Recommitted Aaron Naughton [re-signed for EIGHT years!]

Remove this Banner Ad

Players that averaged over 1.9 goals and 2.5 tackles this season:

Toby Greene
Charlie Cameron
Aaron Naughton

Naughton did it while averaging 1.8 contested marks. He’s pretty unique for a key forward and does a tonne of defensive work in our forward line. I’d love if he kicked 60 every year but he’s already pretty bloody good and critical to our team beyond the 45-50 goals he’s averaged the past 3 years.

Naughton is not currently delivering what would be worth that type of contract. No way.

It's the exact same premise for Essendon signing McKay at 775k over 5 years. He is not worth it based on what he has delivered to date, but we pay for the potential (and risk) that he can get better and deliver in the future. Thats the market.

The market is red hot for Key Defenders and Key Forwards, so you overpay to secure.
Naughton is more than just a key forward now.

He's a leader at the club, and is apparently looked at as the next captain, although given Bont's standing, it could be a while before he takes the reins.

Guys like JUH look up to him. He's something of a role model, which is great for club culture.

I'd say his signature on a long term deal will be influential among the playing group going forward.

What is leadership quality worth to any - every - club?

Plenty.

Naughton will probably never be a 70 goal a year guy. He has to share the forwardline with JUH and he's just not accurate enough in front of goals for that sort of tally.

What he does do already is provide great pressure when the ball hits the deck and can pull a bullshit contested grab out of his arse from a dodgy forward entry once or twice a game. That's where his value lies. He's very rarely outright beaten one on one.

Tom Morris saying the Swans offered a 10 year deal over $11M
With the CBA that's pretty close to his current salary + proportionate increase.

We'll have a few players across the comp in the $1m+ club once it kicks in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people (especially Cornes) need to realise that if we didn’t give up a large lengthy contract then multiple other clubs would do so instead.

We’re not in the business of being a feeder club for gun 23 y/o KPFs because of a risk averse mentality.

Naughton never wanted to leave Victoria. Interstate clubs were never in the picture.

Collingwood were the real question mark. And yep they offered a huge contract as well. Which is why people like Kane Cornes is dumb as ****.

Let’s say “we just let him go” because of the offers elsewhere. Basically Naughton could have elected to go to a club with no trade capital whatsoever (pies have not many great picks and few players of real currency that would want to leave a premiership side).

Basically he is suggesting we should be at the mercy of getting voluntarily screwed.

Surely going to put pressure on the ability to re sign smith going forward?
Possibly Smith or English. Probably I think Marra is our next priority signing

We could cut the list a bit deeper and get more draftees in too to avail of that 2 year base salary on a bigger proportion of our list. We did bring in Lobb & Jones last year and signed Bailey Williams too this year.

Serious question: did Buddy's 9 year deal force anyone out of Sydney?
Can't remember offhand.
Mumford.

They made 3 GFs with Buddy didn't they? He not only saw his contact out, he even got a 1 year extension. I think he was a success there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back