AFL 2015 - Carlton v Richmond, 7.20pm, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't play Liam Jones & Levi Casboult in the same side. So it'll be interesting to see how they manage those two through out the year.

Play the kids. Buckley, Graham, Boekhurst, Cripps. Not going to compete for a finals spot, still yet to really enter a re-building phase either.

Didn't see it live but just saw the replay. Probably the softest 4 points Richmond will ever bank.
Blues were very ordinary after quarter time. Tigers hardly impressive, just did enough to get the points over a team widely tipped to finish bottom 6.
Another season with your pearls of wisdom

Had we oflost many would of been bagging richmond...A win is a win no matter how soft...Dont forget 23 points down playing like carp then to win by 27 points....We got the 4 points,After this week lets see who else wins and loses

Is that idiot journo deliberately stupid? mick mentions carlton should have been more up at quarter time and harks on about the need to take your chances, and the journo then asks him if he thinks they missed an opportunity to kick more goals in the first?

Press conferences are a bloody waste of time, and only exist because there are too many journalists who can't write about the game without quotes from coaches.

Not an impressive win by the tiges but they got the job done playing well below their best. They will need to play much better than that to beat the doggies next week but overall I think it's a pretty good start to the season for them. The Blues on the other hand look like they are in for a long season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's round one people, relax. Sides are a bit scrappy at start of season.
I recall Sydney losing to GWS in round one last year before they went on to play in the grand final...

Which ended really well for us, yes.

Bit rich coing from a St.Kilda supporter... If these skills are so bad, where does that put your club?

In the world of reality. The Saints know what they are. Richmond are just kidding themselves.

The thing is though, where should they realistically be with the players they have? They don't exactly have a stunning list. I know that's partially on the coach, too, but you can't expect 18- and 19-year-old draft picks from the past couple of years to suddenly vault you up the ladder.

Would like to see what they could do as a side if they had everyone fit (particularly Kreuzer and Dale Thomas in the middle) at once.

They've got a list that should be competing age wise but they've got so many one dimensional plodders that they'll never get past week 1 of finals.

Even with a full side I reckon they max out at about 10th - they would be pushing it to play finals. They've got a long few years ahead, they were pretty lucky to go as well as they did under Ratten I thought. Their drafting and trading the last couple of years has been horrendous too, trying to top up with B-graders to "win now" but the guys they bring in are just as bad if not worse than those they replace (eg Jones for Waite).

Not a dominant performance, but with Cotchin, Lids, Martin & Miles all having poor games you've got to be happy with the 'second string' carrying us to a clear win like that.

I love Cotchin and Martin but they both really need to figure out how to work themselves into a game/win their own footy. They can get taken out of it and disappear far too easily. I don't know if it's because they're trying to play the "receiver" role but they need to win some contests themselves, run hard both ways and make their opponents accountable. Martin in particular gets caught between the play far too often. Hopefully they can both take the next step because they've got too much talent to have games like they did tonight (17 & 13 disposals). Richmond need them to be getting 25-30 disposals minimum each week if they're gonna take the next step.

I love Cotchin and Martin but they both really need to figure out how to work themselves into a game/win their own footy. They can get taken out of it and disappear far too easily. I don't know if it's because they're trying to play the "receiver" role but they need to win some contests themselves, run hard both ways and make their opponents accountable. Martin in particular gets caught between the play far too often. Hopefully they can both take the next step because they've got too much talent to have games like they did tonight (17 & 13 disposals). Richmond need them to be getting 25-30 disposals minimum each week if they're gonna take the next step.

Both of them usually get that many touches each week so I'm putting down to just a poor performance for both of them. Won't be surprised to see both get 25-30 disposals next week. It's a good thing that we can have other guys like Hunt, Taylor and Ellis step up and it didn't need to be left to the other 2.

Richmond were pretty decent for round 1. Only one game in but certainly appear a good solid top 8 chance with their spread. Who knows where that'll take them. Carlton on the other hand.... I'm not sure what to make of them. Look really slow like Essendon.

Not another year of this crap.... :(

Who would you target to replace MM? If you think he should go, assuming.

I wonder if Stewart Dew or Nathan Basset might be worth a go. But equally, if the club identifies that the club needs to rebuild its list and forget about finals, maybe its better to keep MM for a couple of years to bring on those kids and weather the storm.

Both averaged more than 25 possessions last season. Add to that 18 and 27 goals each. They are doing very well but certainly can still improve.

That's what they + Deledio have been doing for the past 3 seasons. We take the next step when players in our bottom 6 perform well consistently, like Hunt and McIntosh last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back