Recommitted Aaron Naughton [re-signed for EIGHT years!]

Remove this Banner Ad

He won't need to win a Coleman, settle into 50 goals or so with the same pressure he has now, Jamarra gets to 50+ as well, Weightman 35 etc...
This is very true, JUH looks the best forward there. If you can even get 40 from Naughton and 50 from JUH you are doing bloody well. Weightman easily capable of 30+, plays 10cm taller than he is.

Imagine if Darcy comes on and plays forward, if not - Lobb should be fine for 25 as a ruck forward. I’d take 25 from TDK.

I thought this contract was bad at first but your simple post has turned me.

Can't see the issue. This guy is a gun and will only get better. Pity about his coach.
I wish he was at the Pies.
Agreed. Wish he was at the Hawks. Even if things go insanely bad somehow and he can't get his kicking right he will always be an elite KPD. You really can't go wrong with him.

Lol the 2.5 tackles are important why?

Here's a better one, players to average over 2 goals per game

View attachment 1822826

That's a lot of forwards ahead of him.

What is his other issue? He has the worst goal kicking conversion of the top 30 average goal kickers this season.

He's never winning a Coleman as a 50% goal kicking converter. His problem is he also has 2 sub 50% conversion seasons in the last 4 years, which is absolute shite.

He's a defender being played out of position imo.
Only Ben King is younger on that list, and Naughton takes 50% more contested marks per game. He also plays further away from the goals.

So he can play both forward and defense. Can't say any of the others on that list can.

Naughton had a terrible year this year he still kicked 44 goals in a side whose midfield was abysmal bar Bont. He's worth every cent, every other club would pay more on an open market. Sure Dogs fans would love him kicking 80...but Charlie Curnow wouldn't have kicked 50 in that Dogs side this year sorry to be blunt but tactically they were dreadful all year. You have to assume the coach is on his last chance saloon and might use his forwards better next year
That is all very well put, imagine he played for Collingwood and the style they played, he would have won the Coleman easy

Sensational signing by the Doggies. The whole world was after Naughts. 23yo star KPF.

He is real deal stuff. Star in his own right, and was sensational this year in sacrificing to allow his 10yr partner JUH to flourish.

Dominant star. And Team man.
Well said and thought

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he'll always be a good KPF personally but doesnt have the tools (disposal, goal kicking) to get up to 60+ goals consistently (will do it once or twice maybe). The tackling and pressure he brings is a nice bonus though.

These contract are getting out of hand though. I guess clubs have just decided they value the "security" of locking in players at a likely discounted price while gambling they can recover if they need to dump them

I think he'll always be a good KPF personally but doesnt have the tools (disposal, goal kicking) to get up to 60+ goals consistently (will do it once or twice maybe). The tackling and pressure he brings is a nice bonus though.

These contract are getting out of hand though. I guess clubs have just decided they value the "security" of locking in players at a likely discounted price while gambling they can recover if they need to dump them
I think at his best he can be similar to Tom Hawkins but not quite as good,

He will pepper the 50-60 goal range most years but with Marra and Weightman he doesn't need to be going that much more as long as they are producing as well (Similar to Cameron and Stengle last year)

Now will they all be able to get to that level who knows but they all have similar characteristics and ability to do so

Not in love with the contract but that’s just the market at the moment. Locking in a walk up 40+ goal a year key forward with elite hands is not a bad thing. They would be hoping he has more scope for improvement but just as the player he is at the moment isn’t a bad result.

Explain what you mean by being inconsistent
inconsistent is probably the wrong word tbf

I really like Naughton as a player, just 10 years is madness. Tbf 10 years for any player is madness (even if it worked out well for Buddy & Sydney)

inconsistent is probably the wrong word tbf

I really like Naughton as a player, just 10 years is madness. Tbf 10 years for any player is madness (even if it worked out well for Buddy & Sydney)
I think for a tiny fraction of players you can comfortably do 8+ years. Guys like daicos, king, Walsh.

The fear of a career ending injury looms perennially though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back