Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. N/A means we can take them with our existing picks.

I've got a deluxe version that can be updated on the fly to figure out what picks a given bid needs to be matched with since those questions come up so often, but the above was just a basic set because work was shitting me. :p
I'm not good at these things. Does it mean, for example, that in the unlikely event that Keays and Hipwood attracted bids of pick 8 and 9 respectively, that we would have to use our first two picks on them and relinquish later picks worth (in points) the equivalent of pick 22?

I'm not good at these things. Does it mean, for example, that in the unlikely event that Keays and Hipwood attracted bids of pick 8 and 9 respectively, that we would have to use our first two picks on them and relinquish later picks worth (in points) the equivalent of pick 22?

If Keays and Hipwood attracted bids of pick 8 and 9, we would need to give up all our current picks plus have traded in the equivalent of pick 22 to avoid going into debt next year. The third column is the "if we give up all our picks, what extra pick equivalent would we need to avoid going into debt?" column.

If Keays and Hipwood attracted bids of pick 8 and 9, we would need to give up all our current picks plus have traded in the equivalent of pick 22 to avoid going into debt next year. The third column is the "if we give up all our picks, what extra pick equivalent would we need to avoid going into debt?" column.
Just to be clear, excluding pick 2.

It is good to know how versatile Hipwood is. I wonder where the club sees him playing long term. Interesting that he can also play in the ruck.
Not sure that rucking ability will translate to senior level. A bit like Westhoff or Goodes, I reckon. They can ruck but it puts unsustainable pressure on their bodies.

Initially I thought Andrews looked like he'd end up as a ruckman because I didn't think he was mobile enough to play as a KPP but it sounds like Hipwood is even more mobile and should be able to hold down a key position.

Not sure that rucking ability will translate to senior level. A bit like Westhoff or Goodes, I reckon. They can ruck but it puts unsustainable pressure on their bodies.

Yeah I am not aware of his rucking ability I just found it interesting that he can apparently play the role. I guess he is the right height and maybe if he fills out he could end up there. There will be a massive push for athletic forwards who can ruck as well.

Totally just noticed this as well:
CP-csHzUwAAcXKi.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In what is fairly widely regarded as a shallowish draft, I'm finding it harder to imagine a scenario where Chol makes it through to rookie draft. Seems like lots of agreement on the top 25, but then it gets a bit fuzzy. If you are going to get speculative, it might as well be with a quick 6'6 athlete.

Wylie Buzza didnt make the cut it seems :( Nor Nate Dennis.
As Wylie was only invited into the Academy this year, despite the Lions academy knowing about him for the previous 3 seasons, im pretty sure that having only being in the academy for 1 season makes him ineligible as an academy draft pick (or whatever its called).

Why he wasn't in the academy last season, having played for the QLD u18s side, God only knows. Why the academy run 'future stars' to try and attract code converts, and then ignore the exact type of kid they are looking for is confusing.

Certainly gives him more opportunity to get drafted id say.

So in the next draft, the Lions will draft a homesick southerner....and send a QLDer down south to get homesick.. That sounds about right.

As Wylie was only invited into the Academy this year, despite the Lions academy knowing about him for the previous 3 seasons, im pretty sure that having only being in the academy for 1 season makes him ineligible as an academy draft pick (or whatever its called).

Nope.

Listing of Club Academy Player

1. (a) Players Eligible

Subject to Rule 14.4(d), a Club may include a Club Academy Player on its Primary List if he has been domiciled in the Club’s Academy Region for a period of 5 continuous years immediately prior to attaining draft eligibility age, unless otherwise approved by the AFL.

So only residency restrictions. Sorry, it just looks like the Lions didn't rate your boy as highly as yourself.

Personally I like Buzza a lot more than Chol. Chol does an occasional good thing but he lacks application and he seems to float through games. At least Buzza when he is around the ball really makes an impact. I thought Buzza was pretty close to the best around the ground ruck at the Champs this year bar none. When he had an opportunity to ruck he consistently dominated. With Chol and Dennis he did not get a hell of a lot of chances though. It is worth noting that when he got his Rising Star nomination this year it was one of the few games when he had an opportunity to play in the ruck.

Both players are only 198cm which is a bit short for an AFL ruck. Buzza has been an effective forward all year. Not dominating but consistently impacting the scoreboard both for himself and for his other forwards. He is the physical presence that Chol is not. In fact Chol has been completely ineffective whenever I have seen him in a key position role. I thought he was very disappointing in this regard.

Buzza I can see playing as a forward at AFL level and being an effective second ruck. I do not see Chol making it as an AFL ruck. With that said it looks very much like Chol will get the chance but Buzza may not. Personally I hope someone does give him that chance and it will be a real shame it is not us.

Personally I like Buzza a lot more than Chol. Chol does an occasional good thing but he lacks application and he seems to float through games. At least Buzza when he is around the ball really makes an impact. I thought Buzza was pretty close to the best around the ground ruck at the Champs this year bar none. When he had an opportunity to ruck he consistently dominated. With Chol and Dennis he did not get a hell of a lot of chances though. It is worth noting that when he got his Rising Star nomination this year it was one of the few games when he had an opportunity to play in the ruck.

Both players are only 198cm which is a bit short for an AFL ruck. Buzza has been an effective forward all year. Not dominating but consistently impacting the scoreboard both for himself and for his other forwards. He is the physical presence that Chol is not. In fact Chol has been completely ineffective whenever I have seen him in a key position role. I thought he was very disappointing in this regard.

Buzza I can see playing as a forward at AFL level and being an effective second ruck. I do not see Chol making it as an AFL ruck. With that said it looks very much like Chol will get the chance but Buzza may not. Personally I hope someone does give him that chance and it will be a real shame it is not us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back