Addam Maric: Why draft him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Noticed from the Coburg thread, Wheeler was named BOG ( Anzac medalist ) for the Burgers today . Amazing that some couldn't see what was right under their nose ?
And Carnell as well.:(

Noticed from the Coburg thread, Wheeler was named BOG ( Anzac medalist ) for the Burgers today . Amazing that some couldn't see what was right under their nose ?

yep agree whole heartedly here. was one who insisted we should give him a go and a few others.

you only need look at his pros - quick off the mark, tackles hard, prolific ball winner, wins his own ball, kicks goals, wins clearances and is clean by that i mean hes one touch. to top it off one only has to just a bit of research to see he desperately wants to play afl and thus works damn hard and has a huge desire to do better. has won awards and now dominates at vfl level and is only what 21 this yr i think.

im going to harp on it and people will go mad but we could have had wheeler, sundberg horsley and sam dwyer last yr with very late nd or rookie picks.and still taken a shedload of kids with our better picks.

yet we extend contracts to the likes of white jackson mcguane edwards etc rather than take a punt on someone dominating at state league. sheesh turn it around and ask would these blokes dominate state leauge i cant see it.

yet another midget draft not done well

What were you expecting from a 22 yr old recycled afl player who was picked up in the rookie draft; 30 touches a game? 4 goals a game? Racking up brownlow votes?

Some expect a bit much too soon, no doubt he will have benchmarks to work on at coburg and if & when he ticks the required boxes i imagine he will be back.

What were you expecting from a 22 yr old recycled afl player who was picked up in the rookie draft; 30 touches a game? 4 goals a game? Racking up brownlow votes?

Some expect a bit much too soon, no doubt he will have benchmarks to work on at coburg and if & when he ticks the required boxes i imagine he will be back.

well for one I would not have drafted him full stop- others there in the draft way ahead of him but only my view cowboy

well for one I would not have drafted him full stop- others there in the draft way ahead of him but only my view cowboy

I too was surprised Tex when we picked him but we did.

It's easy now after he has played two games to say he is crap and this bloke or that bloke would have been better but I can only imagine someone saw something in him to even consider him to be taken as a rookie. I can't imagine we just had a rookie pick left over and the club rang Greg Miller for advice on who to take?

Amazing that you think getting a BOG in a VFL game means you should have been drafted.

Amazing that you think getting a BOG in a VFL game means you should have been drafted.

id say you are being selective. his bog is just an extension of his time at vfl level.did you read nothing about recruiting mature players from state leagues last yr.

He shouldn't be at the club . Is to small and his defensive efforts are non existent . His spot upon the rookie list should have been taken by a mid who can kick goals . Very very poor list management decision IMO .
This..

I would rather see us give opportunities to indigenous players for that position, where are our betts and gartletts??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not at all , I have been crowing on about this bloke for 2 years since I seen him at TAC level .
On a side note the draft I believe he should have been taken was previous to yesterday's BOG .:confused:

This..

I would rather see us give opportunities to indigenous players for that position, where are our betts and gartletts??

Gibson Turner. You don't know until you give him a go. When Gartlett started his kicking was substandard. He has worked hard with the chances he has been given and now is one of their most dangerous forwards.

I know the club has said no gifting but I feel that is a big mistake. Development just doesn't stop overnight; it is a continual process. Look at the top teams. They are always putting games into juniors as playing AFL often needs a different skill set to VFL. A guy like Garlett would almost certainly struggle in the VFL - the thuggery, inferior grounds, poorer delivery etc etc would decrease his effectiveness.

If you want to compare the 2 on performances this year:
Yesterday Maric was unlucky not to be given BOG and the other game he played for Coburg he was BOG. Also, Maric had a great NAB cup. So I think people should quit harping on about how we made the wrong choice between Maric and Wheeler. Maric has proven himself at the same level (VFL) as at least the equal, but probably better, than Wheeler. On the evidence so far based on football ability Maric has been the right choice. We go on about players proving themselves at the VFL first and Maric has done exactly that but he is still hammered:confused:

Not at all , I have been crowing on about this bloke for 2 years since I seen him at TAC level .
On a side note the draft I believe he should have been taken was previous to yesterday's BOG .:confused:

Yep, all 18 clubs passed him by numerous times yet they were all wrong and you were 'correct'.

Melbourne got rid of Maric not because he lacked talent but because he lacked in other areas......

I'm guessing we thought if we could improve his deficiencies then we woulkd have a decent small.....

Did we fix those "other areas over summer"?????

Maric is the type of player we need to go back to the VFL and work on his game...... and EARN his spot.

Getting elevated on the back of some flashy NAB games just dosen't cut it.

Melbourne got rid of Maric not because he lacked talent but because he lacked in other areas......

I'm guessing we thought if we could improve his deficiencies then we woulkd have a decent small.....

Maric is the type of player we need to go back to the VFL and work on his game...... and EARN his spot.

Maric's biggest asset is leg speed...but in the opening game against Carlton he didnt even utilize that to advantage...

Hoping he developes...:thumbsu:...

Agree with you in some ways.

If Maric could bulk up and put on 5-7kg of muscle he may put his body on the line more often and put on more defensive pressure.

He could be a real weapon then in the mould of a Stevie Milne.

Yep, all 18 clubs passed him by numerous times yet they were all wrong and you were 'correct'.

Maybe other clubs had greater preference for a different type of player .
Fwiw I think their offensive ability in their revelent roles is similar .
The reason I wanted and still think we should have taken Wheeler is that he is a midfielder who goes forward , where as Maric is solely a offensive small forward. .
IMO Wheeler is better defensively and given he hasn't had the advantage of being on a AFL list he would have greater scope for improvement .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back