Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Also heard from a good mate of Matt Hammelmans hes been struggling a lot with injury this year and therefore hasn't been able to string performances together because of it. Hope he still gets drafted, early days but I would hate for him to not at least get a rookie spot.

Also heard from a good mate of Matt Hammelmans hes been struggling a lot with injury this year and therefore hasn't been able to string performances together because of it. Hope he still gets drafted, early days but I would hate for him to not at least get a rookie spot.

From what I've read and the few highlights I've seen of Hammelmann, I'm with you on this.

On the bright side, it seems like we've done well out of drafting a few players whose U18 years have been disrupted by injury. From memory, both Robbo and Cutler had missed a fair bit of time last year? Given the club have had a fair bit of time to assess Hammelmann up close, I'd be confident the injury thing shouldn't unduly affect his chances. I have no idea really how the club rate his chances anyway, but I'd be hopeful nagging injuries shouldn't be the determining factor.

Yeah bottom ager, only one worth looking at of the bottom agers.
Dont know why you keep putting these bottom ages down,I know for a fact they all have plenty of interest and are penciled in recruiters books for next year already,One has at least 4 clubs

Dont know why you keep putting these bottom ages down,I know for a fact they all have plenty of interest and are penciled in recruiters books for next year already,One has at least 4 clubs

They are getting good game time, and starting on field , sounds like they have the goods to perform . Thought Moseley played well , tough competitor every I watch him play, for a few years now.

Just on comparison with the last few years performances of the bottom agers. Keayes is the only one IMO who is having a year as a bottom ager in the same ilk of Dawson, Hammelman, Weller whom I reckon had better years as bottom agers than Tickner and Conway. And I am very critical of Keays only his last few performances for the NEAFL and BlackGun1 have changed my opinion of him.

Looking forward to seeing the Qld boys in action. Only three rounds for Div 2 this year but I will get to two so will at least get a little look at them. There is a bit of talent in the Qld side and if we don't win Div 2 I will be disappointed. No games in Qld (or NT or Tas) but all of the Qld games will be at neutral venues. I still have a slim hope that they might televise the last round game at Etihad which is before the VC v WA game. It would be nice for the boys to get on TV and that should be the decider for Div 2.

Just on comparison with the last few years performances of the bottom agers. Keayes is the only one IMO who is having a year as a bottom ager in the same ilk of Dawson, Hammelman, Weller whom I reckon had better years as bottom agers than Tickner and Conway. And I am very critical of Keays only his last few performances for the NEAFL and BlackGun1 have changed my opinion of him.
We"ll see I think you might be surprised by all 3,Moseley Keays and Wagner

We"ll see I think you might be surprised by all 3,Moseley Keays and Wagner

Yeah Wagner is good but he is too in and out of games, if he pulls it all together consistently then he is in a chance seeing as I have only ever seen him put one four quarter performance together I don't think he will come into draft contention. Moseley is ok but Keays is the pick of the bunch and has shown the most imo

Can someone who watched it tell me how Jackson played? Good to see him in the bests again. 9 marks in defence is a pretty good effort on paper

Yeh , Jackson went pretty good, listed in best players, like his style, prepared to take on the opposition and make something happen . Copped a headknock and needed stitches early on , unfortunate as just hitting his straps , and unfortunate manner as he had marked the ball but called to play on when incident occurred . The game was close early on but the lead blew out later which took him out of the game as the ball was in forward line .

Another one new on the scene is Harris Andrews , got moved into the backline also, went pretty well I thought . Appears to be coming through the ranks and passing all the challenges .

We seem to be finding a lot of backmen...Which is great and all, but we also need forwards/mids and even another ruck if we dont keep Michael around. Smith is still another year or 2 yet before we can comfortably say hes a lock in.

Seems the likes of Dawson and Hammelman are being talked up as defenders. I think we'll release Dawson up field to though, like Carlton have with Docherty to good effect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We seem to be finding a lot of backmen...Which is great and all, but we also need forwards/mids and even another ruck if we dont keep Michael around. Smith is still another year or 2 yet before we can comfortably say hes a lock in.

Seems the likes of Dawson and Hammelman are being talked up as defenders. I think we'll release Dawson up field to though, like Carlton have with Docherty to good effect.

Dawson is a utility imo his best work is in defense but he has proved on multiple occasions to be a real good target up forward and an accumulator in the midfield. Hammelman on the other hand has always been a forward, not sure why he has been played in defense lately. Maybe to show off his ability as he has done well back there.

Hammelman on the other hand has always been a forward, not sure why he has been played in defense lately. Maybe to show off his ability as he has done well back there.

I wonder about this too. I wonder whether it fits in with the Club's increasing drive to expose players to other positions, or whether he just got squeezed out of forward spots in the AIS-AFL academy, or if we've just lost some confidence in his forward attributes. I'm really interested to see how he goes in the national champs when the Div. 2 teams get going.

I wonder about this too. I wonder whether it fits in with the Club's increasing drive to expose players to other positions, or whether he just got squeezed out of forward spots in the AIS-AFL academy, or if we've just lost some confidence in his forward attributes. I'm really interested t
I wonder about this too. I wonder whether it fits in with the Club's increasing drive to expose players to other positions, or whether he just got squeezed out of forward spots in the AIS-AFL academy, or if we've just lost some confidence in his forward attributes. I'm really interested to see how he goes in the national champs when the Div. 2 teams get going.

e how he goes in the national champs when the Div. 2 teams get going.
Andrews
Andrews and Ubergang would be well ahead of Hammelman at the moment

Andrews

Andrews and Ubergang would be well ahead of Hammelman at the moment

No way mate. Of the two Ubergang is the only one that has showed anything and that hasn't been a lot to be honest. Hammelman hasn't set the world on fire to be honest but he has been played out of position as well as has been struggling with injury and he still has been pretty good. Hammelman also has last years championships as a show of good form while both Ubergang and Andrews do not. Unless Ubergang kicks bags every game at the champs I cannot see him being considered in the draft. Only 3 boys currently imo are a shot at being drafted. Hammelman, Dawson and Watson. The other outside chance is Rayner who has been playing really well in the NEAFL as a small forward. Hopefully he pushes into the midfield in the champs and shows what he can do there because he was absolutely dominant in the midfield when I played with him and I think that he can make it at AFL level. Granted due to our plethora of smalls I do not think he will end up at Brisbane but another club if he was drafted.

No way mate. Of the two Ubergang is the only one that has showed anything and that hasn't been a lot to be honest. Hammelman hasn't set the world on fire to be honest but he has been played out of position as well as has been struggling with injury and he still has been pretty good. Hammelman also has last years championships as a show of good form while both Ubergang and Andrews do not. Unless Ubergang kicks bags every game at the champs I cannot see him being considered in the draft. Only 3 boys currently imo are a shot at being drafted. Hammelman, Dawson and Watson. The other outside chance is Rayner who has been playing really well in the NEAFL as a small forward. Hopefully he pushes into the midfield in the champs and shows what he can do there because he was absolutely dominant in the midfield when I played with him and I think that he can make it at AFL level. Granted due to our plethora of smalls I do not think he will end up at Brisbane but another club if he was drafted.
Last year doesn't mean much if you can't put it together this year from what I've seen previously

Starts Saturday week with all 4 states playing @ Blacktown :thumbsu:

As someone who obviously watches a lot of this stuff, how far do you feel Jackson is away from being alongside Hammelman, Dawson and Watson? What does he need to improve?

Last year doesn't mean much if you can't put it together this year from what I've seen previously

It was only early this season while playing for the AIS that Hammellman was named in the bests on a couple of occasions so I'd be surprised if recruiters had forgotten that already.

After Weller and Dawson he would still be the next highest rated player coming out of QLD. Hopefully he has got his body right and can show his ability at the champs.

I think there are a few with a chance of a rookie spot including Jackson, Uebergang and Cameron-Reeves. Qld though need to have a dominant performance at the Champs which they have not done for years. They also need to have a really good finish to the year. There are quite a few who have probably done enough to have teams interested in taking a close look at them at the Champs and it is up to them to them to make the best of it.

Love having a clash of opinions on the academy players. I reckon last year we fell victim to a bit of groupthink. Good to get a range of views.

It was only early this season while playing for the AIS that Hammellman was named in the bests on a couple of occasions so I'd be surprised if recruiters had forgotten that already.

After Weller and Dawson he would still be the next highest rated player coming out of QLD. Hopefully he has got his body right and can show his ability at the champs.
Hammellman is a good kid dont me wrong but time and time again we have raved about some bottom ages only to see them miss out on everything the year after because they havent shown enough when it counted.The kid can play but needs to be more dominate.

Hammellman is a good kid dont me wrong but time and time again we have raved about some bottom ages only to see them miss out on everything the year after because they havent shown enough when it counted.The kid can play but needs to be more dominate.

For a St Kilda supporter you seem very interested in Brisbanes development! Your second team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back