Recommitted Aaron Naughton [re-signed for EIGHT years!]

Remove this Banner Ad

See above post. 50 goals a year and top 5 contested marks. Those players don’t grow on trees.

yes but id be hopeing that 50 turns into 70 if I'm paying him close to 1 mil over 8 years.

What's wrong with the deal? People do realise multi positioned KPP's don't grow on trees right? Every club would be offering a stack for Naughton.

People are purely looking at the number 8 without realising it actually factors in next year, the year before he’s a free agent. So essentially it’s a 7 year extension from when he’s a free agent. He’s clearly a gun. Needs to tidy up his goal kicking. People need something to complain about I guess.

What's wrong with the deal? People do realise multi positioned KPP's don't grow on trees right? Every club would be offering a stack for Naughton.

nothing wrong with the deal.

Thats the market. You overpay to secure high-end talent.

You just hope hes going to deliver more than what he is currently doing for that money and length of deal. Thats all.

People are purely looking at the number 8 without realising it actually factors in next year, the year before he’s a free agent. So essentially it’s a 7 year extension from when he’s a free agent. He’s clearly a gun. Needs to tidy up his goal kicking. People need something to complain about I guess.

Also gives the Dogs flexibilty, who knows how JUH and Darcy go in the future, they MIGHT be better, they also might not. Naughton can also play back. He's the swingman even though he's basically a forward right now, could easily find his way as a key defender. There will be more long term deals every club has 3-4 of them

Also gives the Dogs flexibilty, who knows how JUH and Darcy go in the future, they MIGHT be better, they also might not. Naughton can also play back. He's the swingman even though he's basically a forward right now, could easily find his way as a key defender. There will be more long term deals every club has 3-4 of them

Spot on. Gives us some breathing space now too.

You just hope hes going to deliver more than what he is currently doing for that money and length of deal. Thats all.

That's the thing, it's not an overpay. Overpaying is doing it for Dylan Shiel types, least Naughton has actually won games off his own boot! Go through every club whether it be the Pies or the last side, they all have players on long term deals. The old 2 year deal is a 4 year one nowadays.

Spot on. Gives us some breathing space now too.

Can't believe I'm sticking up for the Dogs, but seriously complaining about the length of a star forward/defender's contract is ridiculous. Times have changed, long term deals are part and parcel of every club.

That's the thing, it's not an overpay. Overpaying is doing it for Dylan Shiel types, least Naughton has actually won games off his own boot! Go through every club whether it be the Pies or the last side, they all have players on long term deals. The old 2 year deal is a 4 year one nowadays.

Naughton is not currently delivering what would be worth that type of contract. No way.

It's the exact same premise for Essendon signing McKay at 775k over 5 years. He is not worth it based on what he has delivered to date, but we pay for the potential (and risk) that he can get better and deliver in the future. Thats the market.

The market is red hot for Key Defenders and Key Forwards, so you overpay to secure.

Can't believe I'm sticking up for the Dogs, but seriously complaining about the length of a star forward/defender's contract is ridiculous. Times have changed, long term deals are part and parcel of every club.

Maybe because you’ve seen it first hand with big bud and also Blakey?

Not this long

Naughton is not currently delivering what would be worth that type of contract. No way.

It's the exact same premise for Essendon signing McKay ay 775k over 5 years. He is not worth it based on what he has delivered to date, but we pay for the potential that he can get better and deliver in the future. Thats the market.

The market is red hot for Key Defenders and Key Forwards, so you overpay to secure.

Naughton had a terrible year this year he still kicked 44 goals in a side whose midfield was abysmal bar Bont. He's worth every cent, every other club would pay more on an open market. Sure Dogs fans would love him kicking 80...but Charlie Curnow wouldn't have kicked 50 in that Dogs side this year sorry to be blunt but tactically they were dreadful all year. You have to assume the coach is on his last chance saloon and might use his forwards better next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe because you’ve seen it first hand with big bud and also Blakey?

Among others Heeney too, and we will offer Grundy 4-5 years. These are just part and parcel in terms of lengths nowadays.

Naughton had a terrible year this year he still kicked 44 goals in a side whose midfield was abysmal bar Bont. He's worth every cent, every other club would pay more on an open market. Sure Dogs fans would love him kicking 80...but Charlie Curnow wouldn't have kicked 50 in that Dogs side this year sorry to be blunt but tactically they were dreadful all year. You have to assume the coach is on his last chance saloon and might use his forwards better next year

i think Naughton is worth it, because i think he can get better and deliver more. He is only 23.

I would not pay him that much on an 8-year deal for what he has currently delivered. No way. it's all about what he can turn into.

i think Naughton is worth it, because i think he can get better and deliver more. He is only 23.

I would not pay him that much on an 8-year deal for what he has currently delivered. No way. it's all about what he can turn into.

Every club would pay it, KPP's RARELY come on the market, clubs always pay fractionally more for them, but if you don't have keys you aint winning. I have no issue with the 8 years, it's basically 7 years you know. Takes him to about 30 years of age and it also is smart from the Dogs. He's already signed and under a deal when he hits his prime around 26-28 years of age.

Every club would pay it, KPP's RARELY come on the market, clubs always pay fractionally more for them, but if you don't have keys you aint winning. I have no issue with the 8 years, it's basically 7 years you know. Takes him to about 30 years of age and it also is smart from the Dogs. He's already signed and under a deal when he hits his prime around 26-28 years of age.

yep - Id support Essendon doing it too, i dont think thats the point im making though.

its why you do the deal is my issue.

This isn't about what Naughton has done. It's what he can do.

yep - Id support Essendon doing it too, i dont think thats the point im making though.

its why you do the deal is my issue.

This isn't about what Naughton has done. It's what he can do.

It's both. He's already proven he's in the top 8-10 keys in the game, and he'd be in the top few of them who can play both ends. I have a feeling he'll eventually play back (CHB) anyway, assuming Darcy comes on and that's no certainty but as an afl community we hope so as we want these talented kids getting a run at it with no injuries.

Bwahaha. So is McKay high end talent?

Wonder how he will go v Naughton in the years ahead.

Bwahaha. So is McKay high end talent?

Wonder how he will go v Naughton in the years ahead.

no the hope is he could be i guess.

McKay timed the market very well. no KPD on the market and we desperately need one. hence the obscene over pay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back