Abolish the sub rule this weekend - Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Completely Agree. The thing that stuck out for me most was him saying he spent 4 hours a week thinking about who would be the sub, or probably more accurately stressing about it. Id be happy with rotations capped to 80 and sub removed next year. AFL wouldn't have the balls to change anything mid season unless every coach ticked it off.

Am I right that the sub was initially created to slow down rotations? If they lowered the cap it would do the job more effectively thus render the sub useless right?. I know there would be arguments that the sub balances out one injury to another team, but with rotations surely it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Have to disagree with the great man.

I think the coaches have lost the plot on managing flexibility.

They will be back complaining about 4 v 3 bench advantages as soon as the dust settles on the change. They'll also be pressuring doctors to quickly evaluate without the concussion sub, which has been a really smart policy.

It's a 22 week season for 44 blokes on the list. They can't rotate a few different players through the vest role without having a hissy fit?

Spot on, the sub rule is an absolute joke. Leave the game alone, stop ruining it you mugs.

Completely Agree. The thing that stuck out for me most was him saying he spent 4 hours a week thinking about who would be the sub, or probably more accurately stressing about it. Id be happy with rotations capped to 80 and sub removed next year. AFL wouldn't have the balls to change anything mid season unless every coach ticked it off.

Am I right that the sub was initially created to slow down rotations? If they lowered the cap it would do the job more effectively thus render the sub useless right?. I know there would be arguments that the sub balances out one injury to another team, but with rotations surely it wouldn't make much of a difference.
With 80 rotations probably. With 120 you are still rotating players at a much faster rate if you have 4 bench spots compared to 3.

AFL need to stop meddling with the rules. Scrap the sub rule and scrap the interchange limit. The Interchange cap to slow down to the game. Memo to AFL - fans LOVE fast football (see Port v North Saturday night (excuse the fact I'm a port supporter)).

Am I the only one that likes the sub rule?
Nope. I like it for the interchange balance with injuries, concussion sub and I like the tactical idea of brining on someone fresh to see if they can win the game. It's exciting.

I hate how many times the commentators refer to it and the sponsorships, especially the sponsorships!

Spot on, the sub rule is an absolute joke. Leave the game alone, stop ruining it you mugs.
So you want to leave the game alone, by changing a rule?

Completely Agree. The thing that stuck out for me most was him saying he spent 4 hours a week thinking about who would be the sub, or probably more accurately stressing about it.
Yeah I'm sure the man isn't getting paid enough to be forced to worry about stuff like that.

It's massively beneficial if you get an early injury. Ziebell went off for North early, which hurt them, but Jacobs was able to come on and gather 30 touches.

I've grown to like it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's massively beneficial if you get an early injury. Ziebell went off for North early, which hurt them, but Jacobs was able to come on and gather 30 touches.

I've grown to like it.

In that situation, the team is still playing the rest of the game with 21 fit players either way, rendering the sub concept pointless.

Last edited:
This is the same guy who wanted to get rid of the scoreboard 12 months ago when his team was getting flogged every week.
I'm pretty sure he didn't seriously make that suggestion.

its s**t for the players and the fans.

Who wants to spend 3/4 of a grand final sitting on the sidelines then coming on when the result has already been decided. Or the family and friends who go to watch their son/brother/mate and he gets a run.

You wouldn't be able to implement it in local football or the player who gets told they are going to be the sub would crack the shits and go home. Its only because the AFL players are on hundred thousand dollar contracts that they don't do the same.

AFL need to stop meddling with the rules. Scrap the sub rule and scrap the interchange limit. The Interchange cap to slow down to the game. Memo to AFL - fans LOVE fast football (see Port v North Saturday night (excuse the fact I'm a port supporter)).
Where is your evidence that fast football is positive correlated with unlimited interchange?!

Also if we scrap the rules, then we scrap the interchange, and go back to one sub and zero bench.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back