Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes he is a key forward size and should be draftable by us under academy rules. Good news for us that there are a few options looking likely for this upcoming draft. Is Keays a 2015 prospect as he looks good also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For some reason I thought he had originated somewhere else. Could easily be completely wrong on this one.
From Ipswich area I believe. Was part of the western region rep programs through juniors. Had big wraps on him from those involved there but stopped playing footy to concentrate on year 12. I'm sure he was part of our original Lions academy.

A quick google search on Uebergang shoots out a Queensland times article suggesting he is 195cm. Does that sound right to people who have seen him play?

I hadn't even heard of him until the first Lions vs. Suns academy game when he caught my eye. Just oozes class, really natural forward and one of those guys who really wouldn't need a lot of work on his game once making it into the AFL system.

Yes he is a key forward size and should be draftable by us under academy rules. Good news for us that there are a few options looking likely for this upcoming draft. Is Keays a 2015 prospect as he looks good also!

He and Wagner co-captained the 16's side last year, seems like they are grooming those two to be our big 2015 options.

For the Brisbane Lions, 196cm Academy player Matt Hammelmann is making good progress, and was used in defence and attack through the Europe camp and competed well. He's a steady kick and has sure hands, much like other Lions Academy player Liam Dawson, who plays mainly in defence.

Link

Hearing good things about Matt :thumbsu:

We should have a strong defensive back six again in a few years if he joins Clarke, Gardiner, McStay, Cutler etc. Perfect timing with Merrett, Patfull and Maguire all coming to the latter stages of their careers. To land two KPD for next to zero in Clarke and Hammelman is a massive bonus - now just need to keep them all together @ the Lions :rolleyes:

Hearing good things about Matt :thumbsu:

We should have a strong defensive back six again in a few years if he joins Clarke, Gardiner, McStay, Cutler etc. Perfect timing with Merrett, Patfull and Maguire all coming to the latter stages of their careers. To land two KPD for next to zero in Clarke and Hammelman is a massive bonus - now just need to keep them all together @ the Lions :rolleyes:

hammelman is a forward he just played a bit in the backline for ais

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most 'experts' seem to think he's more suited to a defensive post even though he's played forward, ala Hurley from Essendon. Time will tell I guess.
He can play both ends of the ground well. He probably will make it quicker as a defender than a kpf he doesn't have the aggression and pack crashing of a true kpf as of yet. Although there has been significant improvement in that area.

I always have a favourite Qlder I'm bullish on each year. This year Im looking forward to seeing how Dawson performs. I've been singing his praises for a while.

At this stage, I think he's probably the most well rounded player/as much of a 'sure thing' to come out of Qld since Whitecross (IMO).

I always have a favourite Qlder I'm bullish on each year. This year Im looking forward to seeing how Dawson performs. I've been singing his praises for a while.

At this stage, I think he's probably the most well rounded player/as much of a 'sure thing' to come out of Qld since Whitecross (IMO).
Nothing against Whitecross but a Beams would have been better.

Nothing against Whitecross but a Beams would have been better.
I don't think so. Beams wasn't highly rated going into his u18 season. His rise came from outstanding form in TAC cup with GC17 (Much like Josh Thomas). I can assure you the extent of Beams' development has surprised everyone who knew him throughout junior level.

Whitecross, like Dawson, was in the AIS squad and looked like a safe bet to have a good AFL career (which he was well and truly establishing before his injury).

I don't think so. Beams wasn't highly rated going into his u18 season. His rise came from outstanding form in TAC cup with GC17 (Much like Josh Thomas). I can assure you the extent of Beams' development has surprised everyone who knew him throughout junior level.

Whitecross, like Dawson, was in the AIS squad and looked like a safe bet to have a good AFL career (which he was well and truly establishing before his injury).
I agree. I watched Whitecross when I used to go to a bit of QAFL or whatever they called it and he was an absolute stand-out. One of those times I was genuinely disappointed not to draft a specific player.

How's Tickner been going this year?

He's playing QAFL at Uq at the moment, doesn't seem to be breaking into Aspley's lineup. Not sure if its still injury struggles or just poor form.

On another note, what's the verdict on Cam Stevenson? Really impressed me on the weekend and his stats as a top-up have been awesome. Not alot has been said about him though.

He's playing QAFL at Uq at the moment, doesn't seem to be breaking into Aspley's lineup. Not sure if its still injury struggles or just poor form.

On another note, what's the verdict on Cam Stevenson? Really impressed me on the weekend and his stats as a top-up have been awesome. Not alot has been said about him though.

I was also super impressed from what I've seen from Stevenson which admittedly is a small sample to judge on. Looks like a very smart footballer and natural forward though. Kicked goals in the ressies again this week did he not?

It sounds like the reserves coaches were very pleased with the top ups this week but of course they don't individually get a mention in the official review. Can anyone who saw the game report with more detail on the individuals?

I was also super impressed from what I've seen from Stevenson which admittedly is a small sample to judge on. Looks like a very smart footballer and natural forward though. Kicked goals in the ressies again this week did he not?

It sounds like the reserves coaches were very pleased with the top ups this week but of course they don't individually get a mention in the official review. Can anyone who saw the game report with more detail on the individuals?

I said in the reserves thread that I thought Stevenson and Watson were the two best top-ups on the day and Cameron-Reeves was his ever trusty self. Watson is one that continues to intrigue me as he has been playing at a very high level for quite some time now but yet doesn't seem to get the credit he deserves. C-R is very comfortable at that level and you'd think he would be a lock for a rookie spot at the least. Uebergang did some freakish things but wasn't in the contest for most of the day, but the things he did does make you sit up and notice. Keays and Wagner were both solid although Wagner did struggle a bit considering he's naturally an outside player and couldn't quite get the space he needed at that level. Keays' tackling was actually pretty good and definitely played a gritty inside type game which hasn't appeared to be his forte. Leong has some toe and he's a big unit but wasn't all that composed and was a non-factor for most of the day. Bertoli-Simmonds was his trusty self but once again you have to think if its enough for him to be noticed and AFL listed.

Yep, Stevenson and Watson for mine. C-R always looks impressive. Couldn't agree more re Watson, trains the house down, impressive numbers/times, appears to be a legit prospect, but lacks recognition. Could be the surprise package if his form continues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back