Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

just another event at adelaide oval that is impossible to get tickets to...
It was possible to get tickets to quite a few AFL games, maybe not at the gate but in the days leading up.
It was possible to get tickets to the SANFL Grand Final.
It was possible to get tickets to the T20I v South Africa, every single day of the Test, a couple of the Strikers games. With the Strikers again not at the gate but most games they were posting "tickets still available but hurry" on social media that morning.
It's not possible to get tickets to the Shield but thats because they don't sell them :p

In general we're not playing major events with a half-full stadium.

This game would have sold out the MCG or the 150,000 Pyongyang Stadium if they had played it there, so saying AO isn't big enough for it is a bit of a moot point.

Isnt it pathetic that you need to have Foxtel to watch the biggest game arguably of the WC in prelim stages???? Should be a free to air TV. Especially given the strong Indian population now in Australia.

I think its going to cool by the arvo so may not peak.

A billion people Ind-Paki rivalry, kinda puts Showdowns in perspective. I do hope in my lifetime I get to see a Showdown Grand Final. It would be the greatest sporting event to hit this state. At Saturday arvo in the last day in September the city would officially shut down. lol

Want it on FTA, want, want - the game needs $money for the stadiums, for the players, for the admin/development - get used to no FTA because thats the way sport is going, if you want to watch, you'll need to put your hand in your pocket !!

Want it on FTA, want, want - the game needs $money for the stadiums, for the players, for the admin/development - get used to no FTA because thats the way sport is going, if you want to watch, you'll need to put your hand in your pocket !!

I agree. I have foxtel and the bottom line is that you cannot say you seriously follow any sport if you dont have foxtel.

At least C9 should have been able to cherry pick the top games in this group phase. Im just so happy and proud that SA will be the world's focus for today's game. The ICC have picked the right venue, MCG may not have sold out, but the stadium capacity of this ground is going to be fever-pitch when India bat.

When the Crows beat the Pies in last years H&A match at AO, the whole sirengate issue came about because the crowd was so loud.

It was possible to get tickets to quite a few AFL games, maybe not at the gate but in the days leading up.
It was possible to get tickets to the SANFL Grand Final.
It was possible to get tickets to the T20I v South Africa, every single day of the Test, a couple of the Strikers games. With the Strikers again not at the gate but most games they were posting "tickets still available but hurry" on social media that morning.
It's not possible to get tickets to the Shield but thats because they don't sell them :p

In general we're not playing major events with a half-full stadium.

This game would have sold out the MCG or the 150,000 Pyongyang Stadium if they had played it there, so saying AO isn't big enough for it is a bit of a moot point.

so it better to have 50k when you could have 60K to games?? wait the trees... I forgot

I agree. I have foxtel and the bottom line is that you cannot say you seriously follow any sport if you dont have foxtel.

At least C9 should have been able to cherry pick the top games in this group phase. Im just so happy and proud that SA will be the world's focus for today's game. The ICC have picked the right venue, MCG may not have sold out, but the stadium capacity of this ground is going to be fever-pitch when India bat.

When the Crows beat the Pies in last years H&A match at AO, the whole sirengate issue came about because the crowd was so loud.

To be fair there are quite a few sports you can seriously follow with a digital pass. Out of intrigue, does cricket have anything like that?

I watch literally every Aston Villa game without Foxtel, and the vast majority of Miami Dolphins games.

I'll move into the Pay TV market when the model isn't absolutely ridiculous. Until then I don't have to miss any games if I don't want to.

Excuse my ignorance, can you give us a couple of examples & how its relevant to Aus media.

AFL and NRL both have digital passes (run by Telstra) where you can view every game on a mobile device. This may not be as ideal as Foxtel for comfort but it's certainly enough to "follow the sport seriously".

Why do Victorians still live in the 20th century.
The rest of Australia has caught up with the rest of the world with sports being on paytv.

so it better to have 50k when you could have 60K to games?? wait the trees... I forgot
It's about money.
Money is in hospitality.
Building huge stands does nothing. Why get 99k in at $50 and 1k in at $1,000 when you can get 48k in at $50 and 5k in at $1,000?

That's an extra $150,000 Adelaide Oval would make over a pre-04 MCG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do Victorians still live in the 20th century.
The rest of Australia has caught up with the rest of the world with sports being on paytv.

And why every single one of those other sports in this country continually looks to FTA right? The Soccer and Union codes are desperately trying to get more FTA exposure. League would kill for AFL level exposure on FTA. Its not all about the money. Its about balance. the AFL can afford its current arrangement and reach most of its fans, other codes cant afford it at the moment. That may or may not change in the future.

Fact is sport on Paytv potentially reaches 30% of the population. FTA allows you a much wider reach.

And why every single one of those other sports in this country continually looks to FTA right? The Soccer and Union codes are desperately trying to get more FTA exposure. League would kill for AFL level exposure on FTA. Its not all about the money. Its about balance. the AFL can afford its current arrangement and reach most of its fans, other codes cant afford it at the moment. That may or may not change in the future.

Fact is sport on Paytv potentially reaches 30% of the population. FTA allows you a much wider reach.

In the AFL, all States are looked at individually & programmed accordingly. As such it increases the value of FTA, reduces the value of pay, but if the AFL wants an EPL type increase in $s, FTA will get less & less of the fixtures.
Dont remember ever reading Dave Smith looking for more games on FTA, after all NRL have Origin.

In the AFL, all States are looked at individually & programmed accordingly. As such it increases the value of FTA, reduces the value of pay, but if the AFL wants an EPL type increase in $s, FTA will get less & less of the fixtures.
Dont remember ever reading Dave Smith looking for more games on FTA, after all NRL have Origin.

lets move that discussion over to TV rights please.

capacity 53,500.
THe areas blocked out would reduce that to about 50k.
The hill looks about 1/3 the desnity of footy season, probably brings it down to 48k.
The members isn't overselled, so there's no 3 deep in the members, probably reduces it to 46k
Then some empty blocks in the Riverbank stand, probably down to 44.5k
And just from eye site, it wasn't 100% capacity elsewhere so it would drop down a little.

41k is about right when you think about it

B94RgOzIcAALN-Z.jpg:large

Remove this Banner Ad

Back