Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

That's exactly right. The stand was upgraded by SACA for SACA, before any plans of upgrading the rest of the venue. It was built as a grandstand which would be used mainly in summer for watching cricket.

Thought so, make that as big as the other stand and boom 60k. Will be nice to have a few summer's of cricket without any upgrades though, it's been a while.

That's exactly right. The stand was upgraded by SACA for SACA, before any plans of upgrading the rest of the venue. It was built as a grandstand which would be used mainly in summer for watching cricket.
Wouldn't that side also be the best viewing part of the ground for watching the footy during the day with the sun setting behind it? In hindsight the stand really needed to be bigger..

Wouldn't that side also be the best viewing part of the ground for watching the footy during the day with the sun setting behind it? In hindsight the stand really needed to be bigger..
Yes, if we knew when the stand was built that the AFL would be moving there and cracking 50K nearly every week.
Then again, if the Don knew what would happen in the future, he may have been more accommodating of footy at AO back then and there may have never been an AAMI Stadium.
When the stand was designed and built, it was giant and a massive increase in the capacity and improvement in the facilities.

Capacity is good, supply/demand. You want sell outs every match, rather than only 1-2 sell outs a year in a 70k stadium. Check out the epl stadiums, yes it'd be easier to get a ticket if their stadiums were bigger, but a full crowd is amazing. It also makes people become members. If they had the option of not being a member and just rocking up to the games they wanted, they probably would. But having a season ticket makes it so much easier to access your premium seat, and you don't have to be on ticketek at 9am every time tickets gott released. It entices people to go to the poorer games, well because they've got their membership already so may aswell use it...

Capacity is good, supply/demand. You want sell outs every match, rather than only 1-2 sell outs a year in a 70k stadium. Check out the epl stadiums, yes it'd be easier to get a ticket if their stadiums were bigger, but a full crowd is amazing. It also makes people become members. If they had the option of not being a member and just rocking up to the games they wanted, they probably would. But having a season ticket makes it so much easier to access your premium seat, and you don't have to be on ticketek at 9am every time tickets gott released. It entices people to go to the poorer games, well because they've got their membership already so may aswell use it...

why one or 2 a year? every game is sold out now... there s waiting lists for membership tickets..most people don't go because they just cant get a ticket.

if it was 70k and they advertised tickets available at gate etc I reakon it is pulling 60 plus most weeks and blockbuster games are selling out

the gap between the eastern stand and riverbank stand is a waste of unused space

Looking forward to SANFL Finals at Adelaide Oval from next weekend.
If the Grand Final rematch was anything to go by, there'll be about 10,000 people there, maybe a few more, but then again the Crows are playing the next day.
I found that 10,000 was a good atmosphere there, in the lower seating bowl, and then for the Grand Final they'll open the other areas too.
2014_finals_matchups.jpg

If only there was a way to relocate the fig trees, because they need the extra stand badly.

But the look of the fig trees gives it the old Adelaide oval feel, and they are heritage listed. So don't know what the answer is.
They've already pissed away "that old Adelaide Oval feel." The hill doesn't resemble a hill it's so packed, which is a good thing, but I really think it's just a really well designed stadium that people really like. They haven't really maintained that classic old look it used to have. It's the way it is. The MCG doesn't resemble what it was, and if you made the WACA sit 50,000 that too would lose the relaxed, suburban, traditional look it has. It's like how the new Wembley is just a great stadium but no one goes "oh jeez they've really done well to keep it how it was."

People used to like AO, from interstate and abroad, because it had a classic, old look to it. That's totally gone now. I'm not saying it's bad or unappreciated, but it's not liked for the same reasons.

Port vs. Winner of QF needs to be a Friday Nighter imo.
They'll want to play the Semis as a double-header if possible. So will depend on AFL Finals matchups and times. Depends when Port play, if they get a home Elim Final, if Crows play at all...
If Power get a Saturday final, I'd say they'll play Sunday at AO. If Power get Sunday, then SANFL on Saturday. Playing Friday would prevent a double-header unless one game starts at 5:00, which would mean absolutely no crowd.

We were initially allocated row 1, aisle seats bay 544. After the Gold Coast game I ewnt to check the seats. My seat (1 in from the aisle) was fine, amazing view. But the actual aisle seat (dads seat) had half the ****ing field obstructed.

Luckily, in that period we could choose seats, we took 537, row 2.

Can't complain about these views every game......
10292521_723457364362082_160567979564988682_n.jpg
jd2010 - As per our discussion over lunch. That's the view I get at Adelaide Oval.

Similar to that you liked at the G?

If the Grand Final rematch was anything to go by, there'll be about 10,000 people there, maybe a few more, but then again the Crows are playing the next day.
I found that 10,000 was a good atmosphere there, in the lower seating bowl, and then for the Grand Final they'll open the other areas too.
2014_finals_matchups.jpg

The double headers at the oval before the upgrade used to get great crowds, I recall going back in 2007 and there would have been close to 20K there. Hopefully they can get bumper crowds this year for the finals (as well as good games of football).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The double headers at the oval before the upgrade used to get great crowds, I recall going back in 2007 and there would have been close to 20K there. Hopefully they can get bumper crowds this year for the finals (as well as good games of football).

The last double header at Adelaide Oval (2008), drew 25000 (Sturt v Norwood in the first semi, Glenelg v Centrals in the 2nd semi), and was probably the last time any lead-in final had any real atmosphere at it.

I still believe the biggest mistake with AO stadium is the capacity. It should be 60/70k.
I know I'll get the novelty will wear off crap..but I disagree.
It is selling out every week without even trying.
There is nothing else to do in boringlaide.
They made it the same capacity as Ammi stadium (a place where no one wanted to go) and now they have it in the city where everyone wants to go yet is same capacity.
It's impossible to get good seats now. More capacity more members more availability to non members...
u cant get tickets to big games, showdowns, forget finals.
even if it was 70 lower ticket prices and make it accessible to the whole state..

so all in all...love the place but needs bigger capacity, cheaper drinks, faster lines at the bar.

I can understand where you're coming from, on the first morning of public sales of Port V swans I couldn't get 2 seated tickets side by side anywhere in the stadium! The big surprise this year is how many Port games have been sellouts. Maybe its a case of its the neutral fans best shot at getting a ticket. Ideally this would be a 60k minimum venue, but with the hill and western stand issues, it was unavoidable. Considering the south and eastern sides are technically the worst viewing areas (sun, s/w winds bringing rain into eastern stand etc), its been magnificently designed.

The biggest factor in all of this, is going to be the ability to buy walkup, seated tickets to a cricket match in summer. :D

I can understand where you're coming from, on the first morning of public sales of Port V swans I couldn't get 2 seated tickets side by side anywhere in the stadium! The big surprise this year is how many Port games have been sellouts. Maybe its a case of its the neutral fans best shot at getting a ticket. Ideally this would be a 60k minimum venue, but with the hill and western stand issues, it was unavoidable. Considering the south and eastern sides are technically the worst viewing areas (sun, s/w winds bringing rain into eastern stand etc), its been magnificently designed.

The biggest factor in all of this, is going to be the ability to buy walkup, seated tickets to a cricket match in summer. :D
Look a simple measure to fix the capacity issues at Adelaide Oval is to see if these type of crowds persist for five or six years, if they do then introduce a third team in Adelaide..and Perth while we are at it.

Look a simple measure to fix the capacity issues at Adelaide Oval is to see if these type of crowds persist for five or six years, if they do then introduce a third team in Adelaide..and Perth while we are at it.

Are you on crack? Adelaide doesn't need a third team.

As for upgrading the ground, I don't have an issue with building a replica Southern Stand on the hill. Should take capacity to roughly 62k.

It wouldn't look too weird. It would be asymmetrical, similar to the Bernabeu or the Nou Camp.

Supply and demand. Make it too big and people will stop feeling the need to buy yearly tickets.
That was part of the problem at AAMI once they expanded it and the same thing may happen in WA.

Bigger stadium ==> higher costs and reduced demand.

Supply and demand. Make it too big and people will stop feeling the need to buy yearly tickets.
That was part of the problem at AAMI once they expanded it and the same thing may happen in WA.

Bigger stadium ==> higher costs and reduced demand.

The problem with AAMI was always the location and they should have never expanded it. Port never averaged over 36,000 a year at their time at AAMI, with 26,000 last year. 44,500 this year at AO says a lot.
Why not expand it, I get my chops busted every week for tickets, the demand's definitely there.
As a state we don't have to be pigeon-holed into thinking just over 50,000 is our max for an AFL game.

2014_finals_matchups.jpg

I'll be heading down. Think they'll want at least 15,000, especially for a double header. They got 10,000 for the anzac day game.

Definitely going for the Qualifying Final, but will probably miss the Elimination :(

Not sure if I will be going to any SANFL Finals the lower seating bowl sux for people in wheelchairs and can't get behind the goals for the GF on level 5.

The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and the Finals are back home at Adelaide Oval! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back