Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2009
Alice Springs NT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Territory Thunder,Waratahs FC
Hi lads
I was thinking of getting a painting made by one of our indigenous Brothers in the colours of Teal black and white but it is so hard to match the actual colour of teal in an acrylic paint that actually looks anything like our current teal seeing that it changes every 2 years.
Do any of the more knowledgeable chaps have any idea what the actual paint colour would be called?
The shirt is a different shade to the Guernsey which is a different shade to the hats etc. Unfortunately it's not all black and white.
Here is a photo of a painting I already have. Although this photo looks almost spot on.The actual painting is much darker similar to our earlier teal colour.
IMG_4109.JPG

This was a mixed up paint but I wonder if anyone knows of an actual paint in that particular colour?
People have said before that it is colour(xyz?) which means absolutely nothing.

Using CMYK the current teal on our guernsey is approx 78, 13, 37, 0

But I wouldn't worry about getting it too exact. The colour changes all of the time so as long as it's green, blue or in between, it's fine.

Yep PMS 320 is the official colour since around 2000. I went into the megastore about 10 years ago and asked what the official colour is and the guy serving me rang up some one in the Alan Scott building and told him it was colour number 320.

The following document has 17 pages of colours -992 colours.

Pantone ® Matching System - PMS - Color Guide

The Pantone ® Matching System is the industry standard color matching
system. The color formula guide provides an accurate method for selecting,
specifying, broadcasting, and matching colors through any medium around
the world. It is the ideal way to ensure true colors when you select your
imprint. This color chart below may vary slightly depending on monitors, but
offers a rough way to narrow colors. If absolute true colors are necessary, a
Pantone ® Color Formula Book is recommended.

http://www.goalfie.com/pdfs/pmschart.pdf

The original colour in 1995 when we announced the nicknmae and guernsey was PMS - 321 but that changed around 2000 when we dropped the Port Power logo.

PMS 3135, PMS 3145 and PMS 3272 are similar to either PMS 320 or 321 and have probably been used by some manufacturers of our merchandise since 1995.

This is what PMS 320 looks like according to the following site but your computer monitor and brightness may affect what it looks like on screen.

http://www.myperfectcolor.com/en/color/379447_PMS-320

Yep PMS 320 is the official colour since around 2000. I went into the megastore about 10 years ago and asked what the official colour is and the guy serving me rang up some one in the Alan Scott building and told him it was colour number 320.

The original colour in 1995 when we announced the nicknmae and guernsey was PMS - 321 but that changed around 2000 when we dropped the Port Power logo.

PMS 3135, PMS 3145 and PMS 3272 are similar to either PMS 320 or 321 and have probably been used by some manufacturers of our merchandise since 1995.

This is what PMS 320 looks like according to the following site but your computer monitor and brightness may affect what it looks like on screen.

You sir are a freak! To much time on your hands!

Quick answer, grab your self a Pantone Book and work it out yourself, like we all have!

You sir are a freak! To much time on your hands!

Quick answer, grab your self a Pantone Book and work it out yourself, like we all have!

Had a discussion about this on thepowerfromport.com earlier this year.

But back in 2003 I was pissed off with Chinese merchandise manufactured teal green. So many of our merchandise items had so many different colours, so when I was back in Adelaide during the footy season that year, I was determined to find what the bloody hell was the right colour and then seek out the right charts so I could buy the merchandise with the right colour.

10 years on things are better, but the teal still varies from merchandise product to product.

By hell it's a hard one to match.
Thanks for your help Gentlemen and Ladies if any of you helped too?

Hi lads
I was thinking of getting a painting made by one of our indigenous Brothers in the colours of Teal black and white but it is so hard to match the actual colour of teal in an acrylic paint that actually looks anything like our current teal seeing that it changes every 2 years.
Do any of the more knowledgeable chaps have any idea what the actual paint colour would be called?
The shirt is a different shade to the Guernsey which is a different shade to the hats etc. Unfortunately it's not all black and white.
Here is a photo of a painting I already have. Although this photo looks almost spot on.The actual painting is much darker similar to our earlier teal colour.
IMG_4109.JPG

This was a mixed up paint but I wonder if anyone knows of an actual paint in that particular colour?
People have said before that it is colour(xyz?) which means absolutely nothing.

good work

Just got out my 2014 ISC polo with Renault logo(energy Australia came on board a Week later) and it is quite similar in the sun.
By hell it is a hard color to matchEvery bit of paraphanalia is toned just that bit differently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teal is unreal.Not too popular with some of the black and white brigade on here though.:confused:

As Sam Kekovich in a North Melbourne members ad that ran on 3AW for a couple of months, must have been about 5-6 years ago as I was still in Sydney, said; "and we dont wear a work shy, ponty tailed, advertising executive colour like teal."

Its not a real colour. Its a BS marketing colour from USA sports/marketing gurus for kids. Since expansion of the 4 major leagues in the North American sports in the early 1990's the new teams have been encouraged to use Teal, Orange or Purple as surveys show "kids love these colours."

We should have used a "sea blue" type colour to represent our origins and ties in with our orginal nickname back in the 1870's Cockledivers and then Seasiders.

But I gotta admit, some of the new merchandise this year, especially around the NTUA stuff, with the main colour being black, some white and with thin lines of Teal the Teal looks very good.

See BomberClifford's post up above, it is correct.

Hey REH, ours is described as teal blue and not just teal. The 4 new expansion teams using the colour were using teal and teal green, for what its worth. Had we not used teal blue the word from Abernathy was that we may have used sky blue.

Nevertheless, black and white is Port Adelaide, the teal blue is a great and unique colour, but it is best left off of a football jumper.

Anyway, the thread is about helping this guy find the right teal. Official Port merchandise the teal is very consistent now. Other branded merchandise and pretend merchandise at other stores and other manufacturers don't pay that much attention to getting it exactly right. It's just that it is a colour that a little left or right and it can change quickly. Other club colours are not so consistent either between manufacturers but it isn't so noticeable.

Last edited:
Its not a real colour. Its a BS marketing colour from USA sports/marketing gurus for kids. Since expansion of the 4 major leagues in the North American sports in the early 1990's the new teams have been encouraged to use Teal, Orange or Purple as surveys show "kids love these colours."
What do you class as a real colour?Or is it Color these days?
ROYGBIV is the color of the spectrum.Black and white are not part of the spectrum.Orange and purple(violet) are.
images5.jpg

That blue looks almost teal

See BomberClifford's post up above, it is correct.

Hey REH, ours is described as teal blue and not just teal. The 4 new expansion teams using the colour were using teal and teal green, for what its worth. Had we not used teal blue the word from Abernathy was that we may have used sky blue.

Nevertheless, black and white is Port Adelaide, the teal blue is a great and unique colour, but it is best left off of a football jumper.

Anyway, the thread is about helping this guy find the right teal. Official Port merchandise the teal is very consistent now. Other branded merchandise and pretend merchandise at other stores and other manufacturers don't pay that much attention to getting it exactly right. It's just that it is a colour that a little left or right and it can change quickly. Other club colours are not so consistent either between manufacturers but it isn't so noticeable.

We started of in 1995 using Teal with the green shade. All our marketing was Teal ie PMS 321. In 2000 cant remember if it was before the season started or at end of it, we dropped Port Power and went to Teal blue PMS 320. But in our marketing we dont refer to it as Teal Blue but just Teal.

That's why I say its not a real colour. Its either Teal or nothing else. This need to distinguish between Teal Blue or Teal Green is crap.

This thread is over 12 months old and we helped the Op writer with it back then. The OP writer has bumped it 14 months later so the discussion on other related teal issues is open I would say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back