A-League R8: Melbourne Victory v Sydney FC Match Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

JF_Bay_22_SCG said:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/03/03/1046540133088.html

Melbourne, so good that a big global sport like rugby union would not touch it with a barge pole.

"sporting capital" my arse.

JF

The fact that the people of Melbourne weren't prepared to get behind the new Rugby team would suggest that we have good taste.

BTW, do you usually use articles that are 30 months old to support your arguments?

JF_Bay_22_SCG said:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/03/03/1046540133088.html

Melbourne, so good that a big global sport like rugby union would not touch it with a barge pole.

"sporting capital" my arse.

JF

You mention this in response to my reference about the liveable city rankings ...why? We don't have many polar bears either, but like caring about rugby union, i don't think thats very relevent to the quality of the city.

The whole sporting capital thing is just hype rubbish that officials like to use for whatever benefit they see in it. Bit like dubbing yourself the glamour club...

Ofcourse if you did want to set some sort of criteria to work out a sporting capital, Melbourne would be right up there with the best in the world. For its population the number of massively supported sporting events is amazing.

Well, of course, we can't compete with all of Sydney's hugely attented and world-recognised annual sporting events, such as... Oooh, and there's... and... wait a minute, I'm sure I'll get one...

Oh yeah! You've got that A1GP thing coming up. Or is it gone already? It's not like anyone ever heard of it.

DO me a favour champ, hold over your reply until Sydney Cup day. Wait, does anyone even know when that is? Guess all the big international stables are too busy in the town that you think "big" international "sports" like Rugby Union rejected (y'know, rather than the other way around...)

Ahh, Sydneysiders. Legends in their own lunchboxes, each and every one of 'em.

Whomever it was that said: arguing on the internet is like being in the special olympics....even if you win you're still *ed! could have had this little p|ssing contest between the "whore that is Sydney" and the "dowdy old bat known as Melbourne" in mind. :D

Ray Nolan said:
This thread is like watching 2 Lepers argue about which is the most diseased! :p :D

You're just jealous ye olde Adelaide is not included in this discussion.

Adelaide: home of the world's worst named sporting team (try and guess which one)

Still Crowing said:
Whomever it was that said: arguing on the internet is like being in the special olympics....even if you win you're still *ed! could have had this little p|ssing contest between the "whore that is Sydney" and the "dowdy old bat known as Melbourne" in mind. :D

Melbourne is Caroline Wilson. Sydney is Rebecca Wilson.

And that is said as a Sydneysider.

JF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matt_TY said:
Well, of course, we can't compete with all of Sydney's hugely attented and world-recognised annual sporting events, such as... Oooh, and there's... and... wait a minute, I'm sure I'll get one...

Oh yeah! You've got that A1GP thing coming up. Or is it gone already? It's not like anyone ever heard of it.

DO me a favour champ, hold over your reply until Sydney Cup day. Wait, does anyone even know when that is? Guess all the big international stables are too busy in the town that you think "big" international "sports" like Rugby Union rejected (y'know, rather than the other way around...)

Ahh, Sydneysiders. Legends in their own lunchboxes, each and every one of 'em.

Ever heard of the Olympics? WCQ? Rugby WC?

Give me a break. Melbourne is a ********hole

realfootball said:

A one off event, an event being staged in Sydney because the MCG is being kitted out for the Connonmelf Gains and a one off even for a sport with little support in Melbourne. Woo!

realfootball said:

Boy, you Sydneysiders are slow... is it something in the water?

I said _annual_ sporing events. You host the Olympics every year do you? Ever hear of the Formula 1 GP? Australian Open tennis? Melbourne Cup?

But anyway, to answer your "arguments":

the Olympics?
*yawn* Been there, done that.

Ditto.

Rugby WC?

I do seem to recall we held some of those matches as well, correct me if I'm wrong. As a secondary argument, the simple fact is that the vast majority of Melbournians couldn't give a crap if we were passed over for Thugby matches in favour of Broken Hill North. Because, as someone else said, we don't give a crap about your laughable excuse for a "sport".

Which consistently finishes higher in World's Most Liveable City rankings than Sydney.

Matt_TY said:
Boy, you Sydneysiders are slow... is it something in the water?

I said _annual_ sporing events. You host the Olympics every year do you? Ever hear of the Formula 1 GP? Australian Open tennis? Melbourne Cup?

But anyway, to answer your "arguments":

*yawn* Been there, done that.

Ditto.

I do seem to recall we held some of those matches as well, correct me if I'm wrong. As a secondary argument, the simple fact is that the vast majority of Melbournians couldn't give a crap if we were passed over for Thugby matches in favour of Broken Hill North. Because, as someone else said, we don't give a crap about your laughable excuse for a "sport".

Which consistently finishes higher in World's Most Liveable City rankings than Sydney.

Mate, a 1950's olympics really counts doesn't it. The Sydney olympics, by a number of sources was regarded as the best ever
Melbourne may not care abt the rugby, but a friggin heck of the world does. Maybe that's melbournes insular problem. The fact that no-one in the world gives a toss abt AFL, when they believe it should. At least in Sydney we give all sports (particulalry ALL the footballs, a even share, and a fair go)
Couldn't care less about your livable city rankings. Melbourne still is a ********hole. No beaches, ******** weather, no real harbour. Thats why your lot continue to flock north.

moistie said:
A one off event, an event being staged in Sydney because the MCG is being kitted out for the Connonmelf Gains and a one off even for a sport with little support in Melbourne. Woo!

And that's EXACTLY melbournes problem

Remove this Banner Ad

Back