourne. But when you cant get more into a christmas derby after smashing Victory 14-1 on aggregate last season and winning the title something isnt working.

I believe City committing to Sth East Melbourne will be better for the future of the club and the future of the sport in general. Build the stadium in Dandenong T11 proposed and go hard at engaging the Sth East Melbourne footballing community which is huge.

City for SE. Victory for Central / Eastern Suburbs. WU for western / north western suburbs / Geelong / Ballarat. Stick to that for 10 years and I believe we will end up with 3 defined and committed fanbases.

Right now all Melbourbe City can offer football fans is "not being Victory". It isnt working and IMO it never will work.

Aplogies if this opinion offends you.

Oh good. Another injury.
You just need a home game tbf. BS travel rules
That they do.

But, would it help Hooper going back to the UK for personal reasons, Piscopo seriously out of form, a captain that doesn't feel like a captain, or all our star players leaving to go to the other NSW clubs, though? Maybe heading back to NZ will fix all that when Ufuk Talay can actually have an unaffected season and morale is high, but it looks pretty dire at this point. Reinforcements/retaining players will be much more handy at this point 😕

What a bizarre analogy. I want a second team to thrive in Melbourne. But when you cant get more into a christmas derby after smashing Victory 14-1 on aggregate last season and winning the title something isnt working.

I believe City committing to Sth East Melbourne will be better for the future of the club and the future of the sport in general. Build the stadium in Dandenong T11 proposed and go hard at engaging the Sth East Melbourne footballing community which is huge.

City for SE. Victory for Central / Eastern Suburbs. WU for western / north western suburbs / Geelong / Ballarat. Stick to that for 10 years and I believe we will end up with 3 defined and committed fanbases.

Right now all Melbourbe City can offer football fans is "not being Victory". It isnt working and IMO it never will work.

Aplogies if this opinion offends you.

It doesn't but by the same token, i do not believe for a second, Melbourne (unlike Sydney) doesn't not have enough a Geo, or political demographic interest base to have another A League (mens) team that will pull the well established numbers of fans and supporters that Victory has.

This is mostly an AFL and Cricket domininated town, in fact, I don't think Western United will be in the A League for the long haul either.

This is why Melbourne will never host say a World Cup Final (mens) if it was hosted here.

It doesn't but by the same token, i do not believe for a second, Melbourne (unlike Sydney) doesn't not have enough a Geo, or political demographic interest base to have another A League (mens) team that will pull the well established numbers of fans and supporters that Victory has.

This is mostly an AFL and Cricket domininated town, in fact, I don't think Western United will be in the A League for the long haul either.

This is why Melbourne will never host say a World Cup Final (mens) if it was hosted here.

The grassroots game alone can support 3 teams. It will happen long term IMO, just need to really define City for it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back