Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

should the limit be raised?

When one looks at the injury toll some clubs go through (GC for example) shouldn't it be made possible for a greater depth of talent per club?

Does the AFL have some obligation to clubs because of the higher injury toll due to their interchange implementation that is injuring players?

Doesn't the Gold Coast have 2 or 3 spots free on their senior list?

Did anyone get to see some of the QLD state u15s titles last week? Anyone stand out?

The following academy boys have been selected in the QLD School Sport U15 AFL State Squad to play at the national champs in mid-late July.

Tom Mathews ( Darling Downs )
Darcy Marsh ( Met East )
Adam Peak ( Met East )...
Connor McFayden ( Met North )
Cody Stackleberg ( Met North )
Corey Gladdish ( Met North )
Ray Easton ( Met North )
Jesse Quint ( Met West )
Caleb Franks ( Met West )
Nick Smith ( Sunshine Coast )
Connor Crofts ( Sunshine Coast )
Loki Haines ( Sunshine Coast )
Tom Ansell ( Sunshine Coast )
Kobe Tozer ( Sunshine Coast - 14yr old)

Emergency - Justin Currie (Met East)

The following academy boys have been selected in the QLD School Sport U15 AFL State Squad to play at the national champs in mid-late July.

Tom Mathews ( Darling Downs )
Darcy Marsh ( Met East )
Adam Peak ( Met East )...
Connor McFayden ( Met North )
Cody Stackleberg ( Met North )
Corey Gladdish ( Met North )
Ray Easton ( Met North )
Jesse Quint ( Met West )
Caleb Franks ( Met West )
Nick Smith ( Sunshine Coast )
Connor Crofts ( Sunshine Coast )
Loki Haines ( Sunshine Coast )
Tom Ansell ( Sunshine Coast )
Kobe Tozer ( Sunshine Coast - 14yr old)

Emergency - Justin Currie (Met East)

Thanks Tigernova.

I've been looking online and on twitter for the results of the U15's carnival without success, do you have a link by any chance?

There are very big wraps on young Kobe Tozer from Aspley, definitely one to keep an eye on.

There was actually an Under 13 academy boy from Aspley, Lachie McCormick, playing CHF for Met North in the carnival, which is a fair effort at that age. Big/tough unit with lots of skill, as my (much smaller) son can ruefully confirm through several clashes with him....:(

I was aware that 3 academy boys from my club Wilston Grange, Easton, McFadyen and Gladdish, had made it, which is great to see.

It might not be general knowledge, but over the next 12 months there will be improvements totalling almost $2m going into the Wilston Grange ground at Hickey Park, which will completely transform the 1970's set-up we have there at the moment and should (hopefully anyway) have us rivalling Aspley and Morningside as a breeding ground for senior AFL aspirants before too long.

Thanks Tigernova.

I've been looking online and on twitter for the results of the U15's carnival without success, do you have a link by any chance?

There are very big wraps on young Kobe Tozer from Aspley, definitely one to keep an eye on.

There was actually an Under 13 academy boy from Aspley, Lachie McCormick, playing CHF for Met North in the carnival, which is a fair effort at that age. Big/tough unit with lots of skill, as my (much smaller) son can ruefully confirm through several clashes with him....:(

I was aware that 3 academy boys from my club Wilston Grange, Easton, McFadyen and Gladdish, had made it, which is great to see.

It might not be general knowledge, but over the next 12 months there will be improvements totalling almost $2m going into the Wilston Grange ground at Hickey Park, which will completely transform the 1970's set-up we have there at the moment and should (hopefully anyway) have us rivalling Aspley and Morningside as a breeding ground for senior AFL aspirants before too long.
Brisbane Lions academy Facebook page.

Worth noting that the Champs teams are up on the AFL website including the Qld team at - http://www.afl.com.au/news/game-development/nab-afl-rising-star-program/u18s/queensland

On the heights:
Keays - 185 which I think is a few centimetres taller than last year
Corvo - 191 also a couple taller
Wagner - 181
William - 181.5
Hipwood - 200 that kind of height starts to make him even more interesting
Buzza - 198 nice height
Chol - 198 again really good height and his athleticism will get him a few looks.

For those keeping an eye on next year and talking up the need for a big bodied mid it is worth noting that Allison is listed at 193. The kid can play anywhere on the ground and has the height for it. I will have a very close look at him at the Champs. Rolls the other one who has gotten a bit of attention since getting the NEAFL Rising Star nomination early was measured at 181.

Worth noting that the Champs teams are up on the AFL website including the Qld team at - http://www.afl.com.au/news/game-development/nab-afl-rising-star-program/u18s/queensland

On the heights:
Wagner - 181
William - 181.5
Buzza - 198 nice height
Chol - 198 again really good height and his athleticism will get him a few looks.

For those keeping an eye on next year and talking up the need for a big bodied mid it is worth noting that Allison is listed at 193. The kid can play anywhere on the ground and has the height for it. I will have a very close look at him at the Champs. Rolls the other one who has gotten a bit of attention since getting the NEAFL Rising Star nomination early was measured at 181.

Hey Quigley quick question, from certain articles, reviews by watchers and the view of the queensland coach Hipwood, Buzza and Chol appear to be decently rated being decent options for the futre. However would we be overloading our list with young talls if we were to acquire them this year? that is we pick up Hipwood in the draft and the other two in the rookie draft.

From the way I see it end of the year Maguire, Staker, Paine and Mcguane will be gone, and very likely Bourke will be too and either one of Leunberger, West or Smith will also most likely move on.
I understand we are chasing a couple of mature bodies with Rance, Dixon, Henderson, Carlisle etc. If we were to land two of the options we are chasing I'd say given our run with injuries etc if these three do show talent we should be into them, however im wondering whether you think its an issue having your list laden with too many young developing talls.

Interested in your view

On the heights:
Wagner - 181
William - 181.5
Buzza - 198 nice height

So, unless some amazing performances in the Nationals are forthcoming - Keays would be the only one we'd be looking at that isn't a project / rookie quality player?

Hey Quigley quick question, from certain articles, reviews by watchers and the view of the queensland coach Hipwood, Buzza and Chol appear to be decently rated being decent options for the futre. However would we be overloading our list with young talls if we were to acquire them this year? that is we pick up Hipwood in the draft and the other two in the rookie draft.

From the way I see it end of the year Maguire, Staker, Paine and Mcguane will be gone, and very likely Bourke will be too and either one of Leunberger, West or Smith will also most likely move on.
I understand we are chasing a couple of mature bodies with Rance, Dixon, Henderson, Carlisle etc. If we were to land two of the options we are chasing I'd say given our run with injuries etc if these three do show talent we should be into them, however im wondering whether you think its an issue having your list laden with too many young developing talls.

Interested in your view

Whats the chance another club can deraft them if QLD doesn't take them? Im not sure how the draft works if my question is easily answered..

Playing at Redlands 10.30 (?) this Satuday, against Oakleigh charges. Might be worth a look?

Whats the chance another club can deraft them if QLD doesn't take them? Im not sure how the draft works if my question is easily answered..

Playing at Redlands 10.30 (?) this Satuday, against Oakleigh charges. Might be worth a look?

Using Brisbane as an example

The Lions will nominate their Academy selections predraft meeting. From there the other clubs bid on its academy selections as they see fit, and the Lions will have the opportunity to match these bids or let the player go to the club making its bid.

If no club bids on a player the Lions have the right to claim that player via the use of their last active picks, however if they forgo this the player falls into the national draft where its a free for all.

If the player is then overlooked in the National Draft, the Lions have first rights to take the player in the Rookie Draft if they forgo this opportunity also, its a free for all for that player in the Rookie draft

The Lions will nominate their Academy selections predraft meeting. From there the other clubs bid on its academy selections as they see fit, and the Lions will have the opportunity to match these bids or let the player go to the club making its bid.

If no club bids on a player the Lions have the right to claim that player via the use of their last active picks, however if they forgo this the player falls into the national draft where its a free for all.

If the player is then overlooked in the National Draft, the Lions have first rights to take the player in the Rookie Draft if they forgo this opportunity also, its a free for all for that player in the Rookie draft
Thanks for the great answer mate. Can clubs nominate Academy kids who the Lions haven't?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the great answer mate. Can clubs nominate Academy kids who the Lions haven't?
Im sure there are others here who can you a more detailed rundown but that was the general gist of it.

From my understanding other clubs can't nominate an Academy player however they are welcome to draft them if the Lions haven't nominated them in the draft.

So, unless some amazing performances in the Nationals are forthcoming - Keays would be the only one we'd be looking at that isn't a project / rookie quality player?
NEAFL Rising Star Nominee: Eric Hipwood

Jess Webster May 27, 2015 2:53 PM

Eric-Hipwood.jpg

Related
He has started to develop a good physical size to play more of a key forward role.
Luke Curran
The Brisbane Lions Academy has produced its third NEAFL Rising Star nominee in the first seven rounds of the season with teenage forward Eric Hipwood the latest to make his mark on the competition.

The 17-year-old Caloundra junior booted three goals in an important role up forward on Saturday when the Lions – who fielded 12 Academy players - went down to defending premier Aspley by 34 points at Graham Rd.

Hornets too strong for Lions

Hipwood joins fellow Academy members Jack Rolls (Round 2) and Ben Keays (Round 4) as NEAFL Rising Star nominees this year.

The 200cm key forward made his senior debut last season with the Lions in one of two NEAFL appearances, while also booting 10 goals in three matches for Queensland at the National Under-16 Championships.

He was rewarded with selection in the AFL National Academy Level Two Squad and has played four NEAFL games for Brisbane and two TAC Cup matches for the Queensland Under-18s so far this season.

Hipwood was talent identified by Brisbane a few years ago and Lions Academy Manager, Luke Curran, said the nomination will give the draft prospect a timely confidence boost.

“He was lean and lanky at a young age and now that his body is starting to fill out and mature, he has been able to play some good footy in the last 12-18 months,” he said.

“Last year he was more of a tall, skinny kid and now that he has spent time within the program and in the gym, he has started to develop a good physical size to play more of a key forward role.

“His form over the last two weeks has been really good and this will give him a fair bit of confidence going forward.”

Hipwood will line up for Queensland this weekend when they take on the Oakleigh Chargers in Round 9 of the TAC Cup at Tidbold Park.

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of the AFL or its clubs

Exclusive to lions.com.au

For those keeping an eye on next year and talking up the need for a big bodied mid it is worth noting that Allison is listed at 193. The kid can play anywhere on the ground and has the height for it. I will have a very close look at him at the Champs.
Not sure I'd use the term 'big bodied' and Allison in the same sentence. :p

Will be interesting to see how he fills out.

Slightly different now, captainrich.

The first bolded part now takes part live during the National Draft. The second bolded part happens automatically at the end of the draft (well, technically after pick 56, when all players just get matched by a club's last active pick).

Keays is 15cms shorter than Hipwood and weighs the same. That is telling on two fronts.

• On Keays- A lot of the bigfooty phantom drafters have talked up his strength in close, which I dismissed out of hand given he looks fairly lean in photos. That may be worth revisiting.
  • On Hipwood- For a slightly built underager playing seniors he is hitting the scoreboard consistently. It'll be really interesting to see how he goes in the champs. With Staker and McGuane probably on the way out, you'd have to think that we'd have a good long look at another local tall.

Slightly different now, captainrich.

The first bolded part now takes part live during the National Draft. The second bolded part happens automatically at the end of the draft (well, technically after pick 56, when all players just get matched by a club's last active pick).
cheers mate thought there might be some changes

Interested in your view

What we decide to do could depend on how the team rates those we have, if we pick up the likes of Dixon and Rance and what we do with our first pick. Personally if we picked up one of Dixon or Rance I would still be prepared to add 3 KPs in the draft given those we would be delisting. I would go tall first up if we could grab someone like Schache and then probably two of the Qld boys. I am not against a shotgun approach at this stage especially if we can get them at a bit of a discount. If we end up with too many KPs are worth more at the trade table than small/mediums.

Hipwood the obvious front runner and his really nice performance down back for Qld the week before last adds to his attractiveness. It would indicate that he has potential to move down back if things don't work out up forward. Chol and Buzza are both coming from a fair way back but both have good size and are interesting prospects. I would have to have a bit better look at them before I could give a half informed opinion on who I prefer. I do think how well Aliir Aliir is developing in Sydney probably helps Chol's case. Dennis also not without a chance to be picked up although he is a true ruck atm.

I have we have heard that we have a fair bit of draftable talent running around this year which gave me confidence that I am not just overrating the academy talent like I often do.

Keays is 15cms shorter than Hipwood and weighs the same. That is telling on two fronts.

• On Keays- A lot of the bigfooty phantom drafters have talked up his strength in close, which I dismissed out of hand given he looks fairly lean in photos. That may be worth revisiting.
  • On Hipwood- For a slightly built underager playing seniors he is hitting the scoreboard consistently. It'll be really interesting to see how he goes in the champs. With Staker and McGuane probably on the way out, you'd have to think that we'd have a good long look at another local tall.

Keays has long skinny arms which I think can be a bit of an illusion. If you see him up close he is actually quite built through the torso and his legs.

Hipwood, in my opinion, has surpassed where Hammellmann was this time last year. He simply can just compete alot better and has more athleticism. Just needs to continue to work on his footy smarts and obviously fill out as time goes on. 200cm for a bloke that is playing mostly KP at this stage is very, very promising.

Don't kid yourself Panthera.... They are all project/developing footballers....Including Ben Keays. Their best footy is years away and they all have massive room for improvement. If you are looking for a immediate fix, look for an already proven KPP. None of these boys are proven KPP's. Long term, we must develop these young ones into future/regular AFL players for the Lions, otherwise some other club will.

Don't kid yourself Panthera.... They are all project/developing footballers....Including Ben Keays. Their best footy is years away and they all have massive room for improvement. If you are looking for a immediate fix, look for an already proven KPP. None of these boys are proven KPP's. Long term, we must develop these young ones into future/regular AFL players for the Lions, otherwise some other club will.

Um, yeah...thanks for that clarification o_O

Keays has long skinny arms which I think can be a bit of an illusion. If you see him up close he is actually quite built through the torso and his legs.

Hipwood, in my opinion, has surpassed where Hammellmann was this time last year. He simply can just compete alot better and has more athleticism. Just needs to continue to work on his footy smarts and obviously fill out as time goes on. 200cm for a bloke that is playing mostly KP at this stage is very, very promising.

The one thing I would like to see from Hipwood is for him to actually take over a game. To date he has been pretty consistent but as an athletic 200cm player I would like to see more domination.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back