Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Just my opinion, but Hipwood looks brittle to me. Not a big robust type like Buzza.

Durability is one of a players biggest assets. I feel Hipwood at that level will get busted. No one wants injured players on the sidelines.
Hipwood still 17 and body still a long way from developed. Not 18 until season 2015 is finished. Buzza already 19 years old...... 1 1/2 years older.But really, they are totally different types of players and I have a hard time doing a comparison. (dont really know why anyone would want to!!!)
Personally think both would be assets to any AFL club long term.

Just my opinion, but Hipwood looks brittle to me. Not a big robust type like Buzza.

Durability is one of a players biggest assets. I feel Hipwood at that level will get busted. No one wants injured players on the sidelines.

I hope we take both. Buzza has shown good development and I really like his rucking ability which has been a bit disguised in junior football this year. I think he could be a very nice second ruck / 3rd tall forward option. I love the physicality he brings to the game and having a Mumford like ruck suddenly makes a lot of midfielders worry about what they are doing.

Hipwood I definitely see as a defender. I like him as a Josh Gibson like 3rd tall who can read and react to a contest. I like the wall we would be building at the back.

I am really keen to get Keays as well and the other I really hope we pick up is Weller. Weller is another physical presence who plays the game a lot like Dustin Martin. Skills still need a lot of work but they are coming along. He is a superior athlete who would add strength and pace to our side and for someone so new to the game I think he reads it well.

Every time Forward we Go mentions 'preferred players' he always misses one of them...

But when he does mention him, he never misses him...

He has very few posts. Looking at his previous posts leads me to believe he has a vested interest in one of the players he is continually mentioning... But doesn't admit to it..

Pot, kettle....

Just my opinion, but Hipwood looks brittle to me. Not a big robust type.

Could you perhaps suggest a more durable academy KPP................?

Edit: ah, lol, you edited your post to make it even more obvious.

Every time Forward we Go mentions 'preferred players' he always misses one of them...

But when he does mention him, he never misses him...

He has very few posts. Looking at his previous posts leads me to believe he has a vested interest in one of the players he is continually mentioning... But doesn't admit to it..
I have a vested interest in any Brisbane Lions Academy kid that looks like he'll play afl at the top level. If so, I really really would like them to be at the Lions primarily because I get all bitter & twisted when I see an interstate draftee piss off as soon as they can. Home grown is best.

Could you perhaps suggest a more durable academy KPP................?

Edit: ah, lol, you edited your post to make it even more obvious.
Guess him running round with his knee heavily strapped gave me the wrong impression..

Hipwood still 17 and body still a long way from developed. Not 18 until season 2015 is finished. Buzza already 19 years old...... 1 1/2 years older.But really, they are totally different types of players and I have a hard time doing a comparison. (dont really know why anyone would want to!!!)
Personally think both would be assets to any AFL club long term.
17yo with 10 seasons AFL experience. Buzza is 19yo, but has only 3 years AFL experience.. Although ten year of Rugby League experience, and rep RL experience..

Just my opinion, but Hipwood looks brittle to me. Not a big robust type.

Sounds exactly like how people described Andrews, he's been doing ok.

It will be interesting to see what happens with our current rookies this year and how that bodes for this years draft intake. We have the maximum rookie spots used up at the moment. One would think that O'Brien might be gone at the end of the season and perhaps Evans. As for the rest Archie would be on this ice and Bourke has to go somewhere (either senior list or gone). So probably at least 2 off that list at least. You'd imagine Beasley gets another year on there as well as Hammer and Hanley. Still if we got Dixon and Schache even Hammelman may be in a bit of trouble. Going to be interesting how we structure it.

Main list wise we've got one definite retirement in Maguire with Staker and probably Mcguane looking likely cuts. They're taken up by our first pick and then possibly hipwood and keays. From there Aish probably goes and then who knows with Golby and Lester and possibly one of Leuey/martin.

As I said, possibly seeing him run around with his knee heavily strapped has given me the wrong impression..?

You support Gold Coast and your second team is Melbourne, I have no idea how your mind works :p

Sometimes those tall wiry players are a lot stronger than they look.

But I make no secret.
No, but as POBs implied, trying to knock another teenager just to trumpet your own horse is Not Cool.

FWIW, I hope the club drafts both of them, but you risk tainting Buzza by association if you're going to use grubby tactics to promote him, whatever your connection to him is...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, but as POBs implied, trying to knock another teenager just to trumpet your own horse is Not Cool.

FWIW, I hope the club drafts both of them, but you risk tainting Buzza by association if you're going to use grubby tactics to promote him, whatever your connection to him is...

FWIW, here is, in my opinion a list of (6) academy boys (in preferential order) who I would like to see on the lions list however I understand fully that we cant have them all:

1. Ben Keays: Ball magnet and has a good footy brain. Almost ready for action immediately.
2. Cory Wagner: Most consistent performer in State & NEAFL games this year. Doesn't get the ball as much as Ben but always does something positive with it when he does.
3. Eric Hipwood: Raw, versatile & has exciting potential. Rare commodity in that he can play forward & back.
4. Rueben Williams: Last 6 weeks has been sensational. More continuous improvement like the last few weeks and we will have an AFL footballer without question.
5. Nate Dennis: For me the best tap ruckman in Div 2 championships. Needs to develop more around the ground with his marking & kicking however has a huge engine which allows him to run all day.
6. Wylie Buzza: Great potential and needs to keep improving every game. Good hands and pretty straight kick for goal.

Just my opinion, so feel free, but to my uneducated eye, based on the available talent at 2's level, there should be the capacity for a very big clearance sale.

Ie, our capacity for intake of new blood, sorely needed IMHO, shouldn't be a problem.

Would be interesting if we get bids that high for BOTH of our top academy prospects. Keays I can understand but pick 14 for Hipwood I thought is a bit of a reach. We will still match it though as it will cost us pick 37 + some carry over... unless we get an end of round compo pick then we won't get any carry over and could still take another academy prospect later in the draft.

Would be interesting if we get bids that high for BOTH of our top academy prospects. Keays I can understand but pick 14 for Hipwood I thought is a bit of a reach. We will still match it though as it will cost us pick 37 + some carry over... unless we get an end of round compo pick then we won't get any carry over and could still take another academy prospect later in the draft.

I think you may be forgetting that we will probably go after a player or two in trade week, meaning it may be harder to obtain both if they receive Top 20 bids :thumbsu:

Brett Anderson said that Hipwood was around the 50 - 60 mark before the Championships; now he's a first rounder o_O

Time will tell I guess...

I think you may be forgetting that we will probably go after a player or two in trade week, meaning it may be harder to obtain both if they receive Top 20 bids :thumbsu:

Brett Anderson said that Hipwood was around the 50 - 60 mark before the Championships; now he's a first rounder o_O

Time will tell I guess...

We are also likely to lose Aish and Leuenberger who will give us something coming in return.

Hipwood has been moving up the draft board for clubs since he moved into defence. That was before the Champs but I do agree when he was playing up forward he was not thought of nearly as highly. The move back has really highlighted what he can do and why most have been moving him up. He is rightly considered in first round consideration.

We are also likely to lose Aish and Leuenberger who will give us something coming in return.

Hipwood has been moving up the draft board for clubs since he moved into defence. That was before the Champs but I do agree when he was playing up forward he was not thought of nearly as highly. The move back has really highlighted what he can do and why most have been moving him up. He is rightly considered in first round consideration.
Hugh Goddard went early twenties so I imagine more around this mark and later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back