Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't seem as if Hammelman really had that bad of a game. Spoke to a few people that watched and reckoned he easily could of kicked those two which would of turned an ok game and made it look like a better one. Dunno whoever said that he was non-existent sounds to me that they are wrong

Thanks guys - just realised the game is on sunday instead of saturday - i am in negotiation mode seeing it is mothers day.....this may effect my ability to get there now unfortunatley.

https://twitter.com/Gippsland_Power

Yeah, that's correct according to the Power's twitter feed. QLD kicked 9.18 to win by a point.

Apparently Dylan Mutu was sent off for QLD. I think he might be a Suns academy player, possibly?

Ended up seeing the old man this weekend so we went out and watched, fantastic win for the lads. Mutu was sent off for an innocuous stoppage incident nothing much in it.

In terms of how the lads went, Weller was close to BOG and you can see how he's up there in the draft rankings, size wise though he definitely needs to bulk up a bit. DCR was fantastic in the trenches, Harris Andrews was awesome at CHF and I thought performed better than Uebergang who was still pretty good, so it's good to see we have some good KPPs to choose from. Nick Jackson was awesome in defence, played with Hammellmann as the two talls and again I thought Hammo was ordinary. Dawson played CHB most of the game and probably didn't have the opportunity to really showcase his wares but some of his decision making was encouraging. Young Wagner was also very impressive on the wing. Jimmy Rayner was ferocious as ever and had plenty of it but needs to improve his decision making.

Honourable mentions to Moseley, number 4 who's name has slipped my mind and Bertoli Simmonds who tried hard all day. Great effort from the boys I thought.

Interesting on Qld playing Hammelmann at CHB. Fletcher's the coach but he's no longer part of our organization, so I wonder how these decisions are made - best for the team, best for the player, best for the player's attempt to get drafted, or best for the Lions. These don't necessarily align.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting on Qld playing Hammelmann at CHB. Fletcher's the coach but he's no longer part of our organization, so I wonder how these decisions are made - best for the team, best for the player, best for the player's attempt to get drafted, or best for the Lions. These don't necessarily align.

I've been wondering about this as well. I think I read that he played CHB a bit on the AIS tour.

At first I thought it may be a chance to develop his versatility a bit, but I can't help thinking perceptions of his best position are changing. The more I think about it, a tall KPD who could swing forward and kick a goal could be a good complement to a high first round KPF, maybe even moreso than another out-and-out KPF prospect. Of our current stocks, Clarke is pretty tall, but Gardiner and Bourke are low 190s (listed at 191 and 193), and McStay (194) seems to be more of a rebounding third defender based on reserve reports. If Leppa is keen to have a little more height down back, I figure that may partly explain Lisle's run in the backline.

Then again, this may be overstating the significance of height past a point.

Personally very happy with Clarke and Gardiner's development at this point.

I am still hoping for Hammelmann to develop into a quality CHF but certainly don't think it would hurt him development wise to play back. If it ends up being his best position then that's fine as I still see it as a need for our list moving forward.

Personally very happy with Clarke and Gardiner's development at this point.

I am still hoping for Hammelmann to develop into a quality CHF but certainly don't think it would hurt him development wise to play back. If it ends up being his best position then that's fine as I still see it as a need for our list moving forward.

Can't see Hammelmann getting the meat on his bones to be the big dominating CHB. Jack Gunston like player he could be

Dawson played for Wilston Grange in the QAFL on Saturday. The fourth team he has represented this season. Might be out of his control, but not sure this is an overly beneficial recipe for development.

Fwiw, he played on the wing/hff. Was ok without being spectacular. Undoubtedly plays his best football in defence IMO.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=124158155&c=0-3020-0-294694-0&pool=1

Academy stat leaders:
L. Dawson - 30 disposals (18 K, 12 H), 8 marks, 3 tackles - Score 4.1
B. Keays - 28 disposals (13 K, 15 H), 8 marks, 7 tackles
D. Cameron-Reeves - 27 disposals (14 K, 13 H) 4 marks, 5 tackles
L. Moseley - 25 disposals (16 K, 9 H) 3 marks, 4 tackles - Score 1.0
C. Wagner - 25 disposals (19 K, 6 H) 8 marks - Score 0.1

* e dead 7 tackles from Keays, Definitely working on his deficiencys I will give him that!

**** e dead 7 tackles from Keays, Definitely working on his deficiencys I will give him that!

Not only that but it appears that the 2015 boys are really starting to show some form as a whole, could be a decent draft year after all.

But would like to see some other youngins apart from those three put their hand up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back