Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

You made the comment Panthera...."So, unless some amazing performances in the Nationals are forthcoming - Keays would be the only one we'd be looking at that isn't a project / rookie quality player?";););)

Meaning that Keays is probably going to be a high draft pick and could potentially play games next season; the others probably not. I am quite aware that 17 year old kids have more development in them :thumbsu:

Meaning that Keays is probably going to be a high draft pick and could potentially play games next season; the others probably not. I am quite aware that 17 year old kids have more development in them :thumbsu:

Cal twomey did make that comment on his podcast that he believes others rate him higher because he has the potential to come and in and play senior games early on. Has him 15-20 range at the moment

http://www.aflq.com.au/round-6-qafl-rising-star-nominee-wylie-buzza/

wylie-840x450.jpg

Posted on Thursday, 28th May, 2015

All the attributes are there for Wylie Buzza. He’s big, he’s strong, he’s athletic, and he has good hands.

On Saturday, it all came together for ‘Buzz.’ After a best on ground performance, he has earned the round 6 QAFL Rising Star nod.

Buzza and Wagner kick 2 late goals apiece to ice the game vs Chargers. Both "excellent" according to chat coverage. Sounds like Buzza had a monster game, taking contested grabs, crashing packs and kicking a bag.

Buzza and Wagner kick 2 late goals apiece to ice the game vs Chargers. Both "excellent" according to chat coverage. Sounds like Buzza had a monster game, taking contested grabs, crashing packs and kicking a bag.

He would have a big size advantage in the under 18s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year he was 2kg lighter.... Yes he has an advantage. Its called 'natural advantage..'.

Who cares how old Buzza is? It will never matter again after this year, either he'll make it or he won't.

Obviously a great effort from Buzza yesterday, it will hardly be disastrous for the Lions if both he and Hipwood prove good enough to be drafted.

Who cares how old Buzza is? It will never matter again after this year, either he'll make it or he won't.

Obviously a great effort from Buzza yesterday, it will hardly be disastrous for the Lions if both he and Hipwood prove good enough to be drafted.
Good post mate. Some people are obviously jealous and have a vested interest. Hence the squeeling...:rolleyes:

Most people just want to see kids live their dreams.

They said the same thing about Kurt Tippett in his overaged year. And he turned out able to monster opponents at senior level too.

We've all seen junior players who are just too big and tall for their opposition but show nothing else. From everything I've seen and heard, Buzza shows more than just size and strength. I think recruiters are smart enough to look past the obvious attributes.

It will be really fascinating to see how he goes at the champs and then in the NEAFL late in the year.

I've seen him at the Lions Academy training first hand, so I'd assume he was one of ours.

Academy 2015 preseason squad, interesting to see who will stand out

Declan Watson 17
Dominic Paino 17
Jacob Allison 17
Lliam Molan 17
Max Hewett 17
Jack Rolls 17
Jack Mammone 17
Luke O'Sullivan 17
Hayden Tompkins 17
Luca Mason 17
Nathanael Carswell 17
Sam Copland 17
Jason Kennedy 17
Joel Perry-Warren 17
Blake Hartley 18
Charlie Driffield 18
Corey Wagner 18
Liam Moseley 18
Jordan Maynard 18
Connor Stackelberg 18
Aaron Yusia-Maricic 18
Ben Keays 18
Caleb Saunter 18
David Yabsley 18
Isaiah Edwards 18
Max Quigley 18
Tom Rolls 18
John Mason 18
Luke Penberthy 18
Rueben Williams 18
Jonathan Macanawi 18
Oliver Ritchie 18
Daniel Mauch 18
Benjamin Glover 18
Eric Hipwood 18
Gareth Hunt 18
Nate Dennis 18
Wade Nelson 18
Isaac Corvo 18
Jack Munkara 18
Josh Elmslie 19
Wylie Buzza 19 * New Player
Jonah Licht 19 * New Player
Nick Weller 19 * Rookie Search
Dylan Adkins 19 * Rookie Search

Here's the squad apparently.

Buzza played for our academy side against the Gold Coasts academy team.

http://www.aflq.com.au/suns-take-round-one-against-lions-academy/

Is there a duration of time that they have to serve in the academy first before we have entitlements to them? Just curious as I know of the situation in regards to Weller last year and even though they are different situations I know that Buzza has only just started playing in the last three to four years.

Is there a duration of time that they have to serve in the academy first before we have entitlements to them? Just curious as I know of the situation in regards to Weller last year and even though they are different situations I know that Buzza has only just started playing in the last three to four years.

IIRC it's more to do with how long they've lived in Queensland. I think Andrews was only in the academy for one year.

Wylie has completed just 3 seasons of AFL. That would be the biggest factor in choosing him as a mature aged player. Consider this; My 11yo has played more full rules games of AFL (from u12s up) than Wylie. The boys Wylie is playing against have hundreds of full rules games under their belts.

There must be these allowances for kids like Wylie who came from RL in a RL dominant state like QLD. So far he has made a good fist of it, and is repaying the confidence shown in him. Which is as it should be.

Also, when he turned up for Mt Gravatt training last season, he was a lean 106kg. After a full year of weights and running he is 98kg.

Last edited:
Buzza was terrific, if he wasnt clunking marks he was tapping it intelligently to the advantage of the small forwards. Have never particularly rated him but I must say he is really impressing me. Looks a lot fitter too.

Isaac Corvo was brilliant I thought, such a big unit and took some really nice intercept marks. Wagner was brilliant and proved once again that he can do some really special things, that hanger he took in the square was awesome. Keays probably didnt have the impact he would have liked but still got his hands on the footy, I'll be interested to see his stats. Reuben William was terrific in the first half, really reads the play well and makes some good decisions. However at this stage I am unsure of what position is - he's a real utility type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back